F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to co own a boat and, since I do not have a towing vehicle decided on a Ford EcoBoost. I love the 2.7 and on paper it looks like it would get the job done - although it would be getting close to its capacity. The 3.5 would not have any problems , I am pretty sure about that.

Is anybody out here who frequently pulls a heavy trailer or a similar size boat with a 2.7. I would really love to heat from you.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts
What is the total weight of boat, full of gas, cargo in it, and trailer ? Does it also have a fresh water tank ? I think 7500 is about all you want, and maybe not that much if you will be towing up long steep hills or in the mountains. With most boat trailers, you don't have to worry much about tongue weight. The 2.7 Eco is looking like it could turn out to be the most reliable and trouble free F150 engine in the 2015 and newer trucks. The 3.5 Eco is just a real TowBeast.

Reactions: Axman

·
Registered
932 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum ! I hope you get an F150 Eco and stay with us.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
The 2.7 itself will have no issues towing it power wise. It will be like a dream. You really need to be more concerned about the trucks payload and axle capacities like Ark Eco said above. The 2.7's, in general, have lower payload and axle capacity as they come with a lower gross vehicle weight rating than the equal optioned 3.5 and 5.0 trucks. They are likely softer sprung and just lighter duty in general.

Just don't be like the guy in the other thread and look at an F150 that doesnt have a tow package and then get mad and go buy a Tundra. Make sure you get one with the factory tow package and preferable with a trailer brake controller just in case. You may not need to brake controller for the boat trailer, but they are nice to have and work exceptionally well when you do need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. This is what I came here for. You are really helping me a lot. And no, I won't buy one without a tow package. Also, is it true that it needs premium when towing? ( not a deal breaker by any means)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you guys. This is what I came here for. You are really helping me a lot. And no, I won't buy one without a tow package. Also, is it true that it needs premium when towing? ( not a deal breaker by any means)
Doesn't need premium. The manual says to use premium for increased performance. I have used 87 octane regular and 93 octane premium at different times. I couldn't tell the difference. Others will swear it makes a tremendous difference, but they must have a more sensitive butt dyno.

·
Administrator
10,585 Posts
Welcome buddy!

I have a camper that weighs 7000 loaded and my '16 2.7 with the 3.55 rear end does well with it. I have towed other loads weighing up to 7500 lbs with it. There's enough horsepower to go around, the engine pulling the load won't be a problem.

As mentioned, look at your payload rating. In general, the 2.7 trucks get a much lower gvwr than the other trucks. Most are around 6500 gvwr. Depending on options, this can leave you with a woefully unimpressive payload, which will severely limit your realistic towing ability. They get a lighter frame, smaller 8.8 diff, and inost cases only a 3 leaf spring pack.

My truck has a 6500 gvwr and a 1524 payload. Which is decent, but only just. I use all of that with my camper.

On an interesting side note, there was a guy in am f150 group today claiming his 2020 2.7 with 3.55 gear has a 9.75. This was in a thread speculating that all f150 trucks now have the 9.75. If he was right and his 2.7 does indeed have a 9.75, that's a game changer of sorts for us little guys.

However, he never produced a picture of the diff. So I'm doubtful. I asked for the axle code on the door jamb and all he'd give me was the window sticker. Which either doesn't have the axle code, or I couldn't make it out. He got defensive and said he has an older f150 with the 8.8 and he knows the difference.

My truck with my 93 tow tune, vs the 87 tow tune and 87 fuel gives a very noticeable difference by SOTP in towing power. The 87 tow tune with 93 in the tank isn't quite so bad. I can't say that I noticed as much difference on the Stock tune either with 87 vs 93.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Loving the 2.7. Of course I got a lot closer to buying since the watercraft I listed yesterday sold today for a ridiculous price. Didn't see that one coming.

Anyhow, does anybody have some 1 st hand experience comparing the 3.5 vs the 2.7 in towing and every day driving? Rest assured, my mind is made up on an EcoBoost ( wanted an EcoDiesel for the longest time but tow rating is not much better than the 2.7 - neither is gas mileage). Yes, gas mileage is a concern for me. Being raised on expensive European gas, it is just hard for me to ignore completely. So no Tundra, Hemi, Titan or Chevy in my future, LOL.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Thanks guys. Loving the 2.7. Of course I got a lot closer to buying since the watercraft I listed yesterday sold today for a ridiculous price. Didn't see that one coming.

Anyhow, does anybody have some 1 st hand experience comparing the 3.5 vs the 2.7 in towing and every day driving? Rest assured, my mind is made up on an EcoBoost ( wanted an EcoDiesel for the longest time but tow rating is not much better than the 2.7 - neither is gas mileage). Yes, gas mileage is a concern for me. Being raised on expensive European gas, it is just hard for me to ignore completely. So no Tundra, Hemi, Titan or Chevy in my future, LOL.
I have a 2014 3.5 and had a rental 2018 2.7 xlt crew cab 4x4 for 4 days in Charlotte. The 2.7 felt as quick as my tuned 3.5, maybe quicker. The gas mileage was far superior to my 3.5.

Its not a great comparison since my 3.5 is a 1st gen and its the older, heavier, steel body truck. But the 2.7 is no slouch.

If i was looking for a truck to daily drive and tow a boat a couple weekends a month, it would 100% be the 2.7. Its a great motor. I think it is the best half ton motor out there personally.

The ecodiesels scare the crap out of me. I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, which had a VM Motori 2.8L diesel, same company that makes the 3.0 Ecodiesel. They royal screwed up the Jeep diesel through corner cutting and penny pinching. It seems like they made a lot of the same mistakes with the 1st generation of ecodiesel. Not sure if the second gen(2019+) is the same but I would need a lot of convincing before i went and bought one.

I would take the new Chevy Duramax 3.0 over the Ecodiesel all day.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
932 Posts
Makes a huge difference in power in my 2013 with Gen 1 3.5. I have only ever used 87 E10 and 93 non-eth, so. I will likely go back to 87 after camping season and when I don't want my tires to spin so easily 😉 (winter).

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
@snakebitten has driven both.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Running empty, the 2.7 absolutely.
Towing occasionally, 2.7 absolutely
Towing often (a lot) but say 5500lbs or less, the 2.7 absolutely.
Towing up to 7000lbs occasionally and even long trips, the 2.7 absolutely.

So why would I ever choose the Gen2 3.5?

Towing greater than 7000 lbs often or more than a few hours from home.

Or

Horsepower play. The 3.5 is a DRUG

OR

Bucket-list truck. Once you order an F150 at a high enough trim level with all the features, Ford drops the 2.7 as an option. And even running empty, I'd rather have the turbos than the 5.0

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

First of all - a huge THANK YOU to all y'all. I am not used to asking newbie questions on a forum and not being met with snark and rudeness. You guys are absolutely amazing, taking time to answer my questions and really helping me in the decision making process. Believe it or not, that really helped to sell me on the Ecoboost. Having a dedicated and friendly community where you can ask for help is really helpful.:

After thinking about it and reading through all the awesome and positive replies this one hit home with me:

:
"Snakebitten" Towing greater than 7000 lbs often or more than a few hours from home.

Or

Horsepower play. The 3.5 is a DRUG

OR

Bucket-list truck. Once you order an F150 at a high enough trim level with all the features, Ford drops the 2.7 as an option. And even running empty, I'd rather have the turbos than the 5.0

This will be my first truck ever. I do not have to rely on it as a daily driver and all my life I have bought cars trying to be "reasonable".

Having the extra towing in the 3.5 is just nice, having the torque (I am a torque junky) is awesome, and it is sorta my bucket list truck. Probably going to drive it for a decade or more and - so, go big or go home. Fuel economy on the 3.5 is still better than a V8 and should we decide to break down and buy that 26+ footer one day it can easily tow it down to Miami. Not looking at some super trim level either, no leather that I can ruin with my saltwater soaked keester, just up to date electronics, tow package and RWD.

That brings me to another question: I read that folks switch their rear shocks to Bilsteins for a better ride when towing. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cant comment on the towing part but the bilsteins made a difference on my truck for daily driving. Less bounce and a tighter rebound. I did have a 1st gen 3.5 and the 2.7 definitely like to rev out a bit more. Have not tried a gen 2 3.5 yet

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Yes. Bilsteins are highly recommended. The rears are the most important but all 4 is even better.

Eibach sport shocks are another good option and are equivalent to the Bilsteins

·
Registered
932 Posts
Do you have kids ? If not, the Supercab 6.5' bed, 2wd, XLT 302a, max tow, would be awesome.

·
Registered
255 Posts
my 2 cents. be aware, everyone will have different opinions as everyone has different expectations.

I have a 2012 F150 3.5 Screw, my brother has a 2019 F150 2.7 Scab. Mine has Max tow, his has tow package (cannot get max tow on the 2.7).
I have driven both pulling the same boat (Mastercraft X45). Fully loaded, trailer and gear maybe around 5500-6k.
Both trucks will pull it without hassel and stop it fine. Most boat trailers use surge brakes - no electronics, safer for plunking in at the ramp, so they both stop the same really.
Either will be fine.

The 2.7 will get better MPG, unloaded. Loaded - not much difference as the 3.5 doesnt work as hard.
The 3.5 will out accelerate a 2.7 when loaded. we are both tuned, so thats an even bigger difference. the 3.5 just ignores the weight more easily.
you have to decide what you want. Since you will primarily be DDing an empty truck it sounds like, drive both and decide for yourself.

That said i prefer the steel body trucks for the extra weight. it just makes pulling nicer. My next one is going to be an F250 but i pull heavier stuff too (10-11k).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everybody. As of today I am the proud owner of a 2020 STX with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Did a 200 mile joyride between 120 miles of I 10 and 60miles of rush hour traffic in Pensacola and I have to admit - I am in love. Max tow package and trailer assist (I can't back a trailer up worth sh!t). Despite that this is a basic model it is equipped exactly how I wanted it - down to the 3.55 rear end. Love the column shifter since it frees up plenty of storage space on the console, but most of all, the torque and horsepower are intoxicating. Avg mpg showed 20.8 - probably not comprehensive but light years above my buddy's V8s.

What made me go 3.5 was a) this is the first vehicle (and truck) I ever bought I did not try to be super reasonable, b) I love torque, c) the price was right, d) it has a xxxxxxxx 36Gal tank!

Anyway, I am stoked and please bear with me and a bunch of (not so) smart follow up questions.

Oh - and the Glympse app is standard on the screen - that is beyond awesome! (hey, it is the little things in life)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Congrats ! Great truck ! Color ? Photo ? What is Glympse ?
Oh and everyone will want to see that yellow sticker and window sticker !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats ! Great truck ! Color ? Photo ? What is Glympse ?
Oh and everyone will want to see that yellow sticker and window sticker !
116154240_285213642818749_2889136516201719185_n.jpg Just dark grey.Would have preferred nardo grey (lead foot) but this is good. I wrap cars part time so dark was a must and black was too dark for FL.

This allows me to change colors when I get tired of it. I will scan the sticker in tomorrow. Glympse is a temporary real time location sharing app. Great when you want to meet some one, they can see where you are in real time for as long as you let them. I use it to meet clients and we use it on the water a lot since there aren't any road signs in bayous, lol. Keeps you from updating someone too when you are stuck in traffic etc. I use it a lot!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts