F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 16 2.7 that I loved. I now have an 18 2.7, I ordered a SCT7015 X4 from stage 3 with 3 tunes from 5 star. Basically everything 5star advertised about their tune is wrong. I ran the Canned tunes for 5 days and liked them. Simple easy questions to set it up. I downloaded my three tunes. 87tow/performance 87 performance and 93 performance.
I haven’t ran the 93 yet.
The 87 performance does not eliminate the skip shifting
The 87 tow/perf resets my entire truck to kilometers.
When loading the 5 star tunes they re ask all the questions vs only once, even though I had to answer them all for the “tune sheet”. I’ve played around with only filling in one of the two or both of the two in all combinations. Ie: axle ratio twice and tire size one time then revs per mile the next. I’ve restored to stick multiple times. The special economy tunes are worse than the canned tune. Just pretty annoyed. Anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling I’ll be sending them all back to het adjusted. I can’t even tell a performance difference besides the throttle feeling more responsive.

2018 2.7 sport 3.55 gears, 275/65/r20

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
5stars tunes were never my strongest. They were pretty torquey down low but up top they kinda crapped out.

I am also at high elevation though so I run out of turbo near stock power levels which is why my 5star tunes die up top but , even then, my other tunes pull a little harder. Honestly not sure if its a timing thing or they are cutting back on air flow to protect the turbos a little earlier.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hmm, my 5 stars are by far my favorites. Email them and see what they say about updating it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I never did like my 5* tunes. The truck was never happy no matter how many revisions. They were good on my Gen1 Raptor but never on my Ecoboosts.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,100 Posts
I actually enjoyed my Gen2 5* tunes if I was "in the mood". I'm sure that the current tunes would likely be a little more polished, if that's the direction I took my request of revisions in. (mine were better than 3 years old) But I didn't because I considered the performance tunes as the more angry and snarly. Pretty aggressive tip-in.

But I'm old and they could grow a bit tiring if I was just commuting. I had more refined tunes for daily driving.

That's just the thing about tunes, you can have multiple weapons at your fingertips. Collect them, if you know what I mean.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yeah I’d reach out to them. My 19 with the performance tune rips. Driveability is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
They'll take some revisions to get dialed. I wasn't a fan (mainly the shifting) until I got a bunch of revisions. Still on the fence whether the 91p tune with several revisions is any better than MPT or Gearhead out of the box. I would've never strayed from Gearhead but wanted some more down low and some more midrange. I'll say that MPT's midrange feels as strong as 5star with 2-3lbs less boost. Gearhead is the champ up top.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
You definitely have to get some revisions, i’ve never ran a company where I didn’t need several revisions, and I've ran multiple different companies throughout the past 8+ years.

I’ve tried all the companies mentioned above and/or have spent extensive time behind the wheel of a couple different friend's trucks who are running one or the other.

MPT, Great company and great guys, Unfortunately I’ve always had some weird quirks even after 20ish revisions, but I would still recommend them because for one I know people that are really happy with them and have no issues and for another their customer service is outstanding.

Gearhead, Great all around tune, I’ve heard it referred to as Stock plus one and that’s how it felt to me as well, noticeable you’re running a tune, slight bump overstock. I always said it would be the perfect tune for my wife. Holds gears and lugs a little more then I like though.

5 Star, took some revisions to get perfect but I think about the sixth or so revision mine were all completely dialed in and my absolute favorite all around, not the best for gas mileage but not horrible either. The guy's over there have always treated me like family as well, great company.

The point is everyone is different and everyone likes what they like, but you really have to just plan on doing the revision thing, I have friends that I tell don’t even bother tuning your truck because I know you’re not gonna want to do data logging and revisions, if someone is not into doing that they are better off skipping tuning their truck altogether in my opinion.

Not all trucks are the same either, some take to different tunes better then others right out of the box and visa versa.

The economy tunes you are only going to see your benefit in stop and go traffic, I think most people realize not to expect power from an economy tune, that’s the whole purpose, better economy.

skip shift, as long as they set it up to not skip it shouldn’t give the majority of the time but the transmission will still skip occasional gears, you don’t want your truck going through every single gear all the time in stop and go traffic anyways. That’s a ridiculous amount of shifting

Reactions: Dash

·
Registered
51 Posts
Talk to them about it first, they can sort out any issues your having and help with expectations. My 5 star E30 tune is spot on for the road and does work at the track as well thanks to their help. Took 3 or 4 revisions to get it there. It takes them a while to get the revisions done and back to you due to work load but its been worth it. I will be running their OAR tune in the winter when the tracks close down and will go through the same back and forth with them until its dialed in as well!

Matt

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
You cant expect a custom tune to be spot on and the strongest right out of the box. Its going to take 3-5 revisions and data log to feel the gains..... after the 1st data log and revision it will be much different than the basic tune they send you,

I have ran 5*, GH, BCB, Unleashed, MPT and now settled on calibrated power ...... you need to either settle and work with one that checks all the boxes for you or shop until you find one and do yourself a favor and data log and send those into 5* for revisions. It will take a few, but don't expect the Lamborghini right out of the box..

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
972 Posts
I had a 16 2.7 that I loved. I now have an 18 2.7, I ordered a SCT7015 X4 from stage 3 with 3 tunes from 5 star. Basically everything 5star advertised about their tune is wrong. I ran the Canned tunes for 5 days and liked them. Simple easy questions to set it up. I downloaded my three tunes. 87tow/performance 87 performance and 93 performance.
I haven’t ran the 93 yet.
The 87 performance does not eliminate the skip shifting
The 87 tow/perf resets my entire truck to kilometers.
When loading the 5 star tunes they re ask all the questions vs only once, even though I had to answer them all for the “tune sheet”. I’ve played around with only filling in one of the two or both of the two in all combinations. Ie: axle ratio twice and tire size one time then revs per mile the next. I’ve restored to stick multiple times. The special economy tunes are worse than the canned tune. Just pretty annoyed. Anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling I’ll be sending them all back to het adjusted. I can’t even tell a performance difference besides the throttle feeling more responsive.

2018 2.7 sport 3.55 gears, 275/65/r20
Send an email to Boostkingtuning and get a custom tune from him. I, like you had, have a 2016 2.7 and it is a wicked machine with his custom tunes, honestly if you wanna make power go custom.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Send an email to Boostkingtuning and get a custom tune from him. I, like you had, have a 2016 2.7 and it is a wicked machine with his custom tunes, honestly if you wanna make power go custom.
5 star is custom....

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Ok, well it sounded like he was using canned, but yeah
yeah he was comparing them to the canned tunes.

anyways he probably won’t come back here but I noticed he updated his post on Facebook saying something like he jumped the gun in regards to his thoughts

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
To be fair, each tuner has their own “canned” tune that they send out. Having revisions done therefore makes it a custom tune.
It still amazes me how many people don’t realize this.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,100 Posts
Folks don't know what they don't know.

I've fed my family and paid off mortgages because there's people that don't know what a right-click is, if you know what I mean. :)

We're all here for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scott91370

·
Registered
91 Posts
Idk man, my revised tunes rip. I'm happy enough with my 91 Performance Tow tune that I haven't even loaded up the hot boy tune. The revised tow tune blows the first hot tune out of the water

·
Registered
972 Posts
It still amazes me how many people don’t realize this.

I don’t know who you’re speaking of here but, I thought the op was saying he didn’t like his canned tunes because they didn’t feel like much of an increase over stock so I said he should try custom tuning. I missed that part. I’m not stupid, I know how tuning and data logging goes, so yes, I do realize how it works.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don’t know who you’re speaking of here but, I thought the op was saying he didn’t like his canned tunes because they didn’t feel like much of an increase over stock so I said he should try custom tuning. I missed that part. I’m not stupid, I know how tuning and data logging goes, so yes, I do realize how it works.
He's not talking about you.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts