F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put a k&n cai on my 2013 3.5 screw and after a few minutes of ripping around the neighborhood I got a somewhat strong oil smell coming through the vents. No problems other than that, anyone have same experience or know what could’ve caused it?

—also noticing a ticking sound that I didn’t remember from before

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts
Oiled filter ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
You or someone else put too much oil on the filter. Now all the intake sensors need to be cleaned. Do yourself and the truck a huge favor and take the oiled filter out and replace it with a dry filter. I hate those oiled filters. Also, imdependent studies have proven they catch less dust and smaller particles than oem

Reactions: ndtguy and DNA Dan

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think part of the issue is you were romping on the motor and those CAI filters are a pretty open weave. You're probably just smelling the oil/fuel vapors from the motor. These motors do have "blow-by" which can put more fuel in your oil. As that burns off and gets scavenged you may smell it in the intake piping. Not to say your sensors aren't dirty, so you should clean those out to remove the filter oil on there like Arkansas Eco stated. I suspect however that your filter is as good as running nothing in the box. It's only going to stop rocks that are >2-3 mm in size.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
932 Posts
Believe me. More trouble than they are worth.

·
Admodistrator
2,391 Posts
Is it a good idea to put a cold air intake on a 2.7 ecoboost, or a waste of money?
The question to ask yourself is why do you want one? You won’t filter the air any better than the paper elements you’re using now. You won’t see an appreciable HP gain unless you’re doing it with other engine modifications. You won’t save any money on filter replacements unless you run it on this and then this truck‘s replacement. So again, why do you want one? If you want a little more noise or you want your engine bay to have a little pizazz then you have a reason.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I did have a K&N (drop in cone filter) on my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it and I liked it... Never an issue with the sensors or whatever. I cleaned it a couple of times in the 255,000 miles it had on it when I traded it in 2014.

I have never thought of putting one in on my Eco... I just run the OEM MC air filter and change it once a year.

It's still clean enough that nothing comes out of it when I smack it on the floor... I don't do any real off road travel anymore... But, I did some with the old 97 and it did fine on the fine dust, but in the end, just not worth it for me on the Eco..

Your mileage may vary, but if all you did it for was the so called "CAI" part of it, then it still better be sealed from the engine compartment like the OEM plumbing is...

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks guys, I thought it might gain a little more HP, but it sounds like it's not worth the cost.
I'm still trying to get used to how this little 6banger gets it.
I 've always had V8's in my trucks.
Very happy with this EcoBoost!!😁👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts