F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the common P2112 throttle body code. I'm going to order a new OEM TB, did the plugs last fall (motorcraft) but didn't think I did the coils. Just about fell over when I saw what the local dealer wanted for them.

I come from a world of euro cars where off brand ignition coils work (most of the time) in Vw and Volvos.

Now I know I'm going to get backlash from the armchair QBs who insist on OEM and off brand/china stuff will explode in the first week but I'm really looking for experience here.

Who has tried off brand ignition coils and had success or failure? I see sets of 6 for the price of one OEM.

NOTE: Before you say you get what you pay for...if you haven't tried don't preach as I've had many successes with out make/models.

I know many people only replace known bad coils as they pop up but at 160K miles I'm not sure if these are original and know a good set of working coils can help on many levels. Thanks in advance for constructive comments.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have been running msd coils 2 years now 2 very hot summers no issues. $240 ish for a set of 6 . I have a BBK throttle body on for 30,000 miles , no issues not sure if those a cheaper than oem.

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The only other brand I would use is MSD. If not, I would go Motocraft. Besides those two options, a lot of people have misfires and dead coils when they use aftermarket ones. Some have some success stories but the general consensus is those two choices.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
you get what you pay for...
There, now it looks like you said it, and not me. These engines are very particular. Very rewarding when they run right too. I would't futz around with off brands. Like the others have said, the MSD are affordable when compared to the dealer prices of Motorcraft. Name you can trust and all. The Motorcraft are affordable when comapred to the dealer cost also. RockAuto has the MC's for a decent price. Other places also will be priced below the stealership.

You need a new EBOV, go to the dealership probably. You need a new air filter, don't go to the dealer. (I know, slight embellishment) Point being, don't get common parts like that from the dealership. They mark them up like hell, and the Motorcraft coil they sell is not any better than the one you got from the not dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I’ve been running the MSD coils for a few months now and they have worked well, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts