F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been scouring the forums looking for the proper forum to start searching for help but the biggest problem there aren't many performance forums for Navigators.

TLDR; Skip to the bottom for current situation.

So I'm going to try here because of the upgrades I've done to it other places I've tried to get some form of assistance has lead people to telling me to go to forums for the aftermarket parts which is both helpful and not. So I'm going to post all my upgrades followed by the ongoing problems I'm having I really hope someone can either provide some insight or if anyone has another Navigator forum they can recommend I'm happy to take my problem elsewhere.

2016 Navigator L Select
3.5L Ecoboost TT

My upgrades:

2013-2016 F-150, 2015-2017 Expedition/Navigator 3.5L EB Garrett Powermax Turbocharger Upgrade (Left & Right Side) 881027-5002S 881028-5002S
2013+ F150 & Raptor EB Turbosmart Vee Port EM Plug-and-Play BOV TS-0225-1001
Mishimoto 15-16 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 3.5L Black Performance
Intercooler Kit w/ Black Pipes
Mishimoto Universal 25-Row Oil Cooler, Black
Airaid Intake System (Cold Air Dam System with Black Intake Tube) | Lincoln Navigator 3.5L EcoBoost (2015-2017) - 2016 Lincoln Navigator 3.5L EcoBoost / SynthaFlow (Oiled Filter)
Stainless Works 15-18 F-150 3.5L Downpipe 3in Cats Y-Pipe Factory Connection

Now my issue is always based on the right turbo, so much so that I've replaced the right turbo twice I'm currently on my 3rd turbo and I'm really just tired of not having enough insight to resolve this issue.

Let me take you back to the first turbo issue. When both turbos were replaced I was using everything stock and I took my Navigator to a tuning shop and when it was on the Dyno they said there wasn't a turbo leak but they couldn't get over 12 psi from the turbo setup and they determined there was an issue with the right turbo somewhere. I replaced the right turbo with a stock turbo took it back to the tuning shop and the same issue was still present.

At that point I decided to just upgrade both turbos to Garrett and decided to upgrade the intercooler and blow off valve and Air intake at the same time. Once it was all completed the mechanic was driving it down the road and something happened in the right turbo and it blew up the shaft and turbine. You could hear the turbine bouncing off the casing walls and it looked like a fogger driving down the road.

Garrett warranty is basically a joke it's a 4-6 month replacement window to this day I'm still waiting for them to warranty the turbo out. I bought a replacement turbo and started attempting to figure out what might have caused the issue.

Garrett Turbo #2

One of the issues we noticed and didn't like was the blow off valve didn't seem to behave properly. It sounded on multiple occasions like it was opening and closing multiple times. I contacted both 5startuning and TurboSmart explaining what I was experiencing and both said there was no issue with the blow off valve.

My mechanic still felt it was a pressure related issue. We completely disassembled all hoses, replaced all gaskets and fittings on the oil feed lines and turbo gaskets and manifold gaskets. We put it back together and it sounded strong again. I drove it for about 2-3 weeks testing it out and everything seemed great. Once again back to the tuning shop and while it was on the Dyno it blew the right turbo again same exact issue shaft and turbine bouncing off the casing walls of the turbo.

Garett Turbo #3

Complete tear down and this time to resolve any additional back pressure issues. We ran a 4 foot straight pipe from the cats. No resonator or muffler, installed a back pressure gauge and a boost gauge hard wired. Same damn issue driving down the freeway probably around 3-4K RPM. We heard a loud pop and once again driving a smoke machine down the road.

Now some slightly different results this time. You can't hear the turbine bouncing off the casing walls. It actually sounds like it's running perfectly but oil is just pouring through the exhaust. I'm dumbfounded we're all dumbfounded over this issue. No one seems to have any ideas what could be causing this issue with only the right turbo.

This week we're going to tear it all apart. I purchased a catless y pipe so we're going to run it no cats or mufflers not reducing any pressure at all. I'm currently trying to decide if I should put a mechanical blow off valve and what else I may need to do.

Here is the game plan of parts, If anyone has any comments or suggestions on different things we should look into I would love to hear anything from anyone because to be honest I'm really tired of replacing $800 turbos,

Possibly replacing a turbo ( who knows )
Possibly replacing BOV with mechanical
Replacing Oil Feed lines, debating on going with billet braided hoses.
Replacing all gaskets on both turbos
Replacing fittings on both turbos

I know this has been an insanely long post but it has also been an insanely long problem that we just can't seem to resolve. If anyone has any insight please let me know. If anyone has a better forum they suggest I take this too let me know that as well.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,700 Posts
I agree you should be getting more than 12 PSI boost. My completely stock does 15 PSI.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
918 Posts
Hey All,

I've been scouring the forums looking for the proper forum to start searching for help but the biggest problem there aren't many performance forums for Navigators.

TLDR; Skip to the bottom for current situation.

So I'm going to try here because of the upgrades I've done to it other places I've tried to get some form of assistance has lead people to telling me to go to forums for the aftermarket parts which is both helpful and not. So I'm going to post all my upgrades followed by the ongoing problems I'm having I really hope someone can either provide some insight or if anyone has another Navigator forum they can recommend I'm happy to take my problem elsewhere.

2016 Navigator L Select
3.5L Ecoboost TT

My upgrades:

2013-2016 F-150, 2015-2017 Expedition/Navigator 3.5L EB Garrett Powermax Turbocharger Upgrade (Left & Right Side) 881027-5002S 881028-5002S
2013+ F150 & Raptor EB Turbosmart Vee Port EM Plug-and-Play BOV TS-0225-1001
Mishimoto 15-16 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 3.5L Black Performance
Intercooler Kit w/ Black Pipes
Mishimoto Universal 25-Row Oil Cooler, Black
Airaid Intake System (Cold Air Dam System with Black Intake Tube) | Lincoln Navigator 3.5L EcoBoost (2015-2017) - 2016 Lincoln Navigator 3.5L EcoBoost / SynthaFlow (Oiled Filter)
Stainless Works 15-18 F-150 3.5L Downpipe 3in Cats Y-Pipe Factory Connection

Now my issue is always based on the right turbo, so much so that I've replaced the right turbo twice I'm currently on my 3rd turbo and I'm really just tired of not having enough insight to resolve this issue.

Let me take you back to the first turbo issue. When both turbos were replaced I was using everything stock and I took my Navigator to a tuning shop and when it was on the Dyno they said there wasn't a turbo leak but they couldn't get over 12 psi from the turbo setup and they determined there was an issue with the right turbo somewhere. I replaced the right turbo with a stock turbo took it back to the tuning shop and the same issue was still present.

At that point I decided to just upgrade both turbos to Garrett and decided to upgrade the intercooler and blow off valve and Air intake at the same time. Once it was all completed the mechanic was driving it down the road and something happened in the right turbo and it blew up the shaft and turbine. You could hear the turbine bouncing off the casing walls and it looked like a fogger driving down the road.

Garrett warranty is basically a joke it's a 4-6 month replacement window to this day I'm still waiting for them to warranty the turbo out. I bought a replacement turbo and started attempting to figure out what might have caused the issue.

Garrett Turbo #2

One of the issues we noticed and didn't like was the blow off valve didn't seem to behave properly. It sounded on multiple occasions like it was opening and closing multiple times. I contacted both 5startuning and TurboSmart explaining what I was experiencing and both said there was no issue with the blow off valve.

My mechanic still felt it was a pressure related issue. We completely disassembled all hoses, replaced all gaskets and fittings on the oil feed lines and turbo gaskets and manifold gaskets. We put it back together and it sounded strong again. I drove it for about 2-3 weeks testing it out and everything seemed great. Once again back to the tuning shop and while it was on the Dyno it blew the right turbo again same exact issue shaft and turbine bouncing off the casing walls of the turbo.

