F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked up my trailer for the first time. It has electric brakes and a 7-pin connector. When I tried the brake control it said "No Trailer" connected. The electric brake control did nothing. Am I missing something. How does the truck know when a trailer is connected? Hooked the trailer up to my buddies old Chevy and the eclectric brake work fine. So, for some reason my truck is not detecting the presence of the trailer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob B

·
Registered
75 Posts
Look in the glove box or door pockets and see if you find any parts. Sometimes the dealer does not install those parts which are for the trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Make sure that you install the relay and fuse that you will find either in the glove box or drivers door pocket. For whatever reason Ford doesn't install them. Also, make sure that your trailer battery is charged (if equipt). Also, you may have to clean the 7 pin plug and connector. Try your trailer on someone elses truck to make sure its not a problem with your trailer. If it works on someone else's truck you may have a problem with the truck.

Let us know what you find out.

SPPD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I did try on another truck and all worked well. I will check for the relay and fuse.

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found the relay and fuse in the glove box. Now to figure out how to install it. How stupid is that - dealer should have installed it. Oh well. Hopefully that is the problem.

I'll let you guys know.

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
The bag of parts in the glove box should be the fuse that allows for a 12V power supply feed and charging a trailer mounted battery. As well as an extra trailer relay.

I would first check to see if the fuse and relays for the trailer are there, then that they are seated firmly in place. If still no connection try replacing the relay.

My gut, tells me it will be more along the line of a ground wire matter. Do the lights work and just not the brake controller? Or does nothing work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the lights work. Only the brake controller not working. If it's a ground wire then it's a ground wire in the truck. Everything works fine when I connect the trailer to my buddie's truck (not an Eco truck but a chevy).

I just don't know exactly where to install the fuse and the relay that are provided. Taking truck to dealer MOnday>

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
These are located in the fuse box under the hood. It's really simple to put them in yourself. Check your owners manual to be certain, but I believe they go in slots 9 and 21.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Magnum. I'll check those slots out!! I tried the relay in slot 9 earlier and saw no change!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My eco came with the trailer tow package but without the brake controller. I was told it was easy to install the controller & that the orangish / pinkish fuse goes in slot / position 21 & and the other relay ( black) goes in slot 9. They were also in a bag in the glove box. I would also have to get a dealer to reflash the truck's computer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My eco came with the trailer tow package but without the brake controller. I was told it was easy to install the controller & that the orangish / pinkish fuse goes in slot / position 21 & and the other relay ( black) goes in slot 9. They were also in a bag in the glove box. I would also have to get a dealer to reflash the truck's computer.
Thanks for these tips!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put relay in slot 9 and fuse in slot 21 --- no difference. I think those 2 slots are for charging the breakaway battery on the trailer. ?????

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know what year model you have but there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) out on the 2012 F150 for a problem that some have been having concerning the trailer being connected / disconnected. I stopped for for gas the other day on the way home & when i started the truck it said "trailer disconnected", which came as no surprise to me since i wasn't towing one. I will be taking mine in for this as soon as i install the trailer brake controller so they can reflash for that at the same time.

TSB: 2012 FORD F-150 TSB's (technical service bulletins)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Had that problem intermittently last time I hooked up the trailer. Found one of the spades in the adaptor pushed in. Swapped adaptors and end of problem!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just registered on this site to help you. I had the same issue on my brand new FX4 and toy hauler. I was about to give up when someone told me to go to Radio Shack and buy a package of DeoxIT. It comes in a small two pack. What I did was clean the 7-pin connectors on both the new truck and new toy hauler with a brass brush. I then put the DeoxIT on both as well and all of a sudden the truck recognized the trailer and the trailer brake started working. Problem solved. Give it a shot, you got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took truck to dealer today. Service manager knew less than I did. Can't believe I'm the first person at this dealership to have this problem. Have appointment Wednesday to take truck in to service department. I have a 2013 F150 FX4 !!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took truck to dealer today. Service manager knew less than I did. Can't believe I'm the first person at this dealership to have this problem. Have appointment Wednesday to take truck in to service department. I have a 2013 F150 FX4 !!!
Same truck as me. I took my truck in and they couldn't find anything wrong. They said to bring it back with my camper/trailer. Just about the time I was going to do that, I tried the method I mentioned to you in my previous post. Luckily I canceled the dealer visit and went camping instead. :) Clean your connections and apply the DeoxIT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bolts....I will do that. I expect the same response from my dealer, but we shall see. They should have a connection to simulate a trailer and test it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Bolts....I will do that. I expect the same response from my dealer, but we shall see. They should have a connection to simulate a trailer and test it.
Yes, they should have a simulator there. No way did I want to leave me Truck and toy hauler with the dealer, so I was so glad I fixed it. Apparently the Ford OEM controller likes a very constant and specific voltage or amperage to recognize. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
bobbeidel
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing