F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a '13 F150 EB SC 4x4 w/ MAX Tow pkg:
The only I like has the 20" crome wheels with med profile tires. I want to ask them to swap them with a set of 18" alloy.
Not only for when it comes to replacing the sneakers at half the price but I really wondering if there is a diff in the ride and strength during towing and daily driving?
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have 18" rims (came w/ max tow pkg) and the ride is smooth whether pulling 11k plus or hauling 2k in the bed... Reason I like 18" is the balance between on and off road abilities (which I need for where I drive)... 20" are sharp looking no doubt n tend to do better on road lol. But like you wrote price to replace or upgrade is cheaper (which after my OE tires wore down I did).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AK-KB, thanks for your input. I am going to call today and see if they can swap. The 20" are a medium profile so I am not so sure the road driving would be that much better. Was more concerned how that would effect towing. I am hoping that the 18" with "standard" profile tires will be the same or similar as the 20" with a med profile to the truck. Not sure if they would need to re-program the OBC. Will let you all know. Thks again, CL

·
Registered
589 Posts
18" should have a higher payload rating typically do. I know on the Superduty to get a camper package you can only have 18" not the 20". ON the F-150s 17-18" are the same for paylod package. I also went with E-Rated tires on my 18" rims cost less to put on and exceed what my truck called for on payload. I think you will be happier with the 18" rim for what you are looking to do. They might need to recalibrate the speedo but might not if the overall tire size remains the same. That is a good question to ask and somehting they can do when they swap the tires for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are all over it. I spoke with them yesterday and they are going to swap the 20's for 18's for me. Since that is a $1K option, they offered to put in a bed liner and extend the $500 rebate that expired on 2/4/13. Close to breaking even. I might ask for mud flaps also. They also said they would recalibrate the speedo. I am wondering if there is anything with the calibration on the tranny, rear, etc. :confused: I am also going to talk to my tire store today and see if I can work a deal with them and pull the sneakers right away and trade for a 6-8 ply side wall. I am not sure what e series specifically means I just know the higher the letter the more payload and the tires that come on them are usually LT/basically passenger tires usually 4 ply sidewall 2 steel and 2 poly kinda thing. I let the trech stuff to the tire store guys.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's good news about the dealership taking care of the swap for you and making t worth while. When they reset/recal the speedo the ECU should get the data of tire size difference and will ensure tranny knows what to do. Your right about the E-rating on payload and typically means more thicker ply to the tire (although brands also increase the amount of ply a tire has based on its intent aka off-road ties will have materials and ply in key location to attempt to make them bullet proof). Keep us posted on what tire you end up with and how you like them!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 20" wheels came on my 2013 FX4 with the tow max package and ride nice. I have hooked up my trailer with 800 lbs tongue weight and the tires looked good but I haven't towed the trailer down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
superdutylee
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing