F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just recently purchased a 2019 F150 XLT SuperCrew with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It has 45K miles and only one previous owner. I purchased this truck from a dealer about 2.5 hours away.

I have owned this truck for 3 weeks and did the first oil change today. Whenever I took off the oil filter cover to replace the oil filter I noticed 2-3 metal flakes (circled red) on the cover (location circled green). I wasn’t able to take a photo of this but the flake was similar to one I found on google next to the dime. I tried to google this but the 3 posts I came across did not comment on what it was, the resolution, or any issues. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and could provide some insight.

TIA.

Coin Money handling Money Currency Circle

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Magenta Automotive wheel system

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to also provide that I took the old oil filter and stripped the plastic holdings from it so I could take a light and examine for any metal pieces while it was spread out. I did not find anything on either side of the actual filter itself.
My only theory is that the previous person who did the oil change tightened the cover too tight on the housing which caused some metal flakes from the housing itself.
Automotive tire Camera lens Digital camera Camera Cameras & optics

· Registered
867 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. Not sure of the why or how, but i found shards of that metal in the filter and panicked a bit. I’ve not seen it again since being more careful with it.

edit: i thought your pic was familiar.. that was my thread you’re referring to.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine did the exact same thing. Not sure of the why or how, but i found shards of that metal in the filter and panicked a bit. I’ve not seen it again since being more careful with it.

Haha yeah I was anxious when I saw it. I was trying to scalp the internet for a pic and yours was spot on lol. So no known issues from it or since that happened? If you don’t mind me asking, what oil do you use it?

· Registered
867 Posts
Haha yeah I was anxious when I saw it. I was trying to scalp the internet for a pic and yours was spot on lol. So no known issues from it or since that happened? If you don’t mind me asking, what oil do you use it?
No issues in the 20 thousand miles since then.
I use full synthetic 5w-30 that meets the required specs and I change it around 4k miles

· Registered
10,507 Posts

I was gunna say, I am pretty sure I had seen this thread before but the dates didnt make sense :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,678 Posts
All three of my ecoboost periodically had similar flakes in the oil and filter.
It seems pretty common from all the people I talk with that do their own oil changes and actually inspect the oil. I also cut open and inspect my oil filter if not every change every other change (I do 3k mile change intervals )

Edit: to be fair all my past v8 engines I never really inspected the oil, I let the EcoBoost paranoia hype get to me with these engines though thus reason I even got into the habit of inspecting.

· Registered
2020 Ford F150 STX Supercrew 2.7
1 Posts

Hello everyone.

I just recently purchased a 2019 F150 XLT SuperCrew with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It has 45K miles and only one previous owner. I purchased this truck from a dealer about 2.5 hours away.

I have owned this truck for 3 weeks and did the first oil change today. Whenever I took off the oil filter cover to replace the oil filter I noticed 2-3 metal flakes (circled red) on the cover (location circled green). I wasn’t able to take a photo of this but the flake was similar to one I found on google next to the dime. I tried to google this but the 3 posts I came across did not comment on what it was, the resolution, or any issues. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and could provide some insight.

TIA.

View attachment 185035

View attachment 185038
Just bought a 2020 2.7 STX a few weeks ago and ditched the dealerships Oil for a quality synthetic/filter right away and had the same exact thing happen to me. Took the cartridge off and noticed identical metal slivers externally on the filter itself and some wedged up against the cartridge threads themselves. My guess is the dealership over torqued it. I was freaked out by this but after reading the other posts on here I feel better about it. I did take my filter off the other day just to inspect it and noticed another sliver on the housing threads. Took some paper towels and wiped the housing threads to try and remove any other possible metal. HOPEFULLY nothing fell in as a result of me doing that. Don't recall seeing any other metal on the paper towel. Oil pressure is perfect and engine is smooth and quiet. Just paranoid coming from a Honda to an Ecoboost lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts