F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the F150 and the ecoboost engine. I've been looking at sites such as carsdotcom or the local car dealers sites to search. Anyway, the confusing thing for me is how they list the engine type. If I search for a "V6" the 2011's do NOT seem to use the term Ecoboost, but the 2012+ all say "ECOBOOST" in the engine description field.

Hit number 1 is a 2011 Ford F150 Lariat with : Engine: 3.5L V6 24V GDI DOHC Twin Turbo
Hit nubmer 2 is a 2013 Ford F150 XLT with : Engine: 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

WHat gives? These seem to be teh same engine 3.5L, but one says ecoboost and the other not? I see this more frequently and just want to make sure I am getting the ecoboost if it is a 2011 or newer.

Thanks.....:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other concern. On the new 2013s I see a "ecoboost" emblem on the side fenders. None of the 2011s have this that I can tell.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Joe- Welcome to the site. To answer your question or address your concerns is they are the same motor. Ford has four (4) motors in the 2011 and up F-150: 3.5L V6 (which is the EcoBoost and the freight train), 3.7L V6, 5.0L V8, and 6.2L V8. As long as it has "3.5L" you’re looking at the amazing EcoBoost. All the other stuff is just a description of what is on or how the motors is set up GDI (Gas Direct Injection) DOHC (Double Over Head Cams) 24V (24 Valves) and so on. EcoBoost is just a simpler way to ID the Motor over the other three. Or within this form its well known as the EcoBeast (Member SPPD's Kiddos nickname that has caught on and describes the nature of the Motors abilities) .

As for the EcoBoost door badge I am not sure why a 2011 wouldn't have it. Another way to tell is the front bumper lic plate holder will be on the driver side leaving room for area flow into the IC.

Hope this helped sum it up. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have noticed on the 2011s some of the premium optioned trucks have the EcoBeast emblem on the rear tailgate. Also, 3.5 and EcoBoost are like tomato and tomatoe on the F-150. Same same.
You will not be disappointed with this motor! It is a great combination of economy and raw power.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2011 and it has a door badge. I ordered another one from a body shop and put one on my tailgate.

Sometimes people remove the door badges for the "clean" look. Or maybe the pictures are a stock photo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would just offer that by 2013 Ford seems to have ironed some performance kinks out of the 3.5L engine. I love mine. Just waiting for the mileage to improve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
DansKing
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing