F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody!

I registred to the forum last Aug 2013 and even asked some advises here but never got myself introduced so here I am.

My name is Laurent, I'm 38, living near Montreal and work in IT for Government of Canada. I acquired pretty good knowledge in cars & mecanic with years, I'm ressourceful, always like to share, casual tuner and try to avoid dealer at all "cost"!

I started with mom's old Dodge Shadow in the 90s, then I got a 2001 Nissan Sentra, a 2003 Nissan SE-R Spec-V M6, 2003 Mazda Protegé5 M5 (gf), 2007 Surabu Impreza 2.5i M5, 2004 Toyota Echo M5 and a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel, ouf!!

My actual cars are now a 2011 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL Hatchback M6 (work commuter) and my new, or should I say my wife's Aug-2013 built Ford F-150 EcoBoost Lariat Off-Road (she's commuting with it on weekdays).

So we sadly traded the 2008 Jeep GC Diesel in last September for a fully customer built F-150, over $12k in rebate with Ford Employee rate + Costco + 20k taxes return on the Jeep.

But the main reason for change was to tow our 31'ft / 6500 lbs (factory) RV trailer, a 2009 CrossRoads SunSet Trail ST31QB. The Jeep GC was too limit even with proper hitch, 2 sway control and AirLift 1000... Engine/Tranny was ok but driving in windy situation with a so short wheelbase made the trailer overrun the Jeep GC no question... And I'm done cruisig at 90km/h (55mph) !!!

My wife choosed the color, Platinum White with Adobe ingot, especially to match the RV and I pick-up the rest, within our budget limit of course. So here's what I got and why!
  • SuperCrew cabin for the family and 5.5' short bed sufficient for our need and my driveway!
  • Ecoboost engine for the tow power and the fuel "efficiency"... Also, in Quebec we pay an extra progressive tax for +4.0L engine so with the 3.5L EB, it pay itself the extra grand within 5 years vs a 5L
  • 4X4 of course... costy (+4k $) but not an option in our winter!
  • Lariat trim for seat/mirrors dual memory, nice 18" wheel, OEM remote starter, Sync w/MFT, the "neat" apparence vs a same price sporty FX4
  • 501A+502A package for everthing! Tow pack, nerf bar, HID, sunroof, sonar, back-up cam & nav.
  • Off-Road package for everything! LT tires, 3.55:1 diff ratio with e-lock, hill descent control, skip plate, "off-road" shock
  • PowerScope mirrors for RV towing and rear well liner guards
  • Also got a 7 year "extra" powertrain & main componants warranty, paint sealer and a lifetime rust protection added every year (white grease on body parts and rubberized tar on frame)

After waiting 6 weeks, first impression this is a truck, no error there just getting inside! Driving is suprising smooth thus, good soundproof, lots of place and fuel was really decent in fall (~ 12-16L / 100km with 87 octane)... My 3L Diesel used to do 11-13L so not bad!

I got the chance to tow the RV trailer once last fall (and breakin engine!) and wow, the power was amazing (using 91 octane). And the tow/haul mode really help not only power but speed-control in hill descent wow, well enginereed and calibrated there. I was a bit disappointed about the rear suspension travel, bottoming and rebouning alot... ok maybe I was driving faster with the RV now compared to my Jeep GC but I had AirLift 1000 on it and really helped in the past.

In 2011, after calculation minus Jeep alone, the trailer weighted on scale 7600 lbs... now with the extra stuff added over years and bikes/support on tongue to come, I expect 8000 lbs... with AT LEAST 1000 lbs on tongue, if not 1500 to 2000 considering a long 20ft in cantilever before the first axle. So, AirLift RideControl 2000 is my first mod this spring, even if we don't tow all year long, I plan 10-15 trip per season and long trip are to come.

Now for the F-150 alone, so far so good, 7000 kms since Sept-2013, including a rough and cold winter going on. Fuel consumption has raised to 16-20L thus, 4X4-A/HI always, low temp, remote starter, etc...

I already made my first oil change @ 5000km in Dec before the big cold even with OEM oil life counter at 65%... I have never goes past 5000km with the original oil in my cars due to break-in residue and poor oil quality for winter start. I tried this time Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 and use the block heater wheneven it is -20C... Will do an oil analysis at 15000km see how it looks. Oh and I've added Red Line Water Wetter to coolant too at the same time.

Also I will watch in my CAC outpipe as soon as temperature will get little higher for me to work outside for 1h... and maybe drill the hole and/or get an RX catch can (in a single setup from PCV to manifold only).

Bone stock for now, except the front licence frame removal since day 2 (dealer gave me the 5.0L kit), no front licence here and truck looks so better without! I also added aftermarket Ford mud flaps that looks great.

My planned mods are AirLift RideControl 2000, AFE Stage 1 DryS, HID 3000K fog, Pop&Lock tailgate elock, in-bed 12V cig outlet + LED bar...

I won't use any "tuner" to alter OEM ECU but I have OBDLink MX... I tried some Android apps and Forscan for PC but not much time right now to play with this... Like I want to monitor Engine knock and TPMS and I'm sure Forscan will do it but have to look into it.

Ok so now finally, the pics!! You can watch my full album right here
2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Lariat Off-Road album | Laurent "AnGeL" Martin | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

And some best picks:

F-150 Brand new with my cutest model!

Engine and CAC close-up

First camping and trip!

Winter mode with 17" winter tires & rims, notice also aftermarket Ford mud flap

I'm very happy to join the F-150 community and be glad to help and contribute!

P.S. Sorry for the long post and if my english is not perfect, my mothertongue is French

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice write up and welcome!

2013 FX4 Ecoboost, Sterling Gray, 3.55 gears, Rhino Liner, Bed Extender, stock everything else....for now....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your tow mirrors have a blinker that mine don't have. I guess you get different mirrors in Canada? Wish I had yours.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Your tow mirrors have a blinker that mine don't have. I guess you get different mirrors in Canada? Wish I had yours.
They're the same as mine... in the US.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
This is someone who listens. PICTURES !!!!! excellent. Welcome from BC Canada.

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
#picheavy

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Very nice. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome and good to see you finally introduced yourself!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not a fan of chrome or that light brown but dayum it looks good on your truck. Glad you finally introduced yourself.
I'm not a big fan of chrome either, plus it's kinda paradoxal with an "Off-Road" package :p

I know Lariat trim has some chrome already... but imagine, I did NOT take the Chrome package! It would have added chrome wheels, chromed exhaust tip and chromed regular side mirrors !!!

The 502A package got me "chrome" nerf bar and adding the PowerScope in option has only the "chromed" version available so..*.

I have noticed on the road so many differents side mirrors, regular and tow, on 2003+ F-series... (same mount right?)

Mine, the PowerScope with chrome, was the only tow mirrors available for my built... maybe they change in regard of the base trim you choose from start. Anyway, I'm happy with them, especially that I discovered they can be manually fold from outside!

But to my surprise, they doesn't have any flasher/marker on the "inside" visible for the driver and rear cars*... I have seen F-150 regular mirror with inside turning led ?!!&!&!

More they (the PowerScope) have a useless 1x2" black plastic square surface sided to the lower convex Mirror, perfect for that use... Cool project would be to drill holes and install something like optical "light-conductive" plastic that would reach signal lights on the outside. Or just wire LED to OEM light too would be fine... I'm just not so confident to open my PowerScope without broking something?!?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The truck I'd beautiful and "your" mod is cute! Nice job with both. Welcome to Eco!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts