F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone doing for oil? When are you changing it? By milage or going off the oil life meter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is everyone doing for oil? When are you changing it? By milage or going off the oil life meter?
I will not go by the meter. My previous vehicle, a 2010 Cadillac SRX went for over 10k miles before oil change was due according to computer and that oil was really nasty and I noticed a little smoke coming out the tail pipe. So, on my new truck I will use mobil 1 but won't let it exceed 5-6k miles with synthetic....

·
Registered
128 Posts
The first oil change was on the dealership so i let them do it at 3k with their synthetic-blend, plan on running it for 3k. After that i'll be switching over to Mobil 1 and changing it every 5k.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Mine just logged over 3000 miles and I will be doing it either one evening this week or this weekend for sure. Using Motorcraft Synthetic and Motorcraft filter. Will watch the condition of the oil from there between 3K and 5K miles or 3 months whichever occurs first. Gotta keep up those turbo seals and bearings!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I always try and make sure its changed every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed my oil at 5,000 miles. Did it myself cause I heard many ford shops were making a mess and owners not being happy after a service. Yes it's a little tricky but at least I know that I'm doing a good job. For oil just using what Ford recommends.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Just changed mine for the first time yesterday. Used Motorcraft synthetic and filter. Interesting getting to the bung and filter. Was a learning experience and a bit of a mess after learning where the oil was going to fall out. Will be much easier and faster next time!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not go by the Computer. They are not accurate. Stick with the old tried and true, change at either 3K or 5K depending on oil, if you want your truck to last.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you think they are not accurate? I have read in fleet managers articles they recomend going by the computer. It goes by oil temp, RPM's, and hours. They say you are wasting your money by changing oil too often. It makes sense to me. The engineers that built the EB know a lot more then I do, so I'm going with what they recomend.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
When I did my first one at 3500, the oil smelled so bad and was so dark it made me wonder what it would have been like at 0% vs. the 60% showing on the oil life indicator. Could be that it was just the first but will be paying close attention to aroma during the second this spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Little bit of experience with the oil change. Been running full synthetic. Average 8000 miles between oil changes. I reset the oil life to 80%. Tends to notify me 300-500 miles before trip computer hits 8000 miles. I have 78,000 on my 2011 ecoboost no issues.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Interesting info. Since mine is on its first change now I think I'll have an analysis done with the next change and just see what's in there. Perhaps that will help this old fossil come to terms with extended intervals! Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the oil change interval on the truck for the most part. There are exceptions though. I always change when it shows 40 percent left unless I am about to go somewhere with the big trailer. Oil gets refreshed before every big trip. Cheap insurance. Mobile 1 full synthetic and Motorcraft filters. I was letting the dealership change it till the last one where they hit me with a 79 dollar bill for changing the oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use the AMSoil full synthetic with mine, it says it's good for 25, 000 miles, all you do is change the oil filter about half way through. That being said, I'm nearing 10, 000 miles and am getting ready to change my oil mainly because I can't see myself feeling comfortable going 25, 000 miles on oil, synthetic or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just did mine for the first time with 1,200 miles. I like to change it early on the first oil change. I went with Mobil 1 extended performance 5w 30 and a mobil 1 oil filter. I will change every 5,000 miles and continue with Mobil 1 and use a motorcraft oil filter. It was kind of a pain to reach the filter and I may take it to the Ford dealer next time and I will supply the oil.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts