F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm right there with you. Sea Level in Southern California and will leave Trip B to monitor the miles between each oil change. 16+ average for me too running 87 Octane. I've seen 20+ on a 500 mile road trip when the truck was new and I was babying it, but when driving it like you want to on long trips I'll usually drag it down into the 18-19 range. I have no plans to try Premium fuel.

High octane for tunes and towing. My truck is a car to me. Don't race it may never even tow with it. 87 will be good for me. I feel these trucks should get 20 MPG all day on long trips if not to many hills. I got average 22 MPG hiway 5 and crappy hiway 97 in Oregon 1100 mi trip.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, so I did a trip to Duluth, MN and put 92 oxy in for the long trip. I used 29.3 gallons before I went to add gas, put 584 miles on and averaged 19.9 mpg. Now I had to fill up before I got home and had an hour drive, I put in 87 oxy and on the way back I got almost the same mileage at 19.7. I found this to be very interesting. I now need to do a long trip with the 91 non-oxy I have at my disposal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have tried putting Premium (91 & 94) in a bone stock truck (including stock PCM tuning) and it did not produce any noticeable increases in fuel economy.

However, when I tuned my PCM for higher performance octane from a number of tuners, not only did I get the performance increase, but I often got a small increase in fuel economy (1 or 2 mpgs) on a standard route I take to visit family.

I do have a couple of "economy tunes" but ... I was spoiled by the performance tunes, and quickly ignored them. Maybe others who have specifically ran economy based tunes will have more to say.
I've tried several octanes. I found I get better performance when I tow in the mountains if I increase octane.
Any differences in MPG around here are offset by mountains or stop and go traffic.
Lately Interstate travel has been slower, due to State Troopers all over the place writing tickets.
If you have to come thru Alabama remember those guys are around in all sorts of vehicles, and some are pretty sneaky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
13 Eco SCREW stock.

I've been running on 87 corn. Tried a couple of fills with 91 non-corn... No noticeable difference in power or mpgs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, so after multiple tanks with different octanes, my synopsis is that the only octane that provided better gas mileage alone was the 91 non oxy gas. Any gas with Ethynol in it, no matter the octane was worse. On average it was 1-2 mpg better at an average of 30 cents more a gallon.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I've gotten terrible mileage with 87 here once the temps dipped,(Tx is in for a f*cked winter)
I bet it didn't get down to 0*F / -18*C down there.

FYI, with the SAME fuel in my tank, when it got that cold, my fuel economy got even worse... based on my "normal work loop" (I reset my TRIP B every morning) ... my fuel economy dropped nearly 20%. Drove the same early in the morning with virtually no traffic.

There is definitely a fuel hit when the entire engine, transmission and powertrain are frozen cold and barely get warmed up before you get to work. When the weather was warmer a few weeks ago ... my engine and powertrain did get up to proper operating temps.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Also remember the power rating is based on 87. If you run 93, it will make more power as the built in sensors will adapt, like add more timing.
You are right about the timing and such with higher octane. But I am going to disagree with the power rating. On the 11's (and maybe 12's) they said regular and had power number for premium fuel. But for 13's and 14's they do not state what fuel gets 365hp 420tq, I think it is because you can only get those numbers on premium fuel. It seems everyone that had an 11 and went to a 13 or 14 complained about lack of power, so I think they detuned them for the condensation issue.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Stopped for fuel today. Was so cold and windy, I slapped the button, while turning to get back in pickup. Got a surprise when it took 68 bucks to fill it up. Guess I'll be trying 91 non-ethanol one more time. Lol
Will see if top-tier makes a difference I guess. Too funny.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You are right about the timing and such with higher octane. But I am going to disagree with the power rating. On the 11's (and maybe 12's) they said regular and had power number for premium fuel. But for 13's and 14's they do not state what fuel gets 365hp 420tq, I think it is because you can only get those numbers on premium fuel. It seems everyone that had an 11 and went to a 13 or 14 complained about lack of power, so I think they detuned them for the condensation issue.
Today I was looking through the F150 sales brochure and thought of this topic. The booklet shows all the power curves and numbers. Under the ecoboost numbers, for fuel type they say regular unleaded (same as the 6.2) whereas the base V6 and the 5.0 all say regular or E85. So now I'm wondering if the 365 & 420 numbers are in fact for regular unleaded. Hmmm.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Today I was looking through the F150 sales brochure and thought of this topic. The booklet shows all the power curves and numbers. Under the ecoboost numbers, for fuel type they say regular unleaded (same as the 6.2) whereas the base V6 and the 5.0 all say regular or E85. So now I'm wondering if the 365 & 420 numbers are in fact for regular unleaded. Hmmm.
Hard to say, to me it looked like they are skirting around the numbers. It says it takes regular. But before it actually had the power numbers for premium fuel, now it doesn't.

Again I am just speculating, only proof would be to do a crank dyno. But every post that someone had an 11 and bought a 13/14 complains at how the truck doesn't seem as powerful.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well the navigator is showing the same power numbers using premium as the F150 used to. And as far as we know the drivetrain is all the same. So I'm going to assume that the numbers for our trucks with premium would be the same 380/460. Sweet!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well the navigator is showing the same power numbers using premium as the F150 used to. And as far as we know the drivetrain is all the same. So I'm going to assume that the numbers for our trucks with premium would be the same 380/460. Sweet!
That is the way it would seem. Take that chev 6.2l. Lol

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Deleted until I can retry

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Any chance you recorded times between certain speed ranges? Say, 60-80? Also, did you monitor knock or AFR?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Deleted until I can retry the logs.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts