F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
Just a possibility....logically speaking

5* deserved their earned reputation for great product and service. It resulted in considerable notoriety. But an often 2nd stage of business success is that the success itself becomes a problem. The satisfaction rate drops as a result. It's not a new story.

The recent posts are the exact symptoms of that kind of problem. 5* WILL respond one way or another to the challenge. They have no choice.

I'm guessing it's partly a talent shortage in the market. There's only so many level 1 gurus.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I get that but all I need is response from the lowest level guy saying hey we hit a snag. Don’t tell me something multiple times and fail to deliver on top of failing to deliver the original purchase… that is my biggest issue.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
I get that but all I need is response from the lowest level guy saying hey we hit a snag. Don’t tell me something multiple times and fail to deliver on top of failing to deliver the original purchase… that is my biggest issue.
But that IS a classic example of a company that succeeds at an unsustainable rate.
It's SO HARD for a company that worked hard to build a business to put the brakes on in order to protect the brand they built. It goes against their instinct.

Basically you have to say "out of stock" at some point and stop pretending you have an unlimited supply chain. Nobody does.

Or put another way, there's not enough time in the day for them to STOP and take care of you like you are the most important customer they have.
That's what they used to be able to do, and that's why they have the ambassador customers here that they have.

I guarantee you that there's no one more disappointed than a repeat ambassador customer that finds out that they are experiencing what you are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
But that IS a classic example of a company that succeeds at an unsustainable rate.
It's SO HARD for a company that worked hard to build a business to put the brakes on in order to protect the brand they built. It goes against their instinct.

Basically you have to say "out of stock" at some point and stop pretending you have an unlimited supply chain. Nobody does.

Or put another way, there's not enough time in the day for them to STOP and take care of you like you are the most important customer they have.
That's what they used to be able to do, and that's why they have the ambassador customers here that they have.

I guarantee you that there's no one more disappointed than a repeat ambassador customer that finds out that they are experiencing what you are.

I understand and am an understanding person. Just let me know, that is all. Don't promise something and not deliver multiple times. It's just a waiting game now. I mean I don't even have the correct original tunes.. I also never got an answer as to why the custom tunes ask me tire size and gear ratio twice along with the tuning form I filled out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I understand and am an understanding person. Just let me know, that is all. Don't promise something and not deliver multiple times. It's just a waiting game now. I mean I don't even have the correct original tunes.. I also never got an answer as to why the custom tunes ask me tire size and gear ratio twice along with the tuning form I filled out.
Because they're rushing through everything and not paying attention. Hence the issues I'm having.

A wise man once told me "you ALWAYS Have time to do it the second time". In this instance its the 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
It could be just maybe that Josh & Chris are soooooo busy making these trucks go fast?!!!
Taking Andre from FLT down the drag strip there in SC.
Their vid stars now-lol
I've been with them since 2015, and have had 0 issues getting any response from them. But I am a very impatient person.... and will go to great lengths in correspondng with them-lol
They'd be like; ohh crap its meaz from AZ calling again....you get it no you get it he's been emailing/texting/calling everybody's cell phone/using pigeon carriers/Morse code etc-every 5mins!
Josh is the Boost Guru....ask for him.
Results from a drag strip video the boys did a few years back.
The 3.5 had a Banks CAI and tune only; the other 2 had tune only.
Not too shabby!
Font Circle Darkness Number Brand

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I got a call this morning from Brady there, he went over my file and addressed all of my concerns. A couple hours later I had a revision e-mail. My shifting is 90% better, still have the 1-3 skip under normal driving but not any of the others. I also did a KAM reset for this.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I got a call this morning from Brady there, he went over my file and addressed all of my concerns. A couple hours later I had a revision e-mail. My shifting is 90% better, still have the 1-3 skip under normal driving but not any of the others. I also did a KAM reset for this.
Great to hear.
I would give it 80- 100 miles or so for the adaptive learning to settle in, then get a datalog and send it in for another revision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That’s kind of what I’m thinking. At this point how it is I can accept it over stock. I’ve yet to be able to run the 93perf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Maybe I’ll get a comparable tune and run them side by side. I basically want a good running smooth daily tune that in eco mode gets good MPG (I drive a lot for work), but I can still switch to sport and run it lol. 87 performance is where I’m at now. Im debating on seeing how the 93 performance does for daily. As of now I just planned on running it up at silver lake sand dunes. Oh and NO SKIP SHIFTING . Pricing pretty fair?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You already figured it out BUT you have to be patient with them, they WILL eventually get to you lol. Ive waited 3 weeks for revisions but every time I do she picks up a tenth and drives better. I figured out if I email them my data, then call then and leave a message I will get a call back usually that same day at least letting me know they got my email and its going to the tuner and then Ill wait a couple weeks for a revision which will show up and start the process again. I did this numerous times until Josh called me personally and said everything looked like it was as solid as it could be and then offered some advice one what he would do next. Very cool guy.

My truck also does the 1-3 skip on their tune but you dont notice it if your not watching the gear indicator on the dash plus when it does shift 1-2-3 it feels awkward and lurchy. Im with you tho, Ide say the shifting is 95% spot on and its a million times better than stock or other tunes Ive tried so I wont complain too loud. For me I dont like how it lurches into higher gears when you are in light throttle from time to time and it bangs the downshift into 3rd which annoys me. Minor complaints compared to how good it is otherwise!

Matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Figure ill chime in and update the continued saga. I took @Sirikenewtron advice (thank you, by the way) and contacted chris over there, explained the whole situation. The next day or two i did not recieve a reply from him but did get a reply from tech support. The following day i recieved the first revision that actually worked, but thats where the good ends.
I sent a log, waited a number of days, and recieved revision 2 which sent the part-throttle trims completely in the wrong direction (on the base tune, trims were in the +10 to +15 range. Rev 2 they were in the +20s). Sent log. Week and a half later I recieved revision 3 and the trims are down in the single digits, but i still have the misfire during catalyst warm-up strategy (which shuts off and runs normal the second i barely touch the throttle). I asked for this to be disabled for this reason and they havent done it yet. The car has longtubes, it isnt necessary anyway.

Its been 17 days since i sent my last log. To anyone thinking of using these guys, beware. I'll update in the future.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Unfortunately sometimes a company and customer just aren't a good match for whatever reason, Not defending them but as with any company such as 5 star they have thousands and thousands and thousands of happy customers they're going to have some that are not.

personally if I were in your shoes I would reach out to Chris again, call him and talk to him on the phone, leave a message if he doesn’t answer. Tell him your concerns and your experience so far with everything as far as not being happy.

Also I’m not sure who’s doing your tunes, should say in the bottom someone’s initials, but if not already doing them for you at this point I would ask for Josh.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll have to do that, ill give him a call soon. The car does get put away for the winter and as silly as this sounds, i have little faith that this will be straightened out before then (I hope i'm wrong)

Since i have been recieving the correct tunes for the car, the calibrator has been PG.

Prior to this, there was a different calibrator on every one of the incompatible files i had been sent (i think 5 total). Which was one of my issues with the way they handle the customer load, and likely why the issue persisted for so long, i was getting bounced around the office and nobody was actually looking at the root calibration to find the issue.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'll have to do that, ill give him a call soon. The car does get put away for the winter and as silly as this sounds, i have little faith that this will be straightened out before then (I hope i'm wrong)

Since i have been recieving the correct tunes for the car, the calibrator has been PG.

Prior to this, there was a different calibrator on every one of the incompatible files i had been sent (i think 5 total). Which was one of my issues with the way they handle the customer load, and likely why the issue persisted for so long, i was getting bounced around the office and nobody was actually looking at the root calibration to find the issue.
yeah I would ask to work specifically with Joshua then. you say car? What kind of vehicle is this?

In the meantime what I would probably do is buy a single tune from a different company And see if you experience similar situation or if the problem is totally resolved. I’m a big believer in trying at least a couple different companies, that’s what I’ve always done throughout the past 8+ years and several trucks, in my case 5 star has by far been my favorite.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah I would ask to work specifically with Joshua then. you say car? What kind of vehicle is this?

In the meantime what I would probably do is buy a single tune from a different company And see if you experience similar situation or if the problem is totally resolved. I’m a big believer in trying at least a couple different companies, that’s what I’ve always done throughout the past 8+ years and several trucks, in my case 5 star has by far been my favorite.

Its a 2011 mustang GT. My neighbor had his 5.0 f150 tuned on e85 by 5 star, and I'd always read good things about them here, so i figured I'd give them a try.

I actually purchased a tune from Lund a while back when this headache started, then quickly realized they dont support SCT. I'm not made of money, so i can't just jump around and try tuners for fun. This car is a simple full bolt-on car, it shouldn't have turned into a nightmare.

·
Registered
708 Posts

PG is Price, I believe he does a lot of the Mustang tuning. I've been running 5* tunes on my 17 3.5 for a long while now and they've been good out of the box, I've never even had a revision done on any of them. I also have a 91 5* tune for my 2020 HPP Mustang 2.3 with FBO's on a bigger NX2 Precision Turbo. PG was the calibrator for that tune and did a good job with it. I am now in the process of a 91 and e30 tune from PD tuning out of Maryland for the Mustang. Good luck with getting everything straightened out!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Have you tried going back to the preloaded tunes? I wouldn’t hesitate to run those.

Edit: I forgot what upgrades you have.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you tried going back to the preloaded tunes? I wouldn’t hesitate to run those.

Edit: I forgot what upgrades you have.
No, only stock tune and this 5 star tune.

Car has longtubes, full exhaust, and cold air intake. My issues are misfiring and occasional backfiring from the intake ONLY during catalyst warmup strategy (which turns off the second you touch the throttle, then returns after 5 seconds) and positive fuel trims. Otherwise car runs great.

I belive my issues lie in my Holley Intech cold air intake. It's the only closed-box upgrade intake available for the gen 1 5.0 so it was my only choice. Its supposed to be a non-tune-required intake but my fuel trims and this cold start concern seem to say otherwise. On the stock tune it runs like garbage during catalyst warmup as well.

Issue was not present on stock tune with k&n intake and muffler deletes that the car came with, only since adding mods and tune.

So this suggests my intake does still require a small bit of MAF scaling, a pretty simple task.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts