F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay experts, looking for a secondary place to tap the oil system to feed an aftermarket gauge while retaining the factory switch and location. As we all know the "dummy gauge" is just that. It is not a legitimate pressure gauge despite it LOOKING like one. I am looking at putting a real deal gauge in place to monitor this VERY important piece of the puzzle...

Yes I could very well put a T in place where the factory switch is on the factory oil filter adapter, however I am curious if any of you engine builders have pulled one of the many knockouts on the 3.5 block and used a properly sized bushing to achieve this.

Yes I have searched, only saw a handful of posts, one was RMB's regarding the aftermarket oil filter adapter kit his company makes. Did not answer my question.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I would probably go for a sandwich adapter or relocation for the filter (needs it anyway!) to get the appropriate ports. I wouldn't go punching holes in the block unless a rod does it first!

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already have a sandwich adapter, relocation, external cooler. Unfortunately the Derale sandwich adapter I have does not have the extra port. Thought about drilling and tapping to add one and will if need be.

The 3.5 has a ton of plugged holes, is why I was asking. They are filled with 14mm or so hex head plugs. Without pulling one to see if it is a water jacket or oil...I won't know. I mean I will, since it is torn down anyway.

Was just curious if anyone had already found the "perfect" port to get the signal or not.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to pull some plugs and see what I come up with...will happen when I get back from California...I shall advise.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so the majority of plugs on the block are water jackets, which is fine for a coolant temperature sensor but does nothing for my application.

The good thing is that on this particular motor, the oil filter adapter on the driver side of the engine has two plugs in it. Both are m22x1.5 threads.

I ordered some Setrab "proline" ports which essentially provide an 1/8 inch NPT port in place of those plugs.

So on the pressure side I will put the pressure sensor and on the inlet side I will put the temperature sensor.

Bam. Problem solved, problem staying solved. Pictures to follow.

Reactions: Scott91370
1 - 6 of 6 Posts