F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the tires that come on our rigs are junk compared to the aftermarket stuff available. I am wondering (and am sure others are as well) what tire work well for people and what tires are not recomended.

Looking for information like:

Make/ Manufacturer
Miles driven before replacement
Types of driving
Traction on snow, ice, mud, wet pavement, dry pavement ect.
Location of most of the driving
Ect.

Here is my info;

I live in ND, on my 2008 F150 I have ran BFG Rugged Trails 6 ply and was very dissapointed, traction was horrible in all conditions and tread wear sucked (28k before replacement).

Replaced with Toyo Open Country AT E-rated. Tread wear was really good (55K before replacement)
Deep snow and ice was far better than previous tire but wasnt superior. Dry and wet pavement was great.
Prob would say 60% highway and 30% hunting use.

Replaced with Yokohama AT/S, E-rated. Tread wear was outstanding (traded rig with 30K left on tires and had better than 2/3 tread remaining)
Deep snow and ice was way better than Toyo ( maybe 2 to 3 times better)
Same driving style 60/30

On my 2013 F150 i have factory 6 ply Goodyear SR-As and they suck. Mileage is poor, 7500 miles on the tires and I would not expect them to go 20K. I get stuck everywhere in the snow, and ice driving is white knuckled to say the least.

I am looking for a tire for my 2013 for the winter and was wondering what you guys run? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
160 Posts
What type of driving do you do for the other 10%? :cool:

This is great info though. I was leaning towards the Toyo's for my next rubber, but I'll definitely have to look into the Yokohama AT/S! I just have the stock tires that came with my truck. They have about 23k miles on em, but traction is awful in just the rain and I'm sure snow will be much worse.

Question, how was on-road driving with the Yokohama's? I heard the Toyo's are great for street and have little noise, how do the latter compare?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHAHA, the other 10% is garage time! The Yokos were quieter on the road, both were equally as stable cornering and the yokos didn't cup as much as the Toyos. I only rotate my tires every 5 to 10 thousand miles. I would definately say that in hard crushed over snow that you cant find a tire as good as the yokohamas. I am really interested in the BFG AT KOs but have not seen a definative answer from people reguarding them. I guess if there arent people ti chim in about them I will just get the Yokohama AT/S 10-plys again.

On a side note, I just moved from the Bakken oil area, and almost everyone that wasnt running a purely mud tire was running the Yokohamas I had.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too hate my Goodyear Wranglers that came on the truck. They have no sidewall strength and don't feel very stable to me. I plan on buying some Nitto Terra Grapplers as soon as i get the money up. I have them on my 01 F150 and love them. Pretty quiet and a good performer in all categories. I run a shop and put tons of Terra Grapplers on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks and i've heard no complaints. They have an XL load rated tire for our trucks in 275/65r18 (stock size) that i'll be going with for better stability while towing, while not riding as rough as a 10 ply, E load rated tire.

·
Registered
873 Posts
How have you noticed wear on the intros? I've head they're a good tire but most responses I've seen/heard is they only make it 30-40k at best. I can't ever seem to verify if that is the 10 ply option though.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
How have you noticed wear on the intros? I've head they're a good tire but most responses I've seen/heard is they only make it 30-40k at best. I can't ever seem to verify if that is the 10 ply option though.
Yeah the only complaint I have heard about these is that they don't last long.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Run the stock tires until they wear, rotating every 3K for best result. As mentioned they are junk, I have them as well, but they are also worth nothing in return if you take them off.
I have run Yokahama tires, they suck, Mastercraft great traction OK wear, Toyo tires lousy wear hard to keep balanced. I have Firestone Transforce tires on my diesel plow truck and they are the absolute best winter tire I've run so far, even better then Toyo open country M/T were brand new. I just traded an Xterra in on my new Ford with one year old Michelin LTX A/T and they were great tires. I'll probably look to those when I need new tires.
In most cases the best looking tires are going to give you the worst fuel economy, but if that is not what the object is then it doesn't matter. I personally don't like BFG because they are way over priced and there are so many other options offering the same or better ride/quality/wear without paying for the name.
Do some research, look to the small tire companies, they will give you better more accurate advice then the big box high volume stores will.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on your experiences with tires guys. I have seen a few trucks with the new Cooper AT3 (i think thats what they are called). Any one care to comment?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I strongly disagree on Toyo tires having terrible wear. I traded a truck in for my ecoboost. That truck had Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains 33/12.5/18's. I rotated them every 5,000 miles and they had 56,000 miles on them when I traded in the truck. Those tires had at LEAST 10,000 more miles left on them when I traded in the truck. They rode super smooth the entire time. That's why I bought them for my ecoboost. In my personal experience Toyo mud terrain tires have great wear.

·
Registered
510 Posts
May have to try those Toyo's. I have yet to get more than 35k out of any brand on a full size truck or suv. Even managed 25k on a set of Goodyears one time before they were bald.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running the stock until they are done, have 31K and they probable have 15K more in them. My previous truck, 2003 F250 4X4 had Big O Big Foots on it and I got 73K on them, best mileage I ever got on anything!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for the info on your experiences with tires guys. I have seen a few trucks with the new Cooper AT3 (i think thats what they are called). Any one care to comment?

I had 2 sets of Bridgestone Duellers on my 04 F-350 and really liked them. I also had a set of firestone wilderness and a set of coopers that were not worth a dam. When the Goodyears that came on my truck are done I will be putting Bridgestone Duellers (LT 275/65/18) on my "Boostie".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you plan to put on the standard duellers or the revo duellers?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Revo Duellers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts