F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
No, only stock tune and this 5 star tune.

Car has longtubes, full exhaust, and cold air intake. My issues are misfiring and occasional backfiring from the intake ONLY during catalyst warmup strategy (which turns off the second you touch the throttle, then returns after 5 seconds) and positive fuel trims. Otherwise car runs great.

I belive my issues lie in my Holley Intech cold air intake. It's the only closed-box upgrade intake available for the gen 1 5.0 so it was my only choice. Its supposed to be a non-tune-required intake but my fuel trims and this cold start concern seem to say otherwise. On the stock tune it runs like garbage during catalyst warmup as well.

Issue was not present on stock tune with k&n intake and muffler deletes that the car came with, only since adding mods and tune.

So this suggests my intake does still require a small bit of MAF scaling, a pretty simple task.
Do you still have the stock intake? It wouldn’t hurt at all to throw that on and see if the problems still persist.

I would also ensure you have the latest calibration strategy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you still have the stock intake? It wouldn’t hurt at all to throw that on and see if the problems still persist.

I would also ensure you have the latest calibration strategy.
Thankfully I do have the stock intake. If they have difficulty with anything tune related then i will. Of course if they do, i highly doubt they'll relay that information to me considering the lack of communication. At this point it seems the trims are getting to where they need to be, and as long as they disable warmup strategy the car will be 100% perfect. It's just a matter of a few simple changes that are taking an excessive amount of time to change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Figured I'd update, the saga finally is over. Recieved final revision at the end of September then 10-ish days for them to get back and confirm the log looked good.

I had 2 other correspondence in the meantime with their tech department (who fields the emails and files to each calibrator). They said they're recieving 500 emails and 400 calls per day, and have 13 employees.

They did a good job on the tune and fixed my concerns but due to their workload the timing is unacceptable. So hopefully people see this before purchasing a tune if they are needing a tuning process to take less than 3 months (how long mine took).

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
That’s unfortunate on the wait time, sucks. I can say that’s a pretty rare case three months, although I have seen some people wait at least a month from them and a couple other companies (from post I've seen on few different tuning company pages I belong to)

That’s the problem with getting so big and popular, I've heard they tune over 10,000 vehicles a year. Crazy.

Good to hear you got your tune dialed in though, finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Maybe they should stop advertising with TFLTruck. I just saw a video with one of their ads like 2 days ago.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,805 Posts
For real. At this point seems like word of mouth is all they need.

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I know that 5 * is pretty big now (volume) but there are other companies that are almost or equal and still have a quicker turn around. Not an excuse I as a customer would accept. I understand a 48-72 hr thing, but not longer than that

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
There’s no other company out there that comes close to their volume, in fact I’d be willing to bet most of the other companies combined don’t even come close. After all they tune A ridiculous amount of motorhomes, side-by-side‘s, diesels, Chevys, Fords…
Again though not that that’s any excuse for three months, that’s just nuts. I have never heard anybody having to wait that long.

And yeah I agree definitely no need for tfl advertising. I can understand though that’s a hard thing to pass up I'm sure when they were approached by them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
I hope they come up with a business strategy to address the issue. They obviously have good people who's talent/skill built a great reputation, and so they (those assets) shouldn't now be subjected to the potential of public disparaging.

People don't quit companies. They quit management.

If that call volume is accurate, they'll burn that small staff out. Some percentage of that volume is probably not polite customers either.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There’s no other company out there that comes close to their volume, in fact I’d be willing to bet most of the other companies combined don’t even come close. After all they tune A ridiculous amount of motorhomes, side-by-side‘s, diesels, Chevys, Fords…
Again though not that that’s any excuse for three months, that’s just nuts. I have never heard anybody having to wait that long.

And yeah I agree definitely no need for tfl advertising. I can understand though that’s a hard thing to pass up I'm sure when they were approached by them.

With cars tuners (mustangs, Dodge) the Diesel World, not to mention imports like COBB and a few others, absolutely not accurate, volume and an acceptable turn around te is possible

PPEI and Dmaxtuner do that volume or more in their world and tune other applications to include things 5* do. its a fact

Since I have been on this forum and involved in the ecoboost tuning, they (5*)have had the common theme of a few out of place and long waits for tunes and communication.

I came from the diesel world, worked in the industry and know for sure some of the tuner volumes When alligator performance (idaho rob) was in his EFI live prime, they tuned 100's a week and had 24-48 hr turn around with a group of 5....

It can be done with their size.....

The customer should not suffer if a business cant handle their volume and take too much on their plate.... that becomes greedy in most eyes..... gotta find the balance because they are one of the best in their specialty. I had their tune, and I have emails and calls that took too long for me as a customer for data logging and such, so I quietly moved on

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The customer should not suffer if a business cant handle their volume and take too much on their plate.... that becomes greedy in most eyes..... gotta find the balance because they are one of the best in their specialty. I had their tune, and I have emails and calls that took too long for me as a customer for data logging and such, so I quietly moved on
I guess my reply may have been a little confusing, I’m just referring to the (ecoboost) well-known tuners as far as volume, not the diesel world.

but I fully agree with what you said up above and three months is definitely unacceptable.

I’ve seen those occasional post as well,(I’ve pretty much seen them on every tuning company‘s Facebook group page) I guess myself and the couple dozen people that I personally know that run 5 star tunes have just been lucky As far as that goes.

In the end not one company fits everyone, that’s why I always say try multiple companies, that’s what I’ve done some recommended by people on here or other places and so far haven’t been really impressed with any except for 5 Star. Just my personal experience in the past 8+ years and several (ecoboost) trucks.

Not sure why some people experience this when others don’t, that seems like something that needs to be addressed and figure it out for sure.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I guess my reply may have been a little confusing, I’m just referring to the (ecoboost) well-known tuners as far as volume, not the diesel world.

but I fully agree with what you said up above and three months is definitely unacceptable.

I’ve seen those occasional post as well,(I’ve pretty much seen them on every tuning company‘s Facebook group page) I guess myself and the couple dozen people that I personally know that run 5 star tunes have just been lucky As far as that goes.

In the end not one company fits everyone, that’s why I always say try multiple companies, that’s what I’ve done some recommended by people on here or other places and so far haven’t been really impressed with any except for 5 Star. Just my personal experience in the past 8+ years and several (ecoboost) trucks.

Not sure why some people experience this when others don’t, that seems like something that needs to be addressed and figure it out for sure.
[/QUI agree with you OTE]

All good bro, I get it ......... we all want good customer service and we all have our own opinions

I have been wanting to give 5* another go at the E30 tune, just the communication and time between made it frustrating for me

Reactions: TurboGT
61 - 72 of 72 Posts