F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed this. I've got the lower clamp on the CAC on tight and have tried it at the bottom and top of the coupler but there still seems to be oil residual leaking down the back side of the CAC discharge pipe.

Sent from my phablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
uploadfromtaptalk1394851476545.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1394851489416.jpg
Top pic is front view. Bottom is back side. I wiped it off but oil was leaking down the back side. Do I have the clamp in the right spot? I never had that with the stock pipe because of the way it went together with retainer clip. I don't see how this coupler and band will make this sealed up like stock.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know if it's your problem, but I always try to keep hose clamps as close to the edge of the hose as possible. Loosen it up and pull the clamp closer to the edge, try to leave no more than about an 1/8 -14" space between the leading edge of the coupler hose and the clamp edge. That way you know you have a good tight grasp under the coupler hose and there's more of the clamps pressure is applied to the tub under the coupler hose.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would also suggest taking a can of hair spray and lightly spray it on where the coupler connects...then MOVE the coupler closer to the edge of the pipe.

The hair spray actually helps the seal...but it's a pain the A$$ when you have to remove it. Looks like a rubber coupler----I've only used this trick on Silicone couplers. You might want to make sure that it will not degrade the rubber coupler.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I would also suggest taking a can of hair spray and lightly spray it on where the coupler connects...then MOVE the coupler closer to the edge of the pipe.

The hair spray actually helps the seal...but it's a pain the A$$ when you have to remove it. Looks like a rubber coupler----I've only used this trick on Silicone couplers. You might want to make sure that it will not degrade the rubber coupler.
Soapy water works too.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I think it's fine, mine does the same thing. As long as it's no leaking boost I wouldn't worry about it.

*Sent from ..Back in Low Boost *

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it's fine, mine does the same thing. As long as it's no leaking boost I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's leaking oil, it's probably leaking a small amount of air, too.
Soapy water works too.
Never tried soapy water, but I know that the hairspray def seals it up.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Very slight boost leak, nothing to worry about. But do get the RX PCV/catchcan system and stop all the oil/water ingestion, etc.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Not to derail this thread. . But i seen your rx catch can In person. Very nice product.

Also seen what came or if it .. which was about 3 days worth of build up. It really wasn't life or death amount of stuff. Also seen 1500 miles worth of build up. Again not enough to worry about. You average 26 gallons for every 400 miles. You burn thru 76 gallons of fuel and the catch can catches less than 1 gallon of junk. In the Big picture is not enough gunk to hurting the truck.

That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it could be an issue in say the difference over the life of the truck 100K miles.

If you plan on keeping it, it's prob not a bad idea.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Soapy water works too.
You learned that trick when you were like 12 didn't you

Boosting hard, boosting safe since 2013

Reactions: brucesears

·
Registered
182 Posts
You learned that trick when you were like 12 didn't you

Boosting hard, boosting safe since 2013

For making it seal tighter, nope....for making things "Slip better"....YOU KNOW IT!!!

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Not even gonna continue this don't wanna get banned lol

So much boost it broke my hand

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Are you running the bottom clamp closer to the edge of the coupler or higher like I have mine? I've tried both locations but it didn't really seem to make a difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts