F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I know I come and go from here, but about a year ago I custom ordered a 2020 f150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 as I had knowledge on cobb tuning support for our 3.5 and 2.7 platforms (non HO/Non Raptor) being in development. ** 2.7 SUPPORT IS IN DEVELOPMENT **

Why did I wait for cobb support to start tuning the F150 platform when SCT/HP tuners support it?

Cobb is a more luxury tuning experience for both end users and pro tuners, better table documentation, engineering support on tap M-F to get answers on algorithms that could only be explained by reading source code which is not exposed to tuners. as well as not having to license each ECU. The biggest benefit is the etuning experience. Cobb university has a vast amount of technical knowledge for end users on configuring datalogging and using the accessport. From a tuner perspective the accessport makes tuning development a more pleasant experience by being able to take logs immediately and having advanced parameters mapping to monitor knock per cylinder and more. Cobb also allows tuners to lock maps so that other tuners cannot copy their work.

Now to get to the point, last week cobb released support for the 17-19 and 2020 (different ECU). The 17-19 3.5 ecoboost has a PCM and TCM as separate modules so when buying an accessport it's recommended you get TCM support as we do recommend TCM tuning to increase transmission line pressure for increased torque/power.

We've been tuning the Fiesta ST/Focus ST platforms with cobb for around almost 3 years now and are expanding to other platforms like Audi/VW MQB (Cobb), however for our F150 and Bronco tunes we understand the market is a bit different. Most truck guys go between 86/87 gas and 91/93 gas and don't want to switch tunes or monitor parameters to know if their tune is safe with their fuel quality. This is where we we aim to make the experience different. I've done a lot of testing on the stock calibration (with hptuners) over the past 6 months in Denver (85 gas), lubbock TX (86 gas) and San Antonio (87/93). Based on what I've learned analyzing data is that these trucks knock ALOT. The ford calibration is extremely aggressive in trying to increase octane learning at all times to the point of getting 6-10 knocks in a single cylinder cruising at 30-40% throttle for 12 seconds (86 gas).

To accommodate higher than 91 octane fuels (max inferred octane) I've had to work towards my own version of octane learning, but one goal was important for me which was effectively halving the amount of knock the factory tune has at light load/cruise and make the octane learned value for stable on a single tank of fuel so that it's not fluctuating back/forth constantly. I've achieved this goal with some work and deep dive knowledge of the ECU. I'm currently doing heavy testing on 93 octane to get best performance and then will go to 91 octane and back to 87 octane to do further testing before release, but the tune would require a cobb accessport.

I'll keep this thread updated as progress on this calibration is made further towards completion, but the goal is for 440-450whp on 93 gas and then maybe a 10-15 whp over stock on 87 gas. The important part is that the tune will scale with fuel quality to ensure the vehicle is always safe.

@mwemaxxowner

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Keep at it!
Thanks for bringing it!

Reactions: MonsterTuned

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
So this is a post by Cobb correct? Business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
No, I am Monster Tuned
Ah. Never heard of that before in the past eight years I’ll have to Google that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a spot where I do 60-100 in mexico for dragy, but I started right before it went flat. invalidated by 0.35 slope :\

93 octane, 2020 3.5 f150 4x4 super crew xlt, some more tweaks to be had.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
So you’re making your version of an adaptive tune? Oh boi do you have competition.

Don’t get me wrong Cobb makes some fantastic stuff. But I’m curious why you actually took the Pro Tunee route. Everything tuning/data logging wise can also be done thru Hp Tuners and Sct for a fraction of the cost.

In the end I will personally stick with HP tuners and SCT.

Good luck with your business

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Does COBB allow some kind of adjustments that HPT or SCT does not?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I love my hp tuners because I can write to both my trucks in 45 secs.

The main difference may be the OTS tunes that they provide, are more in depth.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cobb accessport is a feature rich tool allows multiple trouble shooting diagnostics for end users as well as offering more parameters from a tuner and customer stand point. The AP takes 10 minutes to install/uninstall, but once installed it takes about 45 seconds to flash a map. The installation takes a bit because cobb installs their own rom which after a bit will include what's called "cobb custom features". When new vehicle support is added it can take up to a year to see "CCF", but I would expect launch control, transbrake, ignition based traction control and a few more that cobb puts on all the vehicles. The handheld accessport is light years better than the SCT handheld and blows the ngauge out of the water. The COBB pro tuners market is also locked down, and I have the ability to lock my calibrations remotely, where as hptuners only allows you to lock the entire PCM so no one else could ever flash it, however remote tuning with ngauge you're files would still be unlocked and viewable by other tuners.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Well there's that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
No offense at all but I still don’t see the need for an Accessport on our trucks.

Everything you just said can also be done on SCT Advantage and Hp Tuners. Sct can lock tunes and enable strategy protection. HP tuners can Tuner lock. There’s no difference. In the end SCT/HP Tuners are still the more reasonable priced options with MAJOR flexibility.

In the end the Accessport just seems like an Overly expensive handheld/X4/BDX that’s lacking in the appearance department. I’m positive no one on this forum is running an Accessport.

Overall I wish you the best of luck and curious for your results

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Cobb accessport is a feature rich tool allows multiple trouble shooting diagnostics for end users as well as offering more parameters from a tuner and customer stand point. The AP takes 10 minutes to install/uninstall, but once installed it takes about 45 seconds to flash a map. The installation takes a bit because cobb installs their own rom which after a bit will include what's called "cobb custom features". When new vehicle support is added it can take up to a year to see "CCF", but I would expect launch control, transbrake, ignition based traction control and a few more that cobb puts on all the vehicles. The handheld accessport is light years better than the SCT handheld and blows the ngauge out of the water. The COBB pro tuners market is also locked down, and I have the ability to lock my calibrations remotely, where as hptuners only allows you to lock the entire PCM so no one else could ever flash it, however remote tuning with ngauge you're files would still be unlocked and viewable by other tuners.

The price difference is negatable. The Cobb AP on the focus st is $550 (manual transmission). The 2020 F150 includes TCM flashing in the base since the tables are all on the same PCM. the 17-19 you need to buy the AP with TCM support. The 2020 F150 cobb AP is $900 and allows you to tune the transmission. The ngauge is $449, or the MPVI2 hptuners tool is $394. Then you need 4 credts to tune the F150 and Transmission and license each ecu where as with cobb I pay a monthly fee to tune unlimited cars.

You cannot flash with out an ngauge or MPVI2 so either way customer is paying $400 for a device. Then the tune cost which usually includes ECU license fee. retail is about $50 credit, so $200 in credits.

device + tune + license (vs. $900 + $300)
$400 + $300 + $200 = $900. So you save rougly $300, but you don't get a feature rich application like accessport. Anyone who owned a cobb supported vehicle will tell you that cobb tuning is always the way to go. Look at focus st/mustang ecoboost guys. SCT/HPtuners support, but cobb owns the market.
When I had the WRX for a commute car, I had the COBB Access Port and custom tunes, for the Subaru, it was top notch. I am curious for the F150 Platform, but really really really gun shy

·
Registered
2,315 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I drove a crap ton of miles to and got sketchy at 10 miles to empty twice to ensure I had 87 only in my tank and did a wot pull in 95 degree heat after octane had fully learned and settled and was within the factory spec 2 knock events before knock rate change from fast to normal on a 5th gear pull for 3-6k. Everything looks like it's working properly.

·
Administrator
10,657 Posts
I'm not sure why I was tagged in the OP. This does sound like cool stuff and I do always love when a tuner will share with us some of the specifics of timing, instead of keeping it hush hush and acting like they are afraid we're gonna steal their secret sauce.

If your platform gave the ability to get more out of my truck I might wanna try it if it would work on my current hardware, but alas I don't care to sink any more money into devices. I like my Livewire and I'm happy with @Boostking

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure why I was tagged in the OP. This does sound like cool stuff and I do always love when a tuner will share with us some of the specifics of timing, instead of keeping it hush hush and acting like they are afraid we're gonna steal their secret sauce.

If your platform gave the ability to get more out of my truck I might wanna try it if it would work on my current hardware, but alas I don't care to sink any more money into devices. I like my Livewire and I'm happy with Boostking.
I am a vendor

1 - 20 of 30 Posts