F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the oil in my 2013 F150 ecoboost and now I’m smelling oil inside the cab. I have no leaks and everything is tight. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I didn’t know if it might have anything to do with the stubborn skid plate (maybe oil got onto it and the exhaust is burning it off?). Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd give it a day or two - check oil levels to make sure it isn't leaking. I bet some got on the exhaust or another hot spot somewhere and it just needs to burn off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the oil about 2-3 weeks ago. Oil pressure is good. Oil level is spot on. It’s not leaving and spots in the driveway. I’ve crawled all over it looking and haven’t seen anything. The only thing I haven’t done is remove the skid plate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always remove the skid plate. I see no way to change the oil and not get some on top of it. It's just 4 bolts.

Also need to get some paper towels and mop out the tray that redirects the oil filter drain path. That thing is a mess.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I always remove the skid plate. I see no way to change the oil and not get some on top of it. It's just 4 bolts.

Also need to get some paper towels and mop out the tray that redirects the oil filter drain path. That thing is a mess.
my truck is a 2011, and i hate that damn oil filter tray - half the time oil doesn't even come down that damn tray until the filter is mostly off, and by that point it's coming out 2-3 other holes elsewhere...LOL I always uses rags and brake cleaner to clean that area after changing the oil.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Sure you didn't get it on your hands and transfer to your steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
To manage the tray, what I do is jack up the front of the truck for oil changes. Once the tray get's oil on it, it will always flow toward the back of the tray out the hidden opening. Definitely have to clean that thing before buttoning everything up. Stupid of Ford to make a drip tray with two pour holes on it. They could have angled the tray when it was molded so that there's always just ONE exit.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently changed the oil in my 2013 F150 ecoboost and now I’m smelling oil inside the cab. I have no leaks and everything is tight. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I didn’t know if it might have anything to do with the stubborn skid plate (maybe oil got onto it and the exhaust is burning it off?). Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
I have the same problem and still haven't figured it out, two years later.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
I came across this same complaint on a Facebook post a few minutes ago, and several folks responded that there is a seal in the vacuum pump that goes bad and allows vapors from under the hood to enter the cabin.

Here's a snapshot and a specific reply highlighted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came across this same complaint on a Facebook post a few minutes ago, and several folks responded that there is a seal in the vacuum pump that goes bad and allows vapors from under the hood to enter the cabin.

Here's a snapshot and a specific reply highlighted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much. This thing has been bugging me for a long time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just had to have both valve cover gaskets replaced last week. Oil was running down on the exhaust and the hot oil odor was getting sucked in through the fresh air inlet to the cabin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts