F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New to the Forum and need your help. Sorry for the long post. I've got good news. I've got a 2011 F150 Ecoboost coming up on 191,000 miles. Love it. Runs great. I maintain it well. Doesn't burn oil. Hasn't had the timing chain problem (Did I just jinx myself??). It's only needed tires and brakes. I fixed the coolant reservoir hose and replaced the leaky water pump at 150k miles. That's it. I'm very pleased. Love this truck, especially for towing.

Now, for the BAD news. Twice, a few months ago, the engine wouldn't turn over. I wiggled the gear selector and it started. No problems since but... Today, I go out to start it and NO START. Wiggle the selector several times. Nothing. The P and N positions are NOT lit up but all other gears are lit up. No start. ( I'm going to clean the battery terminals in the morning in case voltage is slightly be off.) Any advice? Am I into the Digital Transmission Range Sensor (DTR) replacement, which is inside the transmission??? Please advise. Also, if it's the DTR, while my friends at Ford have it apart, should I put in the upgraded control/solenoid body, which comes with the connector plate? Or just replace the connector plate that contains the DTR ?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Steve

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I don't have an answer for your questions, but someone surely will.

However, it's always nice when someone shows up with a high mileage Ecobeast and reports a rather trouble free experience. We know statistically that there MUST be a sizable percentage of them out there.

I'll also go ahead and ask the obvious.....

What's been your maintenance routine? And have you babied it or worked it? (Since you commented on how well it tows, I suspect the truck has had some portion of its life chugging and stretching those wastegates)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you asked about maintenance and history. I bought the truck with 18,000 miles on it. Certified Pre-Owned. Since then, I've changed the oil about every 5K to 7K. In the early days, I mostly used Mobil 1 5W-30 extended, with a couple of changes with Schaeffers. For the last 75,000 miles I've just been going to Ford's Quick Lane using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend every 5K. (I take it in for service when the oil life indicator is between 25% and 30%.) Motorcraft oil filters its entire life.

Trans fluid changed three times with Mercon, complete drain and change filter. Engine coolant changed twice with Motorcraft coolant. Rear diff changed once with Amsoil synthetic. Spark plugs changed every 65,000 with latest Motorcraft recommendation. Ecoboost eats plugs! Don't go over 65,000 miles.

As to it's operating life, I drive moderately but tow often. Boat (5,000 lbs.), cargo trailer 3,000 lbs (every day), and travel trailers up to 8,700 lbs. Last year we made one 6,000 mile trip with our 8,000 lb. travel travel in July. 102 degrees air temperature running across Texas. NO over heating. Trans normally runs at 196 degrees. We never got it over 204 on that trip, even up hill!! Ford build this engine for towing. Pulls like a diesel and typically runs 1,900 to 2,100 RPM in 6th gear when I'm pulling down the interstate. I tow with premium in the tank. Mileages dips to 8.5 - 11.0 depending on the trailer weight and frontal area. Towing is mostly at 65 to 70mph on the interstate.

One last point and I don't want to start a war. I finally had the intake and combustion chambers cleaned chemically last month. I had visions of big chunks of hard carbon going through the turbos. Nope. It runs GREAT. Picked up about 1 MPG and throttle response is great. Not imaginary. I wish I could remember the name of the equipment they used. It was a programmed unit that did the work at idle. I'll post later when I find out. Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. Don’t know. I’ll check in the morning. What’s the significance? Safety interlock?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Did you say you tow EVERY day?
So your truck is pulling #3000 on its normal days and more when you aren't working?

That's actually amazing, when you think about it. 200,000 miles and most of them hitched to one cart or another.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I am a mobile sharpener and tow my “shop” around in a small cargo trailer. About 175 pounds oh generators sit in the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover. And this is our family vehicle.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hmmm. Don’t know. I’ll check in the morning. What’s the significance? Safety interlock?
So there is some shift interlock (whatever it's called) under there. A few months ago mine wouldn't go into park. Apparently, this safety interlock switch can go bad. It hasn't happened since.. really strange. I read that the gears won't display when it goes bad as well, it could be incorrect info. Just listen for the click, it will happen as soon as you touch the pedal. If you don't hear it, you may have found the culprit.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Although mine's an 18 and a console shifter, I can hear and feel that interlock when I press the brake. Without starting the truck, under accessory power, it's a noticeable click.

But it's even more complicated than that because if the keyfob is out of range, the interlock will not function, therefore you can't shift out of park.

I think that thwarts someone from simply driving off if they came up on the truck idling.

There's so many circuits and features to these trucks nowadays.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Hi All. New to the Forum and need your help. Sorry for the long post. I've got good news. I've got a 2011 F150 Ecoboost coming up on 191,000 miles. Love it. Runs great. I maintain it well. Doesn't burn oil. Hasn't had the timing chain problem (Did I just jinx myself??). It's only needed tires and brakes. I fixed the coolant reservoir hose and replaced the leaky water pump at 150k miles. That's it. I'm very pleased. Love this truck, especially for towing.

Now, for the BAD news. Twice, a few months ago, the engine wouldn't turn over. I wiggled the gear selector and it started. No problems since but... Today, I go out to start it and NO START. Wiggle the selector several times. Nothing. The P and N positions are NOT lit up but all other gears are lit up. No start. ( I'm going to clean the battery terminals in the morning in case voltage is slightly be off.) Any advice? Am I into the Digital Transmission Range Sensor (DTR) replacement, which is inside the transmission??? Please advise. Also, if it's the DTR, while my friends at Ford have it apart, should I put in the upgraded control/solenoid body, which comes with the connector plate? Or just replace the connector plate that contains the DTR ?

Do your dash lights stay on after locking the truck?
If you have the console shifter (not on the steering column), this may help you.
2011-2014 Ford F150 F-150 Instrument Cluster Repair Dash Light Staying on fix! | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

PROBLEM SOLVED : Battery was dying. Voltage was slightly below spec and caused a communication conflict. New Motorcraft battery fixed it. Dodged another bullet. Local Ford dealer was terrific.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
That's great news

1 - 14 of 14 Posts