F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems many folks run a higher octane than their tune is designed for just for extra insurance which I completely agree with but what if you have a 93 tune and want that extra insurance. Do octane boosters really raise the fuels octane or are they snake oil? I was considering some Amsoil octane booster as they have a pretty decent reputation in the oil world. What do y'all think about the octane booster concept in general? Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about adding some leaded 112 fuel? I have no front cats but wouldn't this foul my rear cat?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would say no.
I tried them and had bad experiences with octane booster.

If you want to go that route get you some UNLEADED race gas.

OR start experimenting with low doses of e85

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have done the leaded 110, 112, and 116. It did absolutely nothing for speed or et with a tune specifically set up for race gas. Take that how you want. Just throw a few gal of e85 in the tank.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I usually do 21 gallons of 93e10 then I'll add like 5 gallons of e85 to bring me up to around 96 octane and around a e22 on ethanol content.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
How about adding some leaded 112 fuel? I have no front cats but wouldn't this foul my rear cat?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost
Leaded race fuel will foul your O2 sensors. Some sensors hold up better than others but they will all get fouled at some point by leaded fuel. For your original question about octane boosters you should know that most if not all of the commercially available products count tenths of a point as points. If a product claims it'll raise your octane 5 points they mean .5 points AND they all over-claim what their product can actually do. If you want to boost your octane then look into Xylene. Xylene is a major component of gasoline so its not a foreign substance as it is already in your tank. Xylene has an octane rating of 116. Xylene is dry so you'll need to add something to lube the mixture. What I have done in the past is mix 1 gallon of Xylene with 3 gallons of 93 pumpgas and a quick spray of WD40 to produce 4 gallons of 99 octane sensor and cat friendly fuel. This mixture has worked for me on more occasions than I can count or remember. Xylene is available as paint thinner at Sherwin Williams paint stores by the 5 gallon bucket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As stated by Wendy this is you best bet, Several members of the cobra club I used to belong to did this, We also a guy that worked for a testing lab and what she is saying is true, Most boosters are no good.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
and one more thing about using Xylene

Xylene is commonly used as fuel injector cleaner so thats another good thing you'll have on your side with this stuff. I don't know how often if ever direct injection injectors require or recommends cleaning or even if they are cleaned in the same manor as traditional injectors but if they are then Xylene has that as an added +.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome info, thanks!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Read through this thread. I like the Xylene idea proposed by Nasty, except here in California it is banned.

Would any of the store bought octane boosters be the next best thing or are they just a waste of money? All I can get in my area is 91 with 10% ethanol. I would really like to also add a saftey margin when running my 91 perf tunes, but looks like I dont have many options as far as increasing my octane above 91.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Read through this thread. I like the Xylene idea proposed by Nasty, except here in California it is banned.

Would any of the store bought octane boosters be the next best thing or are they just a waste of money? All I can get in my area is 91 with 10% ethanol. I would really like to also add a saftey margin when running my 91 perf tunes, but looks like I dont have many options as far as increasing my octane above 91.
Are you sure? Check out any Paint Supply Store. Xylene is a paint thinner.

And if so, use Toluene instead. It's a natural petroleum product.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Store bought octane boosters are garbage. Raise octane 3 points means making 91 a 91.3. Toluene among others work great. Ran it in my lightning for a year

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Haha, toluene also banned as far as I can tell, or at least not for sale in the big box home improvement retailers here which sell a "substitute" for both. I will have to check some of the paint stores to see if it's available.

I do have access to 110 octane "low lead" av-gas at the municipal airport down the street from me. I've seen on some other forums guys using it (not in ecoboost motors however) and saying the lead content in av-gas is minimal and would not affect the cats or 02 sensors. Not sure I would want to risk it though.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Haha, toluene also banned as far as I can tell, or at least not for sale in the big box home improvement retailers here which sell a "substitute" for both. I will have to check some of the paint stores to see if it's available.

I do have access to 110 octane "low lead" av-gas at the municipal airport down the street from me. I've seen on some other forums guys using it (not in ecoboost motors however) and saying the lead content in av-gas is minimal and would not affect the cats or 02 sensors. Not sure I would want to risk it though.
How close are you to a border state?
That may be your next safest route if you don't want to add in a bit of E85...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I may have to go back to this myself. I was getting 111 to mix with 91 but apparently it's leaded and threw p0420 and 430 codes. Only ran two tanks mixed like that and returned to stock tune until I can figure something else out that's easily repeatable. May just ask for my 91 tune instead of datalogging this 93 tune

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
How close are you to a border state?
That may be your next safest route if you don't want to add in a bit of E85...
Well in my search for E85 I found a station about 15 miles from my house that pumps race gas!! They got 94, 96, and 100 octane, only caveat is according to California law I have to pump into a gas can as the gas is "not for road use". Wonder how many people there actually follow that law, I'm guessing very few.

I am a couple hundred miles from nearest free state.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Well in my search for E85 I found a station about 15 miles from my house that pumps race gas!! They got 94, 96, and 100 octane, only caveat is according to California law I have to pump into a gas can as the gas is "not for road use". Wonder how many people there actually follow that law, I'm guessing very few.

I am a couple hundred miles from nearest free state.
Buy a Tidy Tank and install it in your bed. You'll fit right in with all our Contractors.

Reactions: norcal_ecoscrew
1 - 20 of 20 Posts