Garett Turbo #3

Complete tear down and this time to resolve any additional back pressure issues. We ran a 4 foot straight pipe from the cats. No resonator or muffler, installed a back pressure gauge and a boost gauge hard wired. Same damn issue driving down the freeway probably around 3-4K RPM. We heard a loud pop and once again driving a smoke machine down the road.

Now some slightly different results this time. You can't hear the turbine bouncing off the casing walls. It actually sounds like it's running perfectly but oil is just pouring through the exhaust. I'm dumbfounded we're all dumbfounded over this issue. No one seems to have any ideas what could be causing this issue with only the right turbo.

This week we're going to tear it all apart. I purchased a catless y pipe so we're going to run it no cats or mufflers not reducing any pressure at all. I'm currently trying to decide if I should put a mechanical blow off valve and what else I may need to do.

Here is the game plan of parts, If anyone has any comments or suggestions on different things we should look into I would love to hear anything from anyone because to be honest I'm really tired of replacing $800 turbos,

Possibly replacing a turbo ( who knows )
Possibly replacing BOV with mechanical
Replacing Oil Feed lines, debating on going with billet braided hoses.
Replacing all gaskets on both turbos
Replacing fittings on both turbos

I know this has been an insanely long post but it has also been an insanely long problem that we just can't seem to resolve. If anyone has any insight please let me know. If anyone has a better forum they suggest I take this too let me know that as well.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help.
sounds like you might have a plugged oil feed or something. Idk honestly

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I believe there is a screen "filter" on the turbo lines that might have clogged up. I know this was an extremely common issue with the 2.5L EJ255 motor in the subaru Legacy GT's. They would plug up the screen and then starve the turbo of oil.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
888 Posts
I agree with the posts regarding the oil feed to the turbo.

If it were me, I would disconnect the oil drain from the turbo and start the motor, see if there is a solid flow. That would give you some immediate insight.

If oil flow is not good, pull the feed line and have a look at the screen. If the motor is decently clean, there is some speculation that they (the screens) are not needed. I do not have screens in mine. Again, do that at your own risk.

As for the BOV, I did not have decent luck with the VEEPORT electronic unit, as it would randomly release pressure as opposed to my mechanical, which does what it is supposed to. That was just me. Others have had good luck out of them.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
918 Posts
I agree with the posts regarding the oil feed to the turbo.

If it were me, I would disconnect the oil drain from the turbo and start the motor, see if there is a solid flow. That would give you some immediate insight.

If oil flow is not good, pull the feed line and have a look at the screen. If the motor is decently clean, there is some speculation that they (the screens) are not needed. I do not have screens in mine. Again, do that at your own risk.

As for the BOV, I did not have decent luck with the VEEPORT electronic unit, as it would randomly release pressure as opposed to my mechanical, which does what it is supposed to. That was just me. Others have had good luck out of them.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
See I’ve had the opposite with the supersonic versus the veeport. The supersonic would literally only blow off if the boost pressure was above like 9 psi. Otherwise it would majorly surge the back on the compressors. And if I revved the truck it would almost die. The Veeport acts more like the stock BOV, I admit it does vent if I let off just a little, but not a lot even if I had no intention of fully letting off, but then it catches itself and continues to hold if I get back in it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@jrs1974 where did you get the turbos from? Has the turbo reseller spoken to garrett engineering about the 3 consecutive right side turbo failures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One from 5Startuning and they told me they would work with Garrett but it will take a few months.

Second one from an online dealer who told me once I have it apart and can take pictures they are an authorized reseller and they would request a replacement from Garrett also likely to be a few month process.

it seems from most of the communication I’ve seen here everyone is pointing at the oil feed line. apparently there are screens/filters that could be choking on lack of oil under higher pressure points.

It’s apart now and we’re going to replace oil feed lines and all connectors. I’m not sure if this is the correct part but.

BL3Z-6L625-C

can anyone else confirm that this is their thought the oil feed line filter is potentially clogged at higher pressure is starving the turbo?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts