F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok "cool guys" with slick credit cards that did it all at once... good for you.

In the words of Randy Moss, I'll be doing my mods with "STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE." Which means they will trickle in over the next couple years most likely.

That being said, in what order did you do your mods? Do you wish you would have done a different order? I've modded several trucks and SUVs before and would typically start with suspension/wheels/tires, but this being my first forced induction engine, I may do things differently this time. Might go breathing/engine specific mods first this time to see what she'll do power wise and what mpg it's capable of before I put on the heavy rollers.

Just wanting some opinions.

Plans thus far, and not necessarily in this order, but thinking about this order:

CAI
DPs
Exhaust
Tune
Suspension
Wheels & Tires
(many miscellaneous things that I haven't decided on yet)

Ready? Go.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Well depends on your goals. CAI and exhaust are more appearance/sound mods. You won't get much in performance. DP will help as well but nothing will improve things like a tune.

Me, I'm going to do everything at once but I'm buying it over time so I don't go in any specific order. If you are going to install as you receive them I would go tune, suspension, tires and wheels, and at the end cai dp.

Check out the *Official* NASCAR thread!
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7010

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well depends on your goals. CAI and exhaust are more appearance/sound mods. You won't get much in performance. DP will help as well but nothing will improve things like a tune.

Me, I'm going to do everything at once but I'm buying it over time so I don't go in any specific order. If you are going to install as you receive them I would go tune, suspension, tires and wheels, and at the end cai dp.

Official Stage3 - LET - UPR Sponsored Fantasy Racing League
It was my thinking that the CAI, DP, and cat back would be first and then have my tunes made to include those items, thus maximizing them. Tuning is the one area where I admittedly lack knowledge, as I have never tuned anything before. Researching as much as possible to learn.

·
Registered
394 Posts
People put mods on credit cards?

Anyway, I picked up my exhaust, downpipe and intake yesterday. Hopefully be ordering my meth setup, tuner, tune and TB meth plate from LET next week. The next week I'll order my intercooler then I will install and tune it all at once. That way I get a better before/after feel. Then I'll move to a suspension lift, tires and stereo in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkp.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd do suspension, tune, wheels and tires, exhaust, DPs and then the intake stuff but skipping the CAI. Ford did a good job on the intake but the turbo hot and cold pipes could use some help and TB could be a bit bigger once the other pipes are flowing more.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
As raider said, CAI and catback exhausts are mostly "show" parts and not "go" parts. You'll see minimal, if any, gains.

All the tuning companies that I'm aware of will modify a custom tune for free once it's purchased.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It was my thinking that the CAI, DP, and cat back would be first and then have my tunes made to include those items, thus maximizing them. Tuning is the one area where I admittedly lack knowledge, as I have never tuned anything before. Researching as much as possible to learn.
Heck man, I'd save my money and just buy a tune. The fastest tune only guy on here is outrunning guys with meth and all the mods

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
As raider said, CAI and catback exhausts are mostly "show" parts and not "go" parts. You'll see minimal, if any, gains.

All the tuning companies that I'm aware of will modify a custom tune for free once it's purchased.
This right here. Most if not all tuners will revise your tune free of charge to reflect your new mods.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7010

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did the performance stuff first, the truck only has 1600 miles on it but my performance stuff is done. I'll do a leveling kit of some sort and bigger tires eventually.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Like they all said it depends on what you're after. However for best power gains:

Tune W/ 170* tstat and correct gap on your spark plugs and a catch can
I/C
Catless D/P if you don't have emissions
CAI
Catback
Wheel/tires/leveling kit.

If you wanna get real crazy a progressive methanol injection kit and a Walbro 455 pickup pump conversion to run E30+ blends.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I did level and tires then tune. That way the initial power loss from the tires is recouped and then some with the tune.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I did mine cash in hand, a little at a time.
Tuner/tune
Tint
T stat
Intercooler
Meth
Downpipes
Intake

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That, I did not know. I love forums.

FWIW, I am not after huge HP/TQ numbers. I drive very conservatively. The intake/exhaust/tune for me will be for chasing maximal mpg. I'll never be at the strip and I'll never be racing the hot girl in the BMW at the light.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The general idea with my order in the OP was to see what type of gains could be realized with each piece before tuning. i.e. add CAI to otherwise stock truck, what is the result under my driving conditions... then add DP... test for results... then add exhaust... retest for results... then tune, which according to everyone is the kicker.

Do you guys think that is a wasted idea? Honest opinions.

Seems like a lot of people might want to know what each piece does respectively adding one element at a time. Still undecided. Give me more feedback. I'm appreciative of opinions.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If I had to do it over?
Full synthetic
Door detents
Poly sub
Tint
Tonneau
Tuner
Catch can
CAC
Dps.
Cat back
Lift/level
Wheels/tires

In related news: I pay/paid for everything with credit and pay it off every month.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The general idea with my order in the OP was to see what type of gains could be realized with each piece before tuning. i.e. add CAI to otherwise stock truck, what is the result under my driving conditions... then add DP... test for results... then add exhaust... retest for results... then tune, which according to everyone is the kicker.

Seems like a lot of people might want to know what each piece does respectively adding one element at a time. Still undecided. Give me more feedback. I'm appreciative of opinions.
Unless you have deep pockets and lots of time to burn I'd say take the advice given and run with it. CAI and Catback gains are minimal at best, they truly are for aesthetics and noise. Like my AFE Stage 2 intake, honestly doesn't help a turbo car at all, but when you stomp the pedal it sounds like an F16 sucking air in by the cubic yard.

Best performance gains for money besides a tuner is the Intercooler and Downpipes. Cool the air and let it breath faster. The stock cat back system really has enough flow to sustain good power. I made the mistake of going 4", sounds good but doesn't offer enough back pressure with the catless downpipes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I had to do it over?
Full synthetic
Door detents
Poly sub
Tint
Tonneau
Tuner
Catch can
CAC
Dps.
Cat back
Lift/level
Wheels/tires

In related news: I pay/paid for everything with credit and pay it off every month.
Ahh a fine response indeed. And we'll count that as aforementioned "straight cash" as well. #TeamDebtFree

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

It's a great idea but you're missing one key variable. Most want to know what each mod makes compared to a baseline whether that be stock or tuned, but mostly stock. You'd have to remove each previous mod to isolate the new part. Plus, the conditions will be different. Let the companies do the testing. It's a very nice gesture but think about #1 for this. You will not notice any bolt-ons in your butt dyno(unless I'm fogetting something obvious) until tuned. Full synthetic and a catch can are key for longevity but won't do anything on a stock truck for performance. That's my opinion based on what I have read anyway. I guess you could gain an mpg using full synthetic 0w-30....
You won't feel the difference a cac makes but you will see it on a guage. Do you plan to keep this truck for a long time? Trade for new in a few years?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
About this Discussion
89 Replies
48 Participants
Nomad Rebrab
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing