F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, just picked up a brand new 2013 fx4. I also just joined this site and am pretty surprised about the ecoboost after browsing through all the problems I just read in this forum.

I am a V8 guy. I have an 04 f150 lariat myself with the 5.4. It ticks like a diesel and will blow up some day thanks to ford ingenious cam phaser design at the time, but after 300k, it's still alive and "ticking".

For the Wife, I figured I should stay away from the 5.0L or any V8 ford made to avoid this potential problem again, so after chatting with the sales rep at ford, I was steered to the ecoboost. Wow. I liked this engine....

I saw a few videos, read up on the engine and it sure seems tried tested and true. Plus it hauls like a bat out of hell.

Sad to read some of it's problems,

Hope to god none of the things that have happened to you guys don't happen to anyone else and that ford COVERS these problems, unlike the ticking v8's and the nicely built 6.0l ford diesels.

Good luck guys!

IMG_3894.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to about "all the problems." There has been one continuous issue with the EB motor, which was a humidity flaw in the CAC in the early 2011 and 2012 models.

Diesels tick when idling, just as your ecoboost will tick while idling.

Fords v8 motors are very well built and have been very reliable for many, many years.

I'm still not sure what you're referring to but the best way to judge a truck is to have your own experiences. Anybody can create an account claiming EB is a bust and blew up while driving 10 miles per hour, downhill, with no mods, and a professional driver.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
I think you will be extremely happy with the new truck. Tons of power. I had a couple of the 5.4Ls, and we have a couple guys here who have them too. I also blew up a couple 6.0s, but no problems with the eco at all.

Chris's 5.4L

Stage_3_Motorsports_2004_54L_F150_project_Truck18.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diesel Tick, isn't the ecoboost, she's new. I was refering to my older f150 with the 5.4l. It's a known problem for 03 to 08. It's a gas engine that sounds like a diesel due to the cam phaser's failing inside the engine.

Just reading through posts of peoples turbo's packing it in, wrist pins letting go, etc.

I know this won't happen to everyone's ecoboost. Just hope that for the people it does happen to, it's covered under a recall unlike the some of fords motors of the past.

I've had no issues with this truck, hopefully never will.

I never noticed any ticks from the ecoboost at idle or any rpm yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage3Motorsports thanks for the reassurance, yeah aside from it being a bit thirsty, we are happier than hell with the truck. It's smooth, safer than any rice mobile out here and moves quick. Compared to the older fords, huge difference. So far good job ford!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I think you'll love the truck. The vast majority of people here didn't encounter major issues but it's impossible to say that it can't happen. Mass production will get its revenge on someone.. We just all hope it's not us!

It it appears people have encountered severe failures but they never stick around long enough to tell the story.

What's the plan for the truck? Stock? Tow mule? Performance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya you're right, so far it's the wife's truck. Work m play. Not planning on towing or anything yet, maybe a camper in a few more years.

Gonna use it for some long distance trips in the very near future. 16 hours each way. Will post my mileage as that's were this engine shines.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was refering to my older f150 with the 5.4l. It's a known problem for 03 to 08.
The cam phaser problem is the 04-08 3 valve 5.4's.. The 03 was a 2valve

Only problem with the 2 valves were blowing spark plugs out of the heads, then ford came up with the 28 ft lbs on the plugs and fixed the problem

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No, he is correct. There have been a lot of people having a lot of different problems with their trucks.
Yes warranty does cover them and in most cases they are fixed for good. But the bottom line is if you follow this forum every day like I tend to there have been and continue to be a lot of problems with this truck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine has a tick that has gotten louder of the past few weeks. It'll go in end of the week and we shall see what the diagnosis is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hey! Who stole my truck? One thing you'll realize with newer vehicles, is because of the tolerances, emissions, electronics, etc., it's much harder to create bombproof vehicles/engines (AMC 4.0L, 5.9 Cummins, etc.). Accordingly, you shouldn't expect to keep a vehicle out of warranty -- I drive out of warranty until I sense something going south and immediately trade in. Luckily, if you don't drive an insane amount of miles (I don't), the Ford Extended service warranty can be had to cover you out to 7 years and 60k miles for about $1,300 or 75k miles for $1,800. Get it right before your factory expires and rest easy.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
As far as I've seen and heard the only constant when it comes to any issues with this motor in our trucks is the intercooler issue and idiots tuning the crap out of them with no supporting mods.

My truck has ticked at idle since I brought it home with very low mileage. That's what you get with a direct injection motor. It's the sound of the injectors rapidly opening and closing.

I don't know where you're reading all these failure threads at but the tried and true members on this forum seem to have NO PROBLEMS with their trucks. Change the oil and drive it like you stole it and you should have no problems....

Oh, by the way nice truck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm just taking it in for the tick because it just started not long ago and I want it documented.

·
Registered
873 Posts
As far as I've seen and heard the only constant when it comes to any issues with this motor in our trucks is the intercooler issue and idiots tuning the crap out of them with no supporting mods. My truck has ticked at idle since I brought it home with very low mileage. That's what you get with a direct injection motor. It's the sound of the injectors rapidly opening and closing. I don't know where you're reading all these failure threads at but the tried and true members on this forum seem to have NO PROBLEMS with their trucks. Change the oil and drive it like you stole it and you should have no problems.... Oh, by the way nice truck and welcome to the forum!
I've had several issues most all validated with other users on here as well. Clunking with the tranny between gears, revving high at startup, drivetrain clunk due to slack, lumbar support failing at 6k miles, energy saver mode, gas in the oil, incorrectly gapped spark plugs, etc

There are problems that are documented by "tried and true" members like myself. If you think your truck has an issue follow some of the repairs listed on this site and others or get it documented and looked at by ford.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
As far as I've seen and heard the only constant when it comes to any issues with this motor in our trucks is the intercooler issue and idiots tuning the crap out of them with no supporting mods.!
Umm what supporting mods u referring too?

Mine is tuned with stock cac ... 10k miles no problems. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
On any mass production item there are going to be owners with issues. There are thousands of parts, components and assemblies that come together to make these great machines we get to drive. Likely one of the most complicated pieces of machinery a person will ever buy. Most of the time owners that are having a great experience don't come in start threads and post at nauseum unlike owners that experience issues.

So its expected when coming to a message forum that you will see posts with owners experiencing issues. Most of us attempt openly discuss these issues in an attempt to educate ourselves of the symptoms and diagnosis so that we can help each other.

You just bought your truck, your chance for evaluating your purchase has sailed. Your now an owner. Congratulations!

Now sit back, put the key in the ignition and go enjoy your truck. Don't worry about any issues. Worrying won't change anything.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Umm what supporting mods u referring too?

Mine is tuned with stock cac ... 10k miles no problems. .

There are people who have had issues with a tuner in a stock truck. Maybe they just got junk tunes but I will feel more comfortable with tuning after I get rid of the junk factory intercooler and losing the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hey now, lets not turn this into a pissing match.

As others have said the condensation fault and clunk from slack in the u-joints seems to be the most prevalent issues with our trucks, but you're going to see much more issue threads than the "I love my truck" threads. This is mainly due to the fact that people usually only start looking for answers when an issue arises.

If you're planning on modding, remember to go about it the right way, and install the appropriate safety mods before trying to boost the power levels.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Full exhaust and tuned here no problems. I think that cac issue is hit r miss. The weather has to be just right for it to happen..

I went to TX last week rain the whole trip there. Drive 250 miles doing 70 and no cac trouble.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts