F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some may call me crazy and others will just nod their heads and say "yep, woulda done the same thing". Being the gearhead that I am (aerospace engineering and precision gear system engineering are my chosen profession) I guess I just couldn't help myself... so, I did a break-in short oil change on my new '13 SCrew XLT Eco at 1465 miles with the idea that *most* of the nasty break-in residue and such would be removed before it had a chance to affect the inner workings of the engine and trans. What you will see attached are the baseline analysis reports from Blackstone Labs (shameless plug inserted here... with a disclaimer - I have no affiliation with them, I was just *really* impressed with their service and how quickly they turned my order around). I am happy that the results were deemed well within normal ranges with only the expected spikes in copper/brass/bronze and silicone, and again impressed with the personalized comments that their lab tech included on the report. So, for those thinking about doing something like this, you can't go wrong if you decide to run a short oil change at break-in. It's more a matter of economics (cost of the change over + cost of lab testing) vs. your personal risk tolerance of potential future issues 5K, 20K or 50K down the road by leaving the stock fill in (especially in the trans).

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
So sounds like you didn't need to waste your $$ on oil changes or tranny oil changes. Or analysis.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good grief I just realized how OCD I really am! I dumped my break in oil at 1000 miles and plan to change my Amsoil Signature Series every 3000 although it's supposed to be every 25000 or once a year. Plugs will go no longer than 5000

Reactions: MN_FordGuy

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
You aren't OCD, you probably don't drive much. I couldn't imagine pulling plugs every 2-3 weeks. Don't even know how I would find the time to.

Family First

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Good grief I just realized how OCD I really am! I dumped my break in oil at 1000 miles and plan to change my Amsoil Signature Series every 3000 although it's supposed to be every 25000 or once a year. Plugs will go no longer than 5000
That is quite intense lol.

I'm at 7966 km on oil change and still shows 37% oil life. I'm changing oil today anyhow. But really you're talking about prob the best oil money can buy and talking about tossing it at 3000 miles. Send it up here to Canada and I'll toss it in my truck for another 5000 miles.

And changing the plugs every 5000 miles? I could see every 15-20,000 but wow the parts stores must love you.

Eh!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Excellent thread! I recommend doing a analysis every few oil changes. And I also am right with you on getting the original fill out after 500-1000 miles, and your results show that. Blackstone is who we have always used, and their comments are great and personal.

Can't wait to see your next one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Y'all are right, she's a toy and not a daily driver! I just want the best for my baby! Did I mention this thing kicks my former Hemi's ass all day long?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sounds like you didn't need to waste your $$ on oil changes or tranny oil changes. Or analysis.
That's what I thought too, however it's not too hard to rationalize and call it "cheap insurance" for some peace of mind. At least knowing without a doubt that there weren't any unusual things going on through the break-in period gives confidence for the long-term health of the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent thread! I recommend doing a analysis every few oil changes. And I also am right with you on getting the original fill out after 500-1000 miles, and your results show that. Blackstone is who we have always used, and their comments are great and personal.

Can't wait to see your next one.
Definitely planning to pull a sample at 5K so I can do a compare to the onboard oil life prognosticator. Will post results!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Always drain first oil at 500-1000 miles as the results show, get the debris and break-in metals out. Ten change to Amsoil or another premium full syn and go 10k miles between changes as long as you dont have fuel/water/gunk accumulating. Do an analysis at 5k just to monitor and see whats happening.

Trans fluid every 30k or so and that trans will love you.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I'm at 25.. You think the dealer can handle the transmission fluid change?

Sent From The Big Swamp Land!!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
I like the guy on the other forum that did before and after installing the RX can, but he only posted the results, not the picture of the reports. Had 5% fuel dilution!!! Installed RX system and almost nil...as well as other solubles, etc. Want to see actual sheets from blackstone posted.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I like the guy on the other forum that did before and after installing the RX can, but he only posted the results, not the picture of the reports. Had 5% fuel dilution!!! Installed RX system and almost nil...as well as other solubles, etc. Want to see actual sheets from blackstone posted.
Tracy my first one was before my can and this one is after so we will have some good data!

MPT tuned....Kings of the Street!

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Catch can skeptics will still be skeptical even if Blackstone data is posted

So true. One of the 3 trouble makers on the other site just accused me of pouring drain oil in the CAC that we just drained all the oil out of to make it appear there is an issue. He claims he has never had a drop in his so I am fabricating all this....but we have yet to see one w/out.

Cool Blake!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
From what I can tell and all I've gathered from the webs damn near every consistent ecoboost problem comes down to condensation issues. Whether shuddering or full on hydrolock. Even if a can is only a half assed fix (it's not obviously) it would still be worth running. Oh and the mpg gain pays for the can anyways lol

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
From what I can tell and all I've gathered from the webs damn near every consistent ecoboost problem comes down to condensation issues. Whether shuddering or full on hydrolock. Even if a can is only a half assed fix (it's not obviously) it would still be worth running. Oh and the mpg gain pays for the can anyways lol
And we dont advertise much the fuel economy improvements, they average 1-3 mpg once the gunk has worked its way out of the system (and the CAC should be cleaned).

Fleet owners only buy these for the fuel savings....they mostly dont care about the rest it corrects as they lease mostly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been keeping my eye on all of the threads regarding catch cans. That will most likely be my next investment. Shorting the oil changes (esp. tranny) was pretty much a no-brainer for me personally. In a past life, I was heavily involved in designing and commissioning manufacturing equipment used by Ford to produce the gears in these trannys. So I have seen first-hand that while their QC processes are incredibly good, mistakes can still happen and weird things occasionally result. Just wish I could have gotten to know some of the engine folks... would love to find out what they would say about Eco PCV systems and catch cans. Hmmm... maybe some of my old transmission friends can still hook me up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts