F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not an engineer or scientist. I am not sponsored by anyone. I purchased these filters with my own money.

This is all solely my opinion based on my observations. You can draw your own conclusions based upon the pictures and/or your own research.

I decided to cut open a Motorcraft FL-500S and a WIX/XP 57502XP for a comparison of the components.

Motorcraft FL-500S purchased on Amazon for $5.97 +tx

WIX/XP 57502XP purchased from Rockauto for $7.15 +tx (this price has shipping factored into the price)

My personal beliefs are the WIX is better mainly for the media. As you will see in the photos, the WIX media is much thicker and more durable.

These first 2 photos are a view of all the components.

The Motorcraft has a larger overall diameter, maybe 1mm , and is slightly longer.

The next 2 photos are the mounting seals.

Motorcraft seal is larger and thicker. It also is a lot stiffer than the WIX seal.

Next 2 photos are the base plates with anti-drain back seals.

Both base plates are equally thick and heavy. Motorcraft has 7 oval openings while the WIX has 8 round openings. The anti- drain back seals are equivalent material and thickness. The WIX seal is larger and a bit stiffer.

These next are the base of the filter media. The Motorcraft appears to have its emergency bypass built into the base of the filter, while the WIX has the traditional at the top (I’ll cover this one later)
The bases of both filters media are equally rigid and were sealed to the media very well. The WIX had a metal collar separating the filter base from the anti - drain seal. The Motorcraft has a welded in collar that is part of the emergency bypass. Cutting open the bypass showed a rubber gasket, metal retainer and a spring.

Next are the filter media. Motorcraft is yellow. It’s a paper/cellulose media. It’s equal in height to the WIX. It’s much longer though, the torn off section is the amount of media length that’s over the WIX. This is pretty much where the comparison ends though.
The WIX media is at least 3x’s thicker than the Motorcraft and MUCH more durable, and that’s without taking the screen backing into account. The WIX media also had deeper pleats. At least 1/4” deeper. The Motorcraft media was glued together while the WIX was crimped with a metal strip. It was much harder to get the WIX media to separate and it would not tear at all.

Next are the center support tubes. Both were equally strong made from perforated sheet metal with a spiral seam.
Motorcrafts tube was much larger diameter, this appears to be due to the media pleats not being as thick as the WIX.

Last are the top caps of the media. Motorcraft has a solid cap with a sheet metal spring device. The WIX has a cap with the typical built in spring emergency bypass with a pretty heavy spring on top to separate the media top from the housing.

Overall I feel they both are quality filters. They both seem solid and built with quality metal. I found the media to be the main difference. I found the WIX media to be far superior to the Motorcraft solely from observation. I haven’t tested them for flow or particulate size.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Nicely done and presented.

I'd like to know if either is superior at keeping oil up on top of the motor after killing the motor. In other words, does one do a better job of anti-drain from the phasers?

I might use the wix and do a comparison of how many seconds it takes to crank the motor before oil pressure registers on the ODB pid.

I know, I'm dreaming. But it cost nothing to compare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I always get excited when i see these types of reviews. Then i get depressed when i think of my canister filter lol

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Nicely done and presented.

I'd like to know if either is superior at keeping oil up on top of the motor after killing the motor. In other words, does one do a better job of anti-drain from the phasers?

I might use the wix and do a comparison of how many seconds it takes to crank the motor before oil pressure registers on the ODB pid.

I know, I'm dreaming. But it cost nothing to compare.

What are you using now, @snakebitten?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Ya, the micron particulate size and anti drain back actually working is all that matters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I ordered 6 of the WIX filters and they sent me 7. So that’s why I decided to cut it open. I’ll be using the WIX filters for the next 18 months, so I’ll keep you posted on any findings.
I also use Red Line 5w-30 (yeah, I know it’s expensive) and BG MOA. I’ll be sending my oil to Blackstone for analysis including TBN.
I’ve also started running BG EPR at my oil changes (only once so far) I want to see what the fuel dilution is as I use it. It’s supposed to help seal the piston rings and reduce the blow by.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

·
Registered
536 Posts
Amazing that with all the components an oil filter can be sold at around 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Amazing that with all the components an oil filter can be sold at around 5 bucks.
I was thinking the same thing! I guess great minds think alike. . . . Great job on the write up OP, I found it very informative.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The filter (primarily) and price is why Ford does my oil changes. In the past I have let a quicky lube type shop do a couple changes, but never again. I went to start up my truck one morning and i could hear a little rattle. Had the dealer change the oil that week and 60,000 miles later its never returned. Unless another filter tested better at keeping the oil in the phasers and chain guides its not worth the risk.

It is always cool to see the insides of stuff good job on the review.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Am glad my 2.7EB has a cartridge filter. All the fool FUD about “drainback valve” and bypass valves have been designed and implemented by Ford.

I have never seen a drainback valve do anything but in the few seconds the engine is stopping. We have all heard water hammers in homes when clothes or dish washer suddenly shuts off then water inertia slams pipes. This kind of thing can happen with oil in an engine.

I find engines with can oil filters mounted open end up often are less than half full cold in the morning. Something amazing is occurring to siphon the oil out of the filter. Am pretty sure oil is flowing the normal forward direction out the center.

My Subaru mounts oil filter open end down. OE and Wix filters are mostly empty in just a few minutes. Thankfully because it would be a nasty mess otherwise. Ditto for cartridge filter on 2.7EB.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Am glad my 2.7EB has a cartridge filter. All the fool FUD about “drainback valve” and bypass valves have been designed and implemented by Ford.

I have never seen a drainback valve do anything but in the few seconds the engine is stopping. We have all heard water hammers in homes when clothes or dish washer suddenly shuts off then water inertia slams pipes. This kind of thing can happen with oil in an engine.

I find engines with can oil filters mounted open end up often are less than half full cold in the morning. Something amazing is occurring to siphon the oil out of the filter. Am pretty sure oil is flowing the normal forward direction out the center.

My Subaru mounts oil filter open end down. OE and Wix filters are mostly empty in just a few minutes. Thankfully because it would be a nasty mess otherwise. Ditto for cartridge filter on 2.7EB.
That's not the only thing that I like better about the 2.7 VS the 3.5.

While I realize that there is more low hanging fruit with the 3.5, thus the hot-rodders (aftermarket and developers) pour the majority of their efforts into the big brother, the 2.7 is out there in huge numbers, but with so much less negative noise.

I'd love to have a 2.7 clone at a larger displacement. But a clone. Don't change its unique "take" on the Ecoboost drawing board. But increase the scale to end up with 3.5 performance numbers.

I don't think it would end up being 3.5 to meet those numbers?

And I would not require a tune to be happy with it!

And leave that cartridge filter as is. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts