F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
Acquired a new ordered F150 last Aug. Text Font
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

Not much of mine stays as bought so this is just a starting point. First off needed a way to haul a canoe.
Vantech P3000 Black racks, Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Pickup truck Ford motor company
A place to put gear, produced a Decked storage unit, Automotive exterior Transport Vehicle Bumper Auto part

Time for some appearance and performance, a Pypes 4 inch catback (I do like the sound of turbo V6, a throwback to my road race interests), and set of KMC XD 300 (I want to stay with 70 or 65 series tires near stock height).
Land vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
I want to keep the flash down so the polished tailpipe did not go on. Also installed LED headlamps, Supernova V3 bulbs, better pattern than stock incandescent, whiter cast with much better reflectivity.

Next additions/changes, SCT GTX tunner and color matched headlight surround, maybe bumpers also. Farther future possibilities involve tires and suspension (it will see lots of gravel roads in the northern central/midwest), and some audio stuff. KM

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have lowering shackles for the rear leaf spring that should get it closer to level. Been looking into coilover fronts with matching rated rear shocks. Want to stay close to stock ride height. When the OEM tires get worn will see whats available in 265-65-17. Of course a sticky set of drag street radials may be in order, that idea takes me back to 1970's last time I drove at a drag track. KM

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just put on painted headlight surrounding trim. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Pickup truck
KM

Reactions: bespurcell
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Other than working with BCB for a BD GTX tune, not much done. Except aquiering a set of factory flares, take offs, and installing them. Went with black and I like the effect. KM
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Looks great man! You'll love the the BCB tune i love mine from them for the 2.7 (albeit a 18)

Nice truck. Did you pay that sticker price? That is exactly why I bought my Tremor. I wanted a work truck with 5.0 and they would budge off of 30ish, i only paid a little more for the Tremor.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
BigPhatPaulie Yes the BCB performance tune (2nd version update, 93 octane) does exactly what I wanted. Have not gone to the strip yet but will, current 0-60 time hovers around 5 seconds, 6 speed shifts solidly and positive, very responsive to throttle, little noticed MPG hit, but can be scary in wet conditions. Most driving will be done with the Highlander tune, particularly long road trips, due to computer octane adjustment.

WooBoost Paid several thousand below invoice after all incentives figured in, $27 grand range, but it is a fairly base XL whith my personal add-ons. More to be done.

KM

Reactions: BigPhatPaulie
Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finally the first suspension upgrade. BCB installed an Icon Stage 1, 2.5 front strut assembly back 2.0 shocks. Tremendous improvement over stock. Took out all vagueness in steering/transitions/road bumps. Little if any added harshness to ride, does not feel stiffer but much more responsive and in control. Backed of the height adjustments to a bit short of the lowest position for a front lift 1 3/4 inches measured after a 60 mile drive. Kelly at BCB has Fox 2.0's on his F150, considers the Icon's as better ride and handling than his current setup after a short drive. Expensive yes but well worth the cost!
Suspension part Coil spring Auto part Shock absorber Suspension
Auto part Tire Pipe Suspension part Suspension
Suspension part Auto part Coil spring Suspension Tire

Before, stock attitude, Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

After, Icon Stage 1, Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
KM

Money well spent in my book.
Sitting in the pilot seat is so much more connected, right?

Nice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Money well spent in my book.
Sitting in the pilot seat is so much more connected, right?

Nice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Right is not strong enough. Hadn't considered that this much improvement could be had with 245-70-17 factory tires on a truck! I like a firm suspension with crisp handling, the Icon's provide this in large bunches. Thanks! KM

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Put on new tires, Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, 265-70-17. Good impovement so far will see with snow on the way.
Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Tread Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Also spent some quality time with FORScan to calibrate the speedo and re-enable the TPMS display and warning functions. KM

Discussion starter · #13 · (Edited)
Spring finally rolled in. First on the list was a set of steps to help my under 5 ft. wife get inside, she's not as spry as 40 years ago. Superhoops from CARR, Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior Automotive tire

A bunch of stereo gear, Technology Vehicle Audio equipment Auto part Electronic device
is almost complete and ready to go in. Did the first spark plug change. Damn heater hose and wire-loom over #3 took all the time of the rest. The old came out looking better than I expected Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Suspension part
Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part
Spark plug Automotive engine part Automotive ignition part Auto part Pen
no gap exceeded .29, replaced with colder NGK's gaped at .26. Also removed the louvers from the CAC to check on any temperature improvement.
Thing runs fine goes like stink! KM

Discussion starter · #15 ·
How are the terra grapplers in the snow? I have some Cooper ATP and they are loud on the road and kind of getting over it.
Not bad at all. Definitely better than the OEM Michelin's. Good braking and side grip, still need care in starts (too much torque, too quickly in RPM's). More stable, ride well (went with 115 p-metric size), quieter than the OEM. KM

Discussion starter · #16 · (Edited)
Before the audio gear installation.

After the audio gear was installed. Yup no noticed change, no indication of anything other than stock installation. Except the sound. The Morel speakers and Kicker Key amp set an accurate deep sound stage up on the dashboard, the Rockford Fosgate 300P-8 inch woofer covers the bottom and sounds much larger than 8 inch. Could be the small volume of the regular cab.
Add-a-circuit fuse taps in the fuse box supplied power, 2 20 amp circuts draw only 10 amps for the Kicker and 20 amps for the RF sub simplified wiring.
Added sound deadening to the door panels.
Mid installed in a silicon baffle and adapter, wired to OEM speaker wires. Made straps mounting the tweeters and ran new wires because I'm using the bi-amp mode with the Key amp, powering the mids and tweeters separately with active crossover. Used a pre wired FOR 11CK harness but it needed rewiring correcting a set of mixed speaker leads. Amp mounted to trans tunnel under the dash (no console), the Key programing ran fine setting crossover equalizing processing and timing the sound. Another glitch the sub was DOA and returned to Crutchfield. It was a scratch and dent item but covered by replacement warranty. Crutchfield delivered a new in box replacement in 2 days and I set the remaining crossovers between the Key amp and the RFsub. Sat in the seat and checked out some Spanish acoustic guitar playing. WOW! Big improvement across the board.

Next I have a CVF intercooler on order. KM

Discussion starter · #17 ·
How are the terra grapplers in the snow? I have some Cooper ATP and they are loud on the road and kind of getting over it.
Need to update. While not bad the G2's are a hard compound tread and as such can be not so good on cold pavement. Anywhere the pavement was lower than 30 degrees F they start getting noticeably worse. This past season decided to run winter compound tires. Selected on Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 in skinny 245-75-17.

These worked GREAT!!! KM

Discussion starter · #19 ·
CVF Titan inter-cooler in, moved the license plate, trimmed the air-dam up an inch while fiddling.

new cooler and my insulated cooler to throttle pipe.

old cooler and parts removed.

Front before plate and trim

after mods

Now to get the 3 season tire/wheels on. KM

Looks good. What's with the tin foil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts