F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know why, but I am looking at a travel trailer and have a few questions. My truck is a 2013 FX4 but does not have the Max-Tow Pkg. I do have the 3:73 gears and have installed Air-Lift 2K rear air bags.

The trailer I am looking at is a 30' conventional travel trailer dry weight 6,850 with a GVWR of 9250. Empty hitch weight of 644 pounds. Exterior height is 11'6" including the roof a/c unit. Plus I would add a second a/c unit to the trailer that may increase the height by an inch or two.

When we RV we don't travel with full tanks of anything with the exception of LP. We don't load up to the gills on personal products or food as the wife likes to experience dining in new places when we are out. Though we do occasionally do meals in the RV or grill out.

So, whats your thoughts. Will my FX4 handle everything with out any problems?

What have been your experiences, what would you change, what recommendations would you offer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Towing mirrors. You might to beef up your hitch. I think the max tow pkg has a heavier hitch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some strap on mirrors from an earlier life of RVing vehicle. I figured I would need to go with an equalizer hitch, so the current hitch rating is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I strongly recommend the ProPride hitch if you are willing to spend the coin, but the Andersen is a good option too. Your truck should do just fine especially since you have the 3.73s and have already beefed up the rear suspension.

SPPD

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tow a 8000 pound toy hauler with mine and it does a great job. EQ hitch for sure. I added Firestone air bags and that change made the ride much nicer with the 1100 pound tongue weight mine has. You should already have a class IV hitch on the truck so 600 pounds is a cake walk. I've pulled mine over several 12,000 ft passes in Colorado with no problems. It will hold 60 mph over Raton Pass both directions with no problems. The only thing I can recommend is to make sure you air up the rear tires to max while towing it. Helps with wear and swaying.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would either get a bigger truck or smaller trailer. Look at the payload sticker on door jamb. My FX4's payload is 1199#'s. I'm typing from my toy hauler now which only weighs 3300#'s dry. I weighed on the way to my camp, and I'm within 100 #'s of my max payload. Glad I didn't want to bring my Brother along this time he weighs more than 100#'s. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my eccoboost in april, in may I went on an 2 month trip pulling my 21' 5000lb loaded travel trailer. Over 5000 miles I averaged 11.5 miles to the gallon in all types of terrain, a few hundred miles of dirt, windy hilly country both good 50+ mph to bad 15-25 windy dirt. Between Las Vegas area of Nevada thru Idaho Oregon Washington then on to Wyoming Utah and Colorado I did not find a hill I could not pull on cruise control. I have the 355 gears. While on this adventure I met a fellow from California driving a 2012 2 wheel drive ( yea special ordered ) max tow package 373 gears pulling a 32' 5th wheeler. He too got about 11mpg and had the same experience as I concerning pulling power. The exception was he stayed on freeways. I met one other young man with 2013 4x4 302 pulling a trailer similar in size to my 21'. I met him in Park City Utah, he was from Seattle, when discussing towing he said he loved his truck however He did not use cruise over snoqualime pass as I had done and that his engine was revving high during the ascent. He too had 373 gears. My mind tells me if I want to pull a large trailer use a large truck, big gas or diesel. For my size trailer my truck is perfect, the best truck of my life, I bought my first one in 1970, a 1965 f100. I have also experienced 21mpg+ without the trailer.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I roll a 2wd MaxTow pulling my 36' bumper pull that comes in just under 9k camp ready. The only issues I have had involve x-winds in excess of 25mph. Even then it never felt unsafe just a little squirrelly in the high x-winds.

SPPD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts