F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Friday fellow Boosters! My other toy is a 1961 VW Bug, and whenever I gas up, as the ol' girl only gets driven once every couple of weeks and HATES any ethanol in the tank (eats fuel lines, clogs carb, etc.) I add some Sta-Bil to the tank. It got me thinking that with the lack of driving that my truck is now seeing during quarantine (a once a week drive at best), would it be worth it to add Sta-Bil to my truck's gas as well? As it starts and runs with no issues currently, my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of thought is saying no, but I'd be interested in others thoughts on the subject.

Thanks, and I hope everyone's doing well!
-David

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you were storing for a long period say more than two months and not using ethanol blends then adding Something like Sta- bill would be a good idea. Keep your tanks topped to limit condensation from the air in the tank caused by fluctuations in temp. When you do drive them make sure they get up to operating temp for as long as possible to drive off condensation from the engine. Periodic short periods of operation are worse than letting them sit. It just creates more moisture in the exhaust pipes and crankcase. Moisture from the fuel burning and the influx of fresh humid air as parts cool and the interior air contracts.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts
Educate an old country boy.
How does 10% ethanol clog carburetors ?

·
Super Modistrator
2,051 Posts
The ethanol attracts water which corrodes specific parts, including seals, crud appears and blocks ports. It’s about that simple.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I haven’t started my 69 cougar since the last August Goodguys car show out her in California. Not uncommon for me that it sits for long periods of time.

I thought new vehicles were designed better with ethanol in mind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Along with what's been mentioned, it also likes to eat away at the rubber fuel lines, and doesn't waste much time starting the process. Thanks for the comments all, as I treat half empty as empty and keep the truck full these days, I'll forgo the Sta-Bil.

·
Super Modistrator
2,051 Posts
By the way it is my understanding that the rubber used in our trucks systems is designed to work well with 10% Ethanol.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
STABIL has a specific one for ethanol. I think project farm did a test on these.

ANyways, you still drive your truck and fuel is only 10%. The fuel system is built for modern ethonal standards. If it was going to sit month and months, then you want to use it. I would also fill up with non ethanol fuel at that time too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ford engineers are hopefully smarter than this ...
I sure like to think they tested all fuel delivery components with at least 10% ethanol. 0% is easy enough to find here, but more expensive. E10 87 is the norm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For your VW Bug- I used Stabil for years. It does what is it supposed to do. Engines start up after storage. I had some issues a few years back where it seemed to be clogging filters on small engines. The little inline filters were red or blue depending if I was using standard or marine grade Stabil. The filters plugged up and the engine would not run.

I switched to Starbrite Star Tron Concentrated. No filter problems since then. Make sure you buy the concentrated Star Tron Enzyme. Better $/gallon/oz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts