F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a kit so i can build a oil cooler setup. i couldn't find any for the ecoboost. Thanks for any help.

·
Vendor
7,193 Posts
I am trying to find a kit so i can build a oil cooler setup. i couldn't find any for the ecoboost. Thanks for any help.

What is your budget. We have a nice setup we usually only have available to customers who have motors built by us. Can you mount it yourself. Remote mount is a thermostatically controlled billet anodized mount along with take off adapter. 19 row setrab oil cooler. -10 lines.

Full race also sells one that is good. Complete kit.this is the route is probably go if the motors not out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy response, I was hoping to find a adapter plate for the filter and then piece the rest together from there, so like 100-200$? I am doing the larger tranny cooler with a late 80's Tarus fan, I have both already, so I figure I have room for a oil cooler. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Vendor
7,193 Posts
Thanks for the speedy response, I was hoping to find a adapter plate for the filter and then piece the rest together from there, so like 100-200$? I am doing the larger tranny cooler with a late 80's Tarus fan, I have both already, so I figure I have room for a oil cooler. Let me know your thoughts.
Improved racing. M22 x1.5 thread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size fittings do you recommend and what size radiator? I haven't done the math yet but its something i need to consider, it wont help if the oil loses a significant rate of flow. Thanks for the resources so far, very helpful!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disregard my last comment, I figured it out after I reread your comment. I will be doing the oil cooling installing myself and was curious what your price was vs the rough $500 I gathered this evening through amazon and Improved Racing. Thanks again Ryan.

·
Vendor
7,193 Posts
Disregard my last comment, I figured it out after I reread your comment. I will be doing the oil cooling installing myself and was curious what your price was vs the rough $500 I gathered this evening through amazon and Improved Racing. Thanks again Ryan.
I actually use improved racing for our oil cooler parts. I’d see about going direct to them, and our pricing is in line with pricing you see on their website. Definitely stick to -10 and keep the remote mount as low as possible but not too low it will get hit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can tell you not to buy the Derale stuff. I made that mistake and had two o-rings (you think I would have learned after the first one!) go out and blow oil all over and had to be towed. I haven't looked for one since then.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I can tell you not to buy the Derale stuff. I made that mistake and had two o-rings (you think I would have learned after the first one!) go out and blow oil all over and had to be towed. I haven't looked for one since then.
The derale electric fan I bought was a piece of **** too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am going to stay away from the cast stuff, to much on the line when I am towing in 100 degree weather with 10k lb behind the truck for something stupid like a **** barb fitting or lose cast thread fitting to blow out and leave me SOL with the kids and worse the wife in the truck complaining on the side of the road. NO. THANK. YOU. :D

Has anyone tried that Mishimoto universal oil cooler that american truck sells? The price is pretty reasonable. I was thinking I might just go that route, also curious as to where to mount the radiator at, I was thinking just to the right of the hood latch, besides that I am not 100% sold that I need the thermostatic filter mount, I live in central WA and the winters can get pretty cold, but I run Amsoil which I haven't ever had a problem with in the cold, plus I use a block heater everyday in the winter. Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice, this forum rocks!

·
Vendor
7,193 Posts
Yeah I am going to stay away from the cast stuff, to much on the line when I am towing in 100 degree weather with 10k lb behind the truck for something stupid like a **** barb fitting or lose cast thread fitting to blow out and leave me SOL with the kids and worse the wife in the truck complaining on the side of the road. NO. THANK. YOU.

Has anyone tried that Mishimoto universal oil cooler that american truck sells? The price is pretty reasonable. I was thinking I might just go that route, also curious as to where to mount the radiator at, I was thinking just to the right of the hood latch, besides that I am not 100% sold that I need the thermostatic filter mount, I live in central WA and the winters can get pretty cold, but I run Amsoil which I haven't ever had a problem with in the cold, plus I use a block heater everyday in the winter. Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice, this forum rocks!
I think you can find a better oil cooler. Setrab is just one example and night and day a better core

Setrab Series 9, 19 row cooler is the exact cooling efficiency you would want for this motor with a 215 deg thermostat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you can find a better oil cooler. Setrab is just one example and night and day a better core

Setrab Series 9, 19 row cooler is the exact cooling efficiency you would want for this motor with a 215 deg thermostat.
So if I go with that large of a oil cooler what mounting position do you suggest and also curious why the 215 t stat for it instead of the 180? I think I have made up my mind too, the Improved Racing sandwich plate with a Setrab rad and whatever 10an connectors and hose my parts store has. I should probably get that mounting bracket they sell too, I already am in the process of fabbing up some hangers for the Tarus fan. Thanks again Ryan!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've got some nice machined aluminum parts (sammich adapter and filter mount) which I've never gotten around to installing, they are all Hamburger branded seems entirely comparable to Improved Racing. The machining work is top notch, I want to tape them up before I install them so I don't scratch em up!

I have also though of adding an oil cooler, but I really don't know where I would run one. I don't want to stack ANOTHER core in front of the already over-loaded radiator.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have also though of adding an oil cooler, but I really don't know where I would run one. I don't want to stack ANOTHER core in front of the already over-loaded radiator.
Well my plan is to stick it in the right upper corner, with a late 80's tarus fan covering half the upgraded tranny cooler and half the oil cooler, the fan will sit in place with 3 hand fabricated heat treated 1/8" flat steel bar mounts that I will bend into place with a vice and torch, The fan I am adding will be on its own relay with a single position switch with a 40 amp in line fuse. I don't see how it would over load the radiator system as its a standalone system, my only concern is if the tarus fan moves to much air and gets the stock fan spooled up to much and frys the voltage via polarity, if that makes sense....:confused:

·
Vendor
7,193 Posts
So if I go with that large of a oil cooler what mounting position do you suggest and also curious why the 215 t stat for it instead of the 180? I think I have made up my mind too, the Improved Racing sandwich plate with a Setrab rad and whatever 10an connectors and hose my parts store has. I should probably get that mounting bracket they sell too, I already am in the process of fabbing up some hangers for the Tarus fan. Thanks again Ryan!
It’s actually really small size wise. You’d do a 215 degree Tstat.

Your welcome

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s actually really small size wise. You’d do a 215 degree Tstat.

Your welcome
Gotcha, i'm gonna order it all tomorrow morning. Where did you guys decide to tuck the oil cooler anyways, is the upper right side next to the latch a good location?

Your help is much appreciated, if I ever grenade/hydro lock my block i'll go secure a personal loan for you guys to build me something rad. Thanks again!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just put my order in for the Setrab 19 row series 9 cooler, Improved Racing ENV-130 Sandwich plate with 212 t stat & -10an fittings. The young man that helped me Kyler was super helpful, gave me a 5% discount after I asked if he had any discount codes or promos, he even said they do discounts for active duty military. My order came out to a smidgen over $400 with free shipping, won't be here until next Friday but that's when I get my tranny cooler so no worries, super stoked!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm even partially tempted to locate it behind the driver side fog light, and make a rock cover to keep the tire from destroying it.
I image as a 'radiator' might imply that even without direct air flow, it would bleed off a good amount of heat, certainly a lot more than nothing! Also, considering mounting the oil filter in the same general area, maybe integrate it all in one deal behind the driver fog light.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm even partially tempted to locate it behind the driver side fog light, and make a rock cover to keep the tire from destroying it.
I image as a 'radiator' might imply that even without direct air flow, it would bleed off a good amount of heat, certainly a lot more than nothing! Also, considering mounting the oil filter in the same general area, maybe integrate it all in one deal behind the driver fog light.
Normally I would agree with you that a radiator any old spot would be good enough. But in the case of this boost happy, ill equipped cooling, high low end torque of a truck, I would like mine front and center to avoid heat soaking the engine when its 110 out while I pull my 9000lb travel trailier, if its even possible.

Something that really grinds me is that I used to drive a max tow/max payload 2wd 5.4 triton for work that was a early 2000's and it had a oil cooler and a tranny cooler, big ones in fact. If I had to guess I would assume it was the same setup the superduty gasers had. Why Ford decided to put the equivalent of a mini van cooling system in a truck rated for over 10lb towing has got me kind of pissed off, its a good thing I like spending money on cool auto parts.:cool: Just don't let my wife find out that her dad was "right" and that I should have bought a diesel..:rolleyes: I hate driving small dump trucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is your budget. We have a nice setup we usually only have available to customers who have motors built by us. Can you mount it yourself. Remote mount is a thermostatically controlled billet anodized mount along with take off adapter. 19 row setrab oil cooler. -10 lines.

Full race also sells one that is good. Complete kit.this is the route is probably go if the motors not out
sorterofsorts
Checked their web site and did not find one for the F-150 3.5 EB. By chance do you have further info on it?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts