F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sent in a sample from oil change number 2. Pushed it out to 23% showing on the life-o-meter and am quite curious since this one went just over 5000 mile mostly in town short tripping. Did make two Iowa runs in the mix. Will post results when they come in along with review of service from Blackstone Labs.

BTW, the test kit is sent free by request. You send a check or provide a CC number when you send in the sample. $25 for basic test, add 10 bucks for remaining additive analysis. I went full boat.

Blackstone Labs

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did my last two trucks at 100,000 miles but had no baseline. This analysis is to help me (us) determine a comparison relative to the oil life indicator. Will do again at 50K and 100K as with the last two it was quite reassuring to see the engine condition based on metal content and types of metal and chemicals (Like fuel and glycol) in the samples.

My 460 was prone to detonation so there was concern for head gasket and excessive rod bearing wear but the analysis didn't indicate anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I like having scientific measurable metrics to assess internal engine health. Some would rather know than than not know what is occurring internally. Early indicators of many common failure issues can be detected early on with UOA.

From what I've found on other gasoline vehicles doing UOA is that different oils seem to work better in certain engines better than others. Our '07 Denali had more harsh wear and oil usage with Mobile 1 and Valvoline synthetic blend. Plain old Castrol GTX tested the best. Not my brand of choice, but hard to argue against scientific results.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just sent in a sample from oil change number 2. Pushed it out to 23% showing on the life-o-meter and am quite curious since this one went just over 5000 mile mostly in town short tripping. Did make two Iowa runs in the mix. Will post results when they come in along with review of service from Blackstone Labs.

BTW, the test kit is sent free by request. You send a check or provide a CC number when you send in the sample. $25 for basic test, add 10 bucks for remaining additive analysis. I went full boat.

Blackstone Labs
Will be interesting to see if there is raw fuel present in your sample. There's considerable discussion around right now with Ford's implementation of direct injection for consumer unknown reasons fuel being found in oil samples.

Just got back the results from our Edge 2.0 EB and it had a trace of fuel present, it was enough for Blackstone to question if the viscosity of the oil was in fact 5w-30, as it measured close to 5w-20 properties.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oil Analysis

Attached is my UOA of a few months ago. I'd had the computer set the OCI based on 100%. It was a bit discouraging. The iron was a little high, the viscosity dropped and some fuel was detected. None of that is really bad but having the TBN drop out of sight was discouraging. This was using Halvoline, not the worst stuff on the market. I think their TBN starts out at >8. Certainly nothing was destroyed or damaged but I lost a little faith in Ford's algorithm methodology. On my other cars using the computer method I'd never had a problem. I have since set the OCI to 80% of the computer recommendation.

If I'd never done an oil analysis I'd have been ignorant.

There is a pretty good post on BOB IS THE OIL GUY on this as other UOA's on the ECOBOOST have been similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
does anyone have an idea what the best oil is to use for longevity and protection?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Attached is my UOA of a few months ago. I'd had the computer set the OCI based on 100%. It was a bit discouraging. The iron was a little high, the viscosity dropped and some fuel was detected. None of that is really bad but having the TBN drop out of sight was discouraging. This was using Halvoline, not the worst stuff on the market. I think their TBN starts out at >8. Certainly nothing was destroyed or damaged but I lost a little faith in Ford's algorithm methodology. On my other cars using the computer method I'd never had a problem. I have since set the OCI to 80% of the computer recommendation.

If I'd never done an oil analysis I'd have been ignorant.

There is a pretty good post on BOB IS THE OIL GUY on this as other UOA's on the ECOBOOST have been similar.
Thanks for posting your results. I only have 800 miles on my EB currently thus will be a while before I get a sample sent off.

I wouldn't write off Ford oil life algorithm, but might go down the route of using another oil brand or two as a comparison comparison to see if its truly the algorithm or the particular oil.

I figure the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30 would be a good baseline of which to judge the performance or lack there of from other oils.

You'll get a considerable amount of opinions on oils. Only a few people will provide scientific analysis that support the opinion.

·
Registered
523 Posts
does anyone have an idea what the best oil is to use for longevity and protection?

A logical place to start might be the OEM recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30. Use the result from this oil as a baseline of which to judge other oils.

You'll get a considerable amount of opinions on oils. I would be more swayed by those that can present scientific measurement as validation of results more so that opinion alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've not seen any SN rated oil that does not meet Ford's WSS-M2C930-A spec or their 945 spec and generally all will work fine within Ford's recommended OCI and provide the desired protection. Don't buy anything less than SN rating, such as SM, SL, etc.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting your results. I only have 800 miles on my EB currently thus will be a while before I get a sample sent off.

I wouldn't write off Ford oil life algorithm, but might go down the route of using another oil brand or two as a comparison comparison to see if its truly the algorithm or the particular oil.

I figure the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30 would be a good baseline of which to judge the performance or lack there of from other oils.

You'll get a considerable amount of opinions on oils. Only a few people will provide scientific analysis that support the opinion.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is what I use and what was analyzed. Now, keep in mind this oil was short tripped to death and then went on a 600 mile road trip just before changing. I'm sure that was part of the reason for the high silicon levels and the trip got things heated up resulting in no water. I think the filter was clogged or ready to clog at the time of the change. Oil life indicator showed 23% life. Filter was a Motorcraft FL500S.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for sharing the results

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Here's my oil analysis.
I highlighted the interval they recommended for the Royal Purple oil as that's got me feeling pretty good about things.
View attachment 7158

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Bleh, Amsoil or Kendall.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts