F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Having to replace your stat yet again would suck, but Motorcraft does make a 180 stat for these - RT1225, available from RockAuto for about $23. I'm running one (haven't even had my tune adjusted for it yet, so the fans still don't come on until higher temps) and it works as claimed. Opens at 180, full open at 188.

Burping these things isn't a time thing. It's a number of events thing. If you don't have a vacuum system, you'll need to monitor the level in the bottle for a few weeks. I'd bet money you didn't get every single pocket out.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I herd of that part number but someone said that it was not a 180° tstat but i will take your word for it and see what i come up with. There was a bumch of coolant that cameout with the tstat and with the history i had with the brand im not gonna take anychances a motor is to expensive to take a chance on a cheap part
Just bought one two weeks ago and installed it myself. It was stamped 180F, and the ECT/CHT temps I'm seeing on the cluster and via my Livewire back that up.

And yes, you'll lose a ton of coolant when you pull the stat - honestly, that's how I do coolant changes. Just make sure to dry the belts off before you crank the truck back up. And this is a perfect time to move to MC Yellow coolant if you're still running that orange junk.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Rockauto. And yes, it says 190 on their site, but it's a 180 stat. Even stamped that way.

As far as orange, there's a zillion threads on Google. Short story is that it has a tendency to create sludge and that sludge tends to go straight to the heater core... an expensive and time-consuming fix. Supposedly, yellow doesn't do that. You can mix yellow and orange but, when I did my stat, I dumped everything out I could, flushed with VC-1, flushed 3x with distilled water, then refilled the system with yellow concentrate and distilled water to get to the proper mixture (since it's effectively impossible to empty the entire system) which I confirmed with a refractometer. I'll be doing my wife's Explorer the same way in the near future.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
10-4 just double checked it will fit, and i looked into the coolant thing and i guess it wouldnt hurt to do just gotta find a brand that is p-oat coolant
I'm all for improving parts where possible. IMO, Motorcraft Yellow is the best way to fly. I got a case of 6 gallons of concentrate from Rockauto for $83 to do mine and the wife's ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts