F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a 2013 f150 fx4 ecoboost that already had 300 miles on it... The first time I filled it up I used 93 octane and was just wondering if that is ok to do within the break in period and how many miles does the break in period consist of? Also what kind of leveling kit is the best to use for leveling out the front with the back and where can you get it? Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use what ever fuel like it doesn't matter. I have owned mine now for 3yrs and I found the fuel economy improved after 5000km. Went from 16.5l per 100k city down to 13.2l per 100k and hwy I've been as low as 9.3l per 100k. I also have done oil changes every 5000km and used full synthetic oil from day 1. I love my truck and what it can do.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think you will be more satisfied if you always use premium fuel, not just now. My truck got better mileage after about 6K miles, but it was never bad to start with.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Premium fuel won't make a difference for break in. I've been using premium in my truck since it had 200km on it. However if you are going to use it, keep using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well I guess that's more of a personal preference than anything. You can switch back and forth and your PCM will compensate between the the different octane levels and will work fine. In my opinion though its just smarter to let your PCM learn one octane so it somewhat runs the same all the time rather than always having to adjust. There's lot of speculation with the topic of switching back and forth. And honestly I can't really answer if switching between the 2 every now and again is a good idea or not.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Premium will result in less timing pulled due to spark knock as anyone that has done a tune and logged the operation can attest to. So by all means use 91-93. It can operate on 87, but power and economy will suffer some. This is a direct injection FI engine, not a port injection NA engine that it would be a waste to use a higher octane.

Break in you have already past most of the critical ring seating window, but do several full throttle accelerations and deceleration's (safely of course) so you can try to still achieve some ring to cylinder wall seating yet. To baby it is a good way to end up with poor ring seal and oil consumption issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome , thank you for the info! Also do you know when the break in period is over? Like around what mileage does the break in period end? And with the first oil change I was told to get it done at 4,000, is this right?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Awesome , thank you for the info! Also do you know when the break in period is over? Like around what mileage does the break in period end? And with the first oil change I was told to get it done at 4,000, is this right?
Pretty sure mine was done before I sat in the salesman's office. B)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ford states that you do not have to do your first oil change till 8,000km (Canadian here lol). However that's just ridiculous in my opinion. I'd say do it no more than 5,000km, if the truck has been sitting on the lot for a while I'd do it even sooner. Ill be doing mine every 5,000km or every 6 months. I highly recommend using synthetic as well.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts

After 400-500 miles there is really no break in left to do The ring and pinion (the only other drivetrain related components) have meshed well and had several heat cylcles, and by 400-500 miles the rings either seated properly or didn't. After that your not going to see any more as the hard glaze has set in and that short window has passed. remember, the owners manual is not written by engineers with the best in mind for the engine, but legal, etc. for all sorts of reasons besides this.

This is a good illustration to show what happens for those not building, rebuilding engines or not dealing with the issues of this today on the ones babied for the first 1000-1500 miles. Break them in like scap99 and see how well your rings seat. He did it correctly I believe.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Break them in like scap99 and see how well your rings seat. He did it correctly I believe.
You mean stomp on it and drive it like you stole it, right off the lot?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The salesman wouldn't even get in with me. Neither would the wife.

Luckily my brother lives a few miles away and he was up for some fun. Ended up having too much fun, and I decided to buy it.

Probably should have asked for a another one - I knew this one had a few rattles. But I knew this one was "torture tested approved".

I don't know if it's gotten quieter ... or if I'm losing my hearing and I keep turning the stereo louder.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The salesman wouldn't even get in with me. Neither would the wife.

Luckily my brother lives a few miles away and he was up for some fun. Ended up having too much fun, and I decided to buy it.

Probably should have asked for a another one - I knew this one had a few rattles. But I knew this one was "torture tested approved".

I don't know if it's gotten quieter ... or if I'm losing my hearing and I keep turning the stereo louder.
What?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts