F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are made in Italy. Been thinking about brakes, and thought I had enough till next spring, but upon further inspection, the pads are wearing thin. New brakes will go on with winter tire swap.
Anyway, been doin some research, and was close to ordering up the Powerstop Z36 package, since that's the go to set up for us that tow/haul.
But my drum beats different than most and I like to test stuff out, as well as wanting to keep stock appearance.
Hence I got these AC Delco Police package rotors (made by Raybestos). Some aspects of these rotors are Noise dampening Iron, high carbon content, specially designed cooling veins. They also have what they call, a Polymer surface coating over the whole surface (silver).
ACDelco p/n is 18A2461PV, Raybestos p/n is 680508P. Both are the same rotor in different box.

As for pads, I did not want the police pads, as apparently they only work well when up to temp. I need something that works when cold as well. So I decided to try the newly released Wagner OEX1414 pads, which are a hybrid material pad, including ceramic, kevlar, graphite and carbon. Wagner used the F150 as a development vehicle for these pads.

I will post up an initial review of these sometime after the snow flies (when I install them).

Don't forget to use our 5% discount code at Rockauto.com (found in the vendors area of the forum). For the Canadians, I found the cheapest way to get these rotors was through Amazon.ca, but ordered the pads from rockauto, which should show up by end of week.
DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting, let us know how they perform, you doing the back too?

·
Administrator
7,822 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price of the rotors?
I put both Raybestos and AcDelco p/n's up so you guys can figure out what's best option for your locale.
In my case, Amazon Canada was $102 CDN plus tax each rotor with free shipping. That's about $77 USD. Rock auto was too much $ to ship the rotors (they each weigh 29lbs), but as mentioned, I ordered the pads from Rockauto.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I put both Raybestos and AcDelco p/n's up so you guys can figure out what's best option for your locale.
In my case, Amazon Canada was $102 CDN plus tax each rotor with free shipping. That's about $77 USD. Rock auto was too much $ to ship the rotors (they each weigh 29lbs), but as mentioned, I ordered the pads from Rockauto.
I'm an old guy and I can remember back in the day that rotors were expensive and you would machine them smooth to save money. Who would ever machine rotors today at those prices?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't measure mine, but they have some nice grooves cut into them, so I figured I'd just replace them instead of cutting them and possibly have to replace them anyway.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Pads showed up from Rockauto. Nice wide grooves in the friction material. These won't be filling up anytime soon like the stockers do. DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0013 (2).JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0012 (2).JPG

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW!!! Them things are crazy!

Did you even get the steering wheel shake while braking noodles?
No steering wheel shake, and no pulsation. Every year when I put the winter wheels on, I remove the pads to clean out the centre groove, and do a 80 grit cross-hatch sanding job. Within a month of driving after that the rotors clean up, which means the OEM pads are harder material than the rotors themselves.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just put a set of the akebono street performance pads on after running a set of ebc yellows and they're an awesome pad

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Noodles, wasn't it you that gave me a link to buy Powerstop Z36s for a cheap price in Canada? It was actually a great deal btw.

I could avoid shipping entirely if I picked them up at one of their retail stores (down in the Lower Mainland) or ... pay an extra $100 and they would ship to my home (which I selected).

Total price with taxes and shipping was just over C$600 (US$450) for all four rotors and pads. I did debate about picking them up to save C$100 and visiting my father (who lived near the store) and kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Noodles, wasn't it you that gave me a link to buy Powerstop Z36s for a cheap price in Canada? It was actually a great deal btw.

I could avoid shipping entirely if I picked them up at one of their retail stores (down in the Lower Mainland) or ... pay an extra $100 and they would ship to my home (which I selected).

Total price with taxes and shipping was just over C$600 (US$450) for all four rotors and pads. I did debate about picking them up to save C$100 and visiting my father (who lived near the store) and kill two birds with one stone.
Yep, I knew you were looking to get new brakes, and the sale on the powerstops was too good for you to pass up, especially if you were to pick them up while visiting family. When I noticed that mine are not gonna last until spring, I started researching some more and wanted to see what was available in a stock appearing package, since I am keeping the OEM rears. On paper, my combo looks good, and cost the same as would getting the Z36 for the front. Like I mentioned, these will be going on the truck when I swap in the winter wheels.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, finally got these Police package rotors and Wagner OEX pads installed this weekend while doing the summer wheel swap.
The oem pads just lasted long enough to make the debut of the new ones after winter.

Really nice that they are ready for install out of the box (no oil on them due to being polymer coated).
Initial impressions after bedding in... they are very progressive, I would say not as much initial bite compared to the OEM's, but stepping on it more sure hauls down alright.
I have a feeling I'm gonna like these while towing.
Also installed the Moog thermoplastic front sway bar bushings a week ago while doing an oil change (nice and stiff, and super easy install). Next weekend I should be installing the belltech rear sway bar. DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_00071.JPG DSC_00081.JPG

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What made you go with the Police Package rotors over the powerstops?? Just curious
Read post #1, or should I google that for you? LOL.
Couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will follow up with some miles on them, including how they dust up. Hopefully, we won't have to share anything in regards to durability for another 4 years.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts