• Leave it stock!

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone else recommends or has run in the past. Pros/Cons on running an Oiled Air Filter vs Dry Air Filter?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I don't see any advantage to a dry filter. The science clearly shows that oiled filters capture more contaminants. The only problem with oiled filters is many people tend to over oil which can lead to sensor fouling among other things. Properly oiled there is nothing better IMHO!

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have K&N in everything except my new 150 but that's because I'll change the original when it gets dirty. Replacement will be a K&N, though. Word of caution, though, take care not to over oil. It doesn't take much to do the job and too much will oil foul the MAF sensor!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just got the aFe intake for my eb and install it today I went with the dry filters. I have always used oil filters before but since the performance difference in the flow was minimal I just wanted something easier to maintain. I don't mind oiling the filters and letting them dry overnight it's not like it's that much more work. I just figured it's one less thing to worry about after I clean these all I have to do is let them dry and stick them back on. I would have gone with the oil filters makes no difference to me honestly tho. All the problems you here about are 90% human error with over oiling, at least in my experience it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed an AFE 1 and specified dry. I agree that oiled is better and in the past I that's what I've used but what I've found is that if your truck is still under warranty and you take it in for an issue that could be related to air intake the first thing they will blame is the oiled filter, saying that the oil would / could foul the sensor. So what your left with is; take the setup off to get warranty work or leave it and get nothing.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't know anymore. In days of old when K/N ruled the aftermarket air filter market proving the increased air flow by the little displays almost every auto parts out let had on the counter, I lead to be a believer. However, dry paper filters have come along way since then in design and function of filtering crap out of the air sucked in and freely allowing air to flow through to the engine.

I have always in the past been an oil filter guy, but in the last number of years I have left things OEM when it comes to the air filter.

Up side to the oil filter is that you buy one filter, clean it as needed and reuse. Where on the paper filter you do have to pay each and every time you replace the filter. And air filters are no longer inexpensive to purchase. It has been well proven that over oiling a K/N style filter is a bad thing. Just as cleaning it too often can be a bad thing, a little trapped dirt on an oil filter is a good thing.

So good or bad, it's your call, so as you will. Heck, now that I think of it, I just purchased and installed an oil filter in my 1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Limited Edition a few weeks back because the price of a new paper filter kind of scared me.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
From a retailers point of view: Its about 50/50 anymore. The dealerships have the end user so worried about over oiling a filter that alot of guys go with the dry filters. I went with the AFE Stage 2 intake (Oiled Pro 5R), but we sell alot of the Pro Dry filters as well. The picture below is AFE's filter options.

Yellow = Pro Gaurd 7 (Great for Desert or really dirty conditions, but they dont make it for Ecoboost Stage 2 Yet)
Grey = Pro Dry S
Blue = Pro 5R

We also did a little write up on the filter options on our blog, aFe Air Filter options for aFe Cold Air Intakes

2010-2013 F-150 RAPTOR 6.2L AFE STAGE 2 COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM - PRO GAURD 7 DRY Filter AFE-54-1.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased purchase a new 2012 F150 changed to new K&N oil filter and started to have problems with highway cruising. When I would hard excel my truck engine would vibrate, lose power and check engine light would come on. When city driving noticed vibration between shifts under low loading. Change back to orginal filter that came with truck and problem subsided. Did K&N over oil the filter? Not sure what is going on. I have been using oil filter in all my vehicle for years with no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What you were experiencing was more than likely the issue with the intercooler. I had that same problem this spring with the vibration, back firing and loss of power. It turned out to be a problem with the intercooler. the dealer replace the intercooler and catalytic. No probs since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry to bumb an old thread but I just got my truck 2 weeks ago and I love it!

I'm aware of the intercooler water condensing issue with the EcoBoost and even if I have a lastest one, I don't want to take any chance so... here my question:

Which dry or oïl filter would mostly prevent humid air to get throught ?

I would see an oiled filter will let more humid air flip thru because water slip and doesn't stick to oïl fabric right ?

I'm not concerned about dirt filtering issue for now as the truck only do city/suburnan/highway driving, 95% unloaded; RVing ~10 times per summer.

I plan to get the AFE Stage 1 Dry S kit #54-12111 for the simplicity of installation, maintenance and reversal (just in case!)

So any idea on this kit too ? I see the Pro Dry S is made up of two layers of randomly woven only as described in the article below...

This doesn't sound a lot compared to 5 and 7 layers of oiled filters but would a 2 layer dry would block more intense charged humid water vs a 5 layer oiled filter ?

Maybe a Dry filter + a pre-charger wrap under heavy rain would be the best combo to prevent humid air condensing in the IC ?

And you run without the pre-charger wrap for more HP and more turbo spooling sound :D

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry to bumb an old thread but I just got my truck 2 weeks ago and I love it!

I'm aware of the intercooler water condensing issue with the EcoBoost and even if I have a lastest one, I don't want to take any chance so... here my question:

Which dry or oïl filter would mostly prevent humid air to get throught ?

I would see an oiled filter will let more humid air flip thru because water slip and doesn't stick to oïl fabric right ?

I'm not concerned about dirt filtering issue for now as the truck only do city/suburnan/highway driving, 95% unloaded; RVing ~10 times per summer.

I plan to get the AFE Stage 1 Dry S kit #54-12111 for the simplicity of installation, maintenance and reversal (just in case!)

So any idea on this kit too ? I see the Pro Dry S is made up of two layers of randomly woven only as described in the article below...

This doesn't sound a lot compared to 5 and 7 layers of oiled filters but would a 2 layer dry would block more intense charged humid water vs a 5 layer oiled filter ?

Maybe a Dry filter + a pre-charger wrap under heavy rain would be the best combo to prevent humid air condensing in the IC ?

And you run without the pre-charger wrap for more HP and more turbo spooling sound :D
The filter won't prevent humidity in the charge air from passing through...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
19 Posts
My question is not exactly that.. I want to know which of Dry or Oil air filter will prevent to most humidity get throught ?

I'm sure one or the other will act different, mostly think the oil will allow more... maybe I will get an oiled one with a pre-charger wrap for the rainny season and for towing in wet condition.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
My question is not exactly that.. I want to know which of Dry or Oil air filter will prevent to most humidity get throught ?

I'm sure one or the other will act different, mostly think the oil will allow more... maybe I will get an oiled one with a pre-charger wrap for the rainny season and for towing in wet condition.
I'm pretty sure water molecules are smaller than dirt, and will pass right through...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've been running a K&N filter for close to three weeks now. No issues. Had one on my ranger for a year and a half.... No issues. Just gotta be vigilant in reading and following instructions on cleaning and oiling...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've been running a K&N filter for close to three weeks now. No issues. Had one on my ranger for a year and a half.... No issues. Just gotta be vigilant in reading and following instructions on cleaning and oiling...
How do you like it? Any change in the sound? Had the K&N on my previous truck and the wife's rig had one.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
How do you like it? Any change in the sound? Had the K&N on my previous truck and the wife's rig had one.
I'd say there is little to no difference in sound. If there is it'd be a placebo. Lol

Performance wise I can't really tell a difference...

I bought it more as preventative maintenance for*my wallet as the oem filters get expensive.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the dry vs oiled filter debate is always a matter of preference as far as i have seen
a dry filter may not catch some of the finer dirt that an oiled filter will catch but with an oiled filter you have the chance of fouling a MAF sensor which our turbo systems use Map sensors instead but an oily residue will still effect the reading at some point.
i have not heard any bad about either which makes it a preference thing again.

as far as either having any effect on condensation NO they will not influence that at all the humidity in the air will only be drawn out after the temp change occurs within the CAC
it all takes place internally when the temp is dropped over the alum coil that was compressed by the turbos.

think of it just like an air compressor in you shop to fill tires, the more you run it and heat it up the more water is goin to condense in the bottom of the tank and need drained
unfortunately we dont have any type of drain on the factory composite reservoirs of our CAC, thats one of the advantages of the aftermarket versions they provide an all alum construction with a drop tube to catch condensed water and allow it to be drained instead of building up and getting drawn out from the rush of intake charge when you stomp on it some day trying to blow the doors off the neighbor kids ricer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
16 Participants
brian351w
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing