F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck exactly 5,000 miles as of today and according to the sticker on the windshield it was due for an oil change, so I went in and had it done. But while I was sitting on the rack I read the owners manual and apparently the truck will tell me when it needs an oil change based on oil quality. Is this a reliable source? Does anyone trust this? Or should I just stick with the standard 5,000 mile interval?

·
Vendor
7,290 Posts
I've had my truck exactly 5,000 miles as of today and according to the sticker on the windshield it was due for an oil change, so I went in and had it done. But while I was sitting on the rack I read the owners manual and apparently the truck will tell me when it needs an oil change based on oil quality. Is this a reliable source? Does anyone trust this? Or should I just stick with the standard 5,000 mile interval?
Do not use 5000 OCI

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Trust these guys.

These 3.5Twin Turbo trucks really do raise the bar on ½ ton truck performance and capabilities. But one of the easiest compromises you might consider is to treat OIL like it's your grandpa's truck.

You know, the old 3000 mile change intervals. And use the good stuff too.

Ignore the manuals recommendations AND for sure ignore the computer!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
I do 4,000 miles and forget about the reminder. Then after a couple of changes the alert will pop up to change the oil and I have to search for the reset.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's based on an algorithm so it's difficult to say what to set it at. I left mine at 100% just to see how far it would go. But I still did oil changes at 5000 kms. It went almost 18,000 kms! So set it at 25% and see where it triggers for you. For me that's about 4500 kms or about 2800 miles. It all depends on your drive cycle.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I am going to bump my OCI to 4k and do an oil analysis and see how she does. I just switched to 5w-40 Rotella T6. During winter it is strict 3k changes because I short trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, I'm prepared to get flamed...
I run 10,000 miles oil change intervals on synthetic oil. 2013 3.5 with 130,000 miles.
Oil analysis says I'm throwing away good oil.
I typically average over 20,000 miles a year so it's obvious that short "3 mile commutes" are not the norm. Living in Arizona, I am not typically affected by high humidity or extremely low temps.
Let the fireworks begin:)

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Ez there fella.

We ain't that carnivorous. Especially if you got 130,000 trouble free miles on it.

But note that you did actually address one of the biggest concerns for shorter oil change intervals.

I'm betting you would adjust appropriately if the conditions called for it? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
3500 mile OCIs is a waste of perfectly good oil. These motors do stuffer from fuel dilution but plenty of UOAs have proven it doesn't affect engine wear. I change my oil every 10-12k miles and use mobil1 0w40 with 8oz of Archoil additive

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the trucks recommendation. First pill change was about 9,600 miles. I am only at about 15,000 now. Friends with 2015 and about 72,000 miles is using the trucks recommendation as well and he has had zero issues.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Modistrator
2,092 Posts
Since we’re speaking of oil. AutoZone and Mobil 1 have a deal going on right now where you can buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and an STP oil filter for $29.99, if you prefer the Mobil 1 oil filter it runs you $33.99. In either instance Mobil 1 has a rebate running for a $10 eletoronic or a physical Debit Card. You will of course need an extra quart of oil but I believe it’s a very reasonable price on decent products for those that DIY. I picked some up on Saturday.

·
Super Modistrator
2,092 Posts
OK, I'm prepared to get flamed...
I run 10,000 miles oil change intervals on synthetic oil. 2013 3.5 with 130,000 miles.
Oil analysis says I'm throwing away good oil.
I typically average over 20,000 miles a year so it's obvious that short "3 mile commutes" are not the norm. Living in Arizona, I am not typically affected by high humidity or extremely low temps.
Let the fireworks begin:)
The only person that could flame you with 130,000 trouble free miles on your truck is the guy that’s got 230,000 trouble free miles on his. ;)

·
Super Modistrator
2,092 Posts
3500 mile OCIs is a waste of perfectly good oil...
Tell you what, you pay the freight and I’ll send you my perfectly good Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles or so. Should be to good for 7,000-9,000 more miles. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL ... "hazardous material" shipping/freight will be more than the cost of the oil new. good looking out though #recyclereuse :cool:

Tell you what, you pay the freight and I’ll send you my perfectly good Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles or so. Should be to good for 7,000-9,000 more miles. ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts