F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my oil at 2500 miles and switched over to full synthetic.
I just changed the oil on my wife's RAV4 and after doing so decided to check how much life my oil has left according to the handy dandy Ford computer.
Computer says I am at 49% of life. I have 7800 and change on the odometer, so that means I've gone over 5300 miles and should be good for almost another 5K before oil needs changing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did a lot of research about this years ago and found a forum that discussed it very thoroughly. The majority of testing done stated that full synthetic can easily last 8k miles in a new age engine. A few members had testing done at 5k miles and the report showed that the oil still had plenty of life. I believe 5k is a good benchmark depending on the conditions you put the engine through. There are other forums that state full synthetic can go over 10k in certain engines, but i wouldn't recommend that. Some guys where going 10k between changes and the testing showed that the oil was still good.

Now the filter is another issue.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that just it. I have already put 5K on and it says I'm at 49%. Manual says you can go up to 7500 miles between oil changes depending on driving conditions.
I know Amsoil is good for 12 months or 25K with a new filter at 6 months. I ran it in several vehicles including my 04 diesel which has 130K on it and still runs great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
By all means if you are cruising the highways in California change the oil @ 8,000 miles/12000kms. But in the real world with hills/mountains/cold winters you better stick to 5000 miles/8000 kms. Sythetic is better for covering engine components at start up and will not degrade over time like conventional oil but no way I would go 25000 kms without an lof.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been changing the oil in my ecoboost every 5000km. I do a lot of idling in the winter and run hot in the summer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always used Mobil 1. In my Mazda3, I changed the oil every 7,500 miles. When I traded it in on my 2013 xlt, I had 93,000 miles on it. Never any problems. My dealer recommended every 8,000 on my f150. Sounds reasonable to me. I'll set the oil life at 80% when I change....should get me close to 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just set my first service appointment for next week. 4500 miles on the truck now, so it's first oil change will come before 5000, but after that I plan to stick to around 7500 mile intervals. I'm interested to see what the oil life monitor continues to tell me because at 4500 miles it's still reading over 60%.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer told me that I could go by the oil monitor, but, he also said that he would recommend sticking to the recommended 7500 miles as a max.
I'm thinking it may be time to do an analysis and switch to Amsoil and a once a year oil and 6 month filter change.
I did this on 3 previous vehicles and all ran flawlessly for over 100K before I traded or sold them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
After much reading, I will be changing my motor oil back to Amsoil signature series 5w30. . .since I'm
old school, every 5k miles

·
Registered
900 Posts
every 5k with Motorcraft 5w30 and motorcraft filter.. No need to go over that.. Oil change is cheap at 39.00.. Rather be safe changing it early

·
Registered
360 Posts
The dealer told me that I could go by the oil monitor, but, he also said that he would recommend sticking to the recommended 7500 miles as a max.
I'm thinking it may be time to do an analysis and switch to Amsoil and a once a year oil and 6 month filter change.
I did this on 3 previous vehicles and all ran flawlessly for over 100K before I traded or sold them.
I'll never do an analysis, but that's exactly what I plan to stick to. The oil monitor is just extra peace of mind as I see it... i.e... if I know Ive been driving the truck easy and I let one oil change slip to 8,000 miles or more Im not going to sweat it. The plan is every 7,000+. I remember the days of 3,000 intervals in my first trucks, but on the last two that slipped to 4,000 - 5,000 mile intervals, and that was using conventional oil. I figure an even newer engine design and syntehtic takes me to at least 7,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amsoil products are meant for 1 year or 25K oil changes. Not many people put on more then 15K in a year. My wife used to put on 30K.
I was doing it annually and spinning on a new high quality (not this Fram crap) filter every 6 months. I never experienced any problems doing this and I saved all my reciepts just in case I did.
I've talked with Amsoil and they will go to court for you and use oil analysis to prove one way or another why a failure happened.
In the end I was paying more for the product but less annually then if I did a change every 3K. Back then that was the recommended.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Its interesting to note there are many differing opinions on oil change intervals. Most people usually justify the period used by a the miles on oil interval (example 5k miles) and total miles on the unit (example 119k miles) validating and qualifying the oil interval used with "never any problems".

There's nothing wrong with that as each individual makes their own decisions for their vehicles. No one is telling or demanding or demeaning any owner for making the decisions they do.

The issue with the qualification is that there's no scientific evidence that validates that problems don't exist. The only thing the owner likely knows for certain is that a catastrophic engine issue didn't occur. The owner doesn't have any data from the internals to assess the health of the internals being good or bad condition. Is there fuel present, water, high levels of silicon (dirt) or considerable amounts of iron, aluminum, copper. Each of which possibly in combination can allude to an issue before a catastrophic. Many of these and other materials found in oil can greatly shorten the actual life or usability range of the oil. This certainly can differ from vehicle to vehicle even of exact make and model. Today's engines are more robust than at time in our history. Though they are far from perfect even from like units. Results may vary unit to unit. Moreover identification up front of issues that are starting to propagate offers a better likelihood to catch something going extremely bad before a catastrophic event does occur.

Just something to evaluate as you make the best decisions for your vehicle.

Respectfully.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There are no performance standards or criteria required of a synthetically manufactured oil to be sold as “synthetic.” Is as wrong as claiming a red truck is faster than blue.

is also dead wrong to make a blanket claim of synthetic motor oils being suitable for rpextdnded drain intervals. There are real published standards and test procedures for extended drain. Perhaps the oil manufacturer makes extended drain claims on the label and you choose to trust? Or you can look for ACEA A5/B5 under the certifications. Beware ACEA states A5/B5 is not suitable for all engines, I don’t know why.

is not clear all posts above understand the IOLM is not an oil quality test. Is a clock. Runs faster under “severe operating service”, slower under light loads. Counts cold starts and how hot or cold the start. Times out at 12 months no matter how you drive. It will run exactly the same no matter what oil is used.

Ford specifies 5W-30 meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Regardless of claims, you'll find very few of us Ecoboosters around here believing in extended oil change intervals on our trucks.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Good fresh quality oil and lots of it is a common strategy for lots of us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,072 Posts
Its interesting to note there are many differing opinions on oil change intervals. Most people usually justify the period used by a the miles on oil interval (example 5k miles) and total miles on the unit (example 119k miles) validating and qualifying the oil interval used with "never any problems".

There's nothing wrong with that as each individual makes their own decisions for their vehicles. No one is telling or demanding or demeaning any owner for making the decisions they do.

The issue with the qualification is that there's no scientific evidence that validates that problems don't exist. The only thing the owner likely knows for certain is that a catastrophic engine issue didn't occur. The owner doesn't have any data from the internals to assess the health of the internals being good or bad condition. Is there fuel present, water, high levels of silicon (dirt) or considerable amounts of iron, aluminum, copper. Each of which possibly in combination can allude to an issue before a catastrophic. Many of these and other materials found in oil can greatly shorten the actual life or usability range of the oil. This certainly can differ from vehicle to vehicle even of exact make and model. Today's engines are more robust than at time in our history. Though they are far from perfect even from like units. Results may vary unit to unit. Moreover identification up front of issues that are starting to propagate offers a better likelihood to catch something going extremely bad before a catastrophic event does occur.

Just something to evaluate as you make the best decisions for your vehicle.

Respectfully.
I'm sure you're aware, but thankfully, in today's technological age, we actually CAN get that data. We can gather a used oil sample and send it off to be analyzed for around 30 bucks or so.

It's true that most folks involved in these arguments haven't usually done that, but occasionally somebody WILL back up their oil claims with real data!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since my truck was new in 2014, I have regularly changed oil every 5,000 miles. Also since new, I have used Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend oil and Motorcraft filters. I've always used 5k because the owners manual says to change it at 5k intervals if the usage falls under the severe category. At least 1/2 of my 83k miles has been towing, so I consider my usage as severe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts