F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - the title says it all...unfortunately.

I didn't entirely rip it off, just busted every part, including the motor. The main frame/bracket that the other parts are mounted to - the part that attaches to the truck - is still functional, still folds. My puddle light is still in tack. But nothing else.

So it looks like I may have to replace the entire assembly from what I see on the Ford Parts website. On there you can part out all but one main piece that I need - the plastic housing that the mirror itself sits inside. It seems that piece only comes with the entire assembly even though I unscrewed it from the main bracket. Either way, it looks like a $300 - $500 fowl up. :mad:

Soooo - if I have to spend that much anyway, I was thinking about moving up to towing mirrors. You see those on E-bay for about $500 +/-.
My mirrors are power fold now. I was wondering if the power fold would work on towing mirrors as well?
Also, I'm sure several of us here have made such a swap and was hoping some of you fine gentlemen could steer me in the best direction. The FX4 mirrors are painted to match on top shield. I guess I have to give that up if I go to towing style. So be it....

Thanks-

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
before i owned an eco.... I was in the parking lot for a drugstore when i was sick; and I absent mindlessly opened up my ram's door into the passenger mirror of a 2012 platinum. I cracked the outside of the mirror slightly. The original quote on damage was $900. I almost shat my pants, obviously. I was able to negotiate that mirror cost down to just under 600 installed. There was no way i would use my insurance for it. Man i was pissed!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A complete mirror assembly via Ford MoCo parts site is $588. I am assuming I could get a slightly better deal from my dealer as they have been good about things like that so far. I'm really hoping they can part it out with just the externals I need. If I can get it back OEM for <$300 then that's what I'll do. One thing I do not know is whether the colored cap is purchased that way or if I'd have to get one painted. If I have to get it painted then that could change the game too. I'd rather it be back like it was because esthetically I really don't like the Mickey Mouse ear appearance of towing mirrors even though practically they are more usable.

Thanks for the link Mike. I researched that mirror and it seems to be the best option with many satisfied folks. I'd ***** a little about loosing the puddles - especially since I had upgraded mine with some super bright LEDs. I don't care about the auto dim because mine doesn't work most of the time with my camper shell on anyway. I don't tow trailers that often outside of hunting season, don't have a TT. But because of my camper shell, I use the side views more than the rear view. So overall, other than looking like Mickey, I'm sure tow mirrors will be an improved driving experience.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I tried to edit but tapatalk isn't allowing - did not know that word would be redacted - apologies.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Oh and once upon a time... I had a 2004 F150 single cab... driving through construction zone about 15 minutes after I bought it... smacked a road work sign with drivers side mirror and blew the entire interior assembly up, plus the glass!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you go Ford, the assembly is separate from the cap, since it needs to be painted. I had to price it out in the winter after I got hit-and-ran by a work truck. Here in Canada, that's $1300 a side, plus paint. I bought the power folding tow mirrors from 1A Auto, and installed them within 30 minutes a side, taking my time. Excellent quality, and customer service. Had them within two days of ordering.

Which side did you hit? I have a spare passenger side Race Red power folding mirror in the garage that I'd sell for way cheaper than Ford... :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the right side - passenger. I might do that. What's your price? I'm sure shipping would be $60+

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to an awesome trade with RaceRed - I fixed my truck mirror last night! I was even able to repair my skullcap so no need for painting. I am a happy boy. Even got "mamma" to join me in a happy dance last night! (mamma is southernism for the wife, you can figure out the rest) Life is good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
CKNPRO
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing