F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone new guy here, been reading a lot of posts and a ton of great information out there.I just purchased a 2011 Super crew Lariat and in mint condition and runs and drives perfect. I'm wanting to understand more about the oil change frequency when I look in the display says its at 50%, I'm trying to understand what that percent is of? the manual simply says change it under 10,000 miles. so I'm wondering is that mileage setpoint changeable? if I change from synthetic to normal oil that set point value should change. Am I confused?

I have no idea what to change frequency was of the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You should not change from synthetic oil to regular.
The truck came with semi-synthetic, the computer figures the oil change interval based on your driving habits and climate conditions.
Although some may say differently synthetic oils are far superior to conventional oils. If anything go with a full synthetic oil.
My .02

·
Registered
40 Posts
i change mine at 5000 oil is cheap compared to a motor i think most dealers recommend 7500 miles i also use mobil one full synthetic and the motorcraft filter

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
On my 13, the way I understand it is when it's 100%, that's essentially on a "10,000" mile change interval. The computer is then supposed to adjust based on how it's been driven and adjust the % accordingly. The manual says under "sever" driving conditions, you should change at 7500 miles...

Well, for me, I don't pay any attention to the % on the computer... It's all about the number of miles and when I feel it's just the time to change it.. ;)

I've been doing 5000 mile changes on my vehicles for a long time now.. Got over 255,000 miles on my 97 when I traded it for the 13 and the 97 still had a bunch of life in it. I just wanted a new truck! :)

I took the 13 in for it's first oil change at 2800 miles. The dealer overfilled by 1 qt, but I caught it early and fixed it... I just did my first garage oil change on the 13 and it was a mess, but I learned a LOT! I did that at 6400 miles, just because I've still got a couple of camping trips planned and it's been hot and I just wanted to change the oil in it!

I put in Castrol Edge 5w30 in it with a MC filter... Same oil I used with the 97, so I'm good with it.. :)

Oil changes are cheap, so I'll go no more than 5000 on a change and with the direct injection on these things and the oil dilution the oil does get because of that, I'll change it often!

Then, I'll just reset the stupid oil change %... But, you can set it to 50% if you want to start off with it and have the computer tell you when it's down to 0%... ;) That'll be about 5000 miles essentially..

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
based on your driving habits and climate conditions. Hum, interesting

Thanks for the reply
When I asked the service manager about how the oil change interval was calculated that is what he told me.
If you search for it I also believe it is in the owners manual as well.
On one oil change I had 7500 miles and the oil percentage was at 40% left. That would have put me at 12K between oil changes. That was when I asked the dealer and was told that you can go by the computer but they recommend not going over what the manual says.
That being said I also purchased my truck for the fuel economy. I don't beat on it, take it off road or tow much with it.

You can't go wrong with what Mitch said either. Changing the oil to often will not hurt your truck.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
based on your driving habits and climate conditions. Hum, interesting

Thanks for the reply
Not true, you can change the distance setting in the menu on the dash.

SSG Outdoors

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not true, you can change the distance setting in the menu on the dash.

SSG Outdoors
My comment was more about how the computer figures the life of the oil. According to what I was told it calculates the frequency based on driving habits, air temp etc. I was told if you run the truck hard the computer takes that info and it changes the oil percentage accordingly.
Or as I just did the original poster can go to their truck, get the owners manual and open his/her owners manual to page #412 and read the information provided which then may help them in understanding how the system works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts