F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ehh, before I start. Im fully aware of what I was doing. It was for a short distance. You dont like it, dont waste your time telling me about. I wouldn't condone doing this as a regular thing.

So I needed 5tons of sand for my new pool im building. Borrowed my dads dump trailer and got some sand from my local quarry about 5 miles away. Truck handled it pretty damn good. Defiantly knew it was back there though. Truck/trailer empty was 10,060 lbs. They put 10,200 lbs in the trailer. The total ticket was 20,300lbs.

Truck ran 55mph for few miles just fine, the rest was slow roads. My driveway is 8 degrees for 200 yards or so, so i put it in 4 low to be safe. It went right up it in 2nd gear with vacuum on the boost gauge, so it pulled pretty easy.

The sand was a bit tongue heavy, but still handled it good.

Just thought it was a unique experience. Neat to have a truck that handles the weight so well. Pulls my 9k camper with out any problems.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,289 Posts
Definitely Defiant.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought I was a rebel pulling a 12k dump trailer with 331 gears for about 20 miles. They loaded mine butt heavy, keeping the tongue light.. needless to say there was some bounce going on.

Did you happen to have a digital read out of your temps?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I mean, thats ONLY 3k lbs over the GCWR of an 11-14 max tow truck. I wouldnt say its that terrible.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a truck to use, as a truck. I put a pallet of pavers in the bed of mine twice. No idea how much it weighed, and don't really care. I had to get them home to do the work.
If we were doing this every day of the year, it might shorten the life of the beast. More power too you!

I do always find the photo phenomenon interesting. These trucks sometimes look like they have a small back tire in pictures, as above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s why I love owning a truck. After Hurricane Katrina I had someone that would replace my roof but I had to pick up all the sealtab myself. At that time I had an ‘05 F150 with the 5.4L.

I borrowed a duel axel bumper pull flatbed trailer. My truck was rated to tow 8400 lbs. I figure trailer and load with all that roofing was around 12k. I had a trailer brake controller and took my time. I had to cross the Huey P Long bridge for anyone that knows the New Orleans area, you know what I’m getting at. I would never pull that kind of load with that truck on a routine bases. Anyway, we do what we have to at times and it’s good to have a truck to do it with.

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
I know that Lake Charles I-10 bridge well.

It's scary enough in an empty truck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing wrong with having a truck to use, as a truck. I put a pallet of pavers in the bed of mine twice. No idea how much it weighed, and don't really care. I had to get them home to do the work.
If we were doing this every day of the year, it might shorten the life of the beast. More power too you!

I do always find the photo phenomenon interesting. These trucks sometimes look like they have a small back tire in pictures, as above.
I think its the fisheye lens on my cam for the super wide angle. Those are 35" 8 ply tirs.

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
I think its the fisheye lens on my cam for the super wide angle. Those are 35" 8 ply tirs.
They certainly look considerably taller than the trailer tires.

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
101 Posts
I know that Lake Charles I-10 bridge well.

It's scary enough in an empty truck!

Isnt that the one that has or had metal grates you could see through after Katrina?
Road across that on my gixxer years back, little trippy looking down into the water!.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Isnt that the one that has or had metal grates you could see through after Katrina?
Road across that on my gixxer years back, little trippy looking down into the water!.
That was scary!!!!!!!!!! went to a bowl game that year at the Superdome coming in from the east. My son was on a bus also and said all they could see was water. there is a new road now . Went up super fast

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently pulled my buddy’s bri-mar which is roughly 2900 lbs with his add ons, plus 4 yards of garden soil, which is at least 4 tons, so 10900 lbs + about 20 miles. No add ons on my truck, no WDH but of course had trailer brakes. I had zero complaints. Never exceeded 55 on the stretch of highway and gave a wide berth between vehicles. One just needs to be very cognizant that there is more weight behind the truck than the actual truck. If I did it all the time I’d have a 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Isn’t it crazy how powerful these little v6 motors are.
I’ve seen similar loads or more pulled with a lot less ponies. It’s more a matter of handling the weight and stopping than getting it going. You are correct that the ecoboosts are impressive little gas powerplants though. I was also always impressed with the towing prowess of my ecodiesel. Torque is king, and the ecoboosts have it in spades for a gas engine of their displacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're probably thinking of what we call the Twin Spans. That's the section of I-10 on the east side of NOLA as it crosses a section of the lake. Katrina messed it up pretty bad. The temporary that was in place was almost like a quick set up military bridge. LOL

The Huey P. Long is a bridge over the Mississippi River. Before it was widened, it seemed like if you passed a car your mirrors would almost touch. It was pretty narrow. LOL

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
You're probably thinking of what we call the Twin Spans. That's the section of I-10 on the east side of NOLA as it crosses a section of the lake. Katrina messed it up pretty bad. The temporary that was in place was almost like a quick set up military bridge. LOL

The Huey P. Long is a bridge over the Mississippi River. Before it was widened, it seemed like if you passed a car your mirrors would almost touch. It was pretty narrow. LOL
The story is (legend?) that the cost of building the bridge could be broken down by cost per inches width. The bid was for a certain width, that was narrowed "off the record", and the extra money was siphoned off to the family.

So we got juuuuust enough bridge not to hit mirrors.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I’ve seen similar loads or more pulled with a lot less ponies. It’s more a matter of handling the weight and stopping than getting it going. You are correct that the ecoboosts are impressive little gas powerplants though. I was also always impressed with the towing prowess of my ecodiesel. Torque is king, and the ecoboosts have it in spades for a gas engine of their displacement.
I gotta say, the 12th gen F150(like the OP’s) is a pretty stout truck. I mean mine comes in at almost 6200 lbs empty, which is only a few hundred lbs less than a gasser F250 crew cab.

Its funny that Nissan felt the need to come out with the Titan XD as if it was some kind of revelation. Ford was already making as big and heavy a truck. In fact, the F150 has a longer wheelbase than the XD in the crew cab 6.5’, which is what the XD is. While everyone was starting to move to lighter half tons, nissan had the bright idea to make it heavier.

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
101 Posts

I think you right, just took a look at the map, and it was i-10, coming from Florida to texas.
I believe it was the westward bound (eastside) section going over lake Pontchartrain.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
60 Posts
I gotta say, the 12th gen F150(like the OP’s) is a pretty stout truck. I mean mine comes in at almost 6200 lbs empty, which is only a few hundred lbs less than a gasser F250 crew cab.

Its funny that Nissan felt the need to come out with the Titan XD as if it was some kind of revelation. Ford was already making as big and heavy a truck. In fact, the F150 has a longer wheelbase than the XD in the crew cab 6.5’, which is what the XD is. While everyone was starting to move to lighter half tons, nissan had the bright idea to make it heavier.
No doubt, and mine is a 2015 with 3.31 rear and handles an overload very gracefully. I have appropriate shoes for it, but the rest is stock. Impressive truck for a loaded halfer with a 5.5 bed lol. I worked as a regional sales manager boob for Cummins when the announcement of the titan XD came out. We were all called into an office at the distributorship and told before it launched and I kind of facepalmed. It was a shelved engine from like 07-08 when daimler owned dodge/ram before the recession hit, then fiat turned it down and went VM motori (i owned one... a pleasure to drive) so cummins shelved it and then added emissions equipment as needed and its kind of a bastard child. The Nissan “heavy half” theory failed just as I suspected. Can’t put lipstick on a pig and expect the success dodge had back when they did it.

That said, i bought a first year ram ecodiesel and drove it untuned up to 130k. I loved that truck and had the scr replaced once under warranty. At 110k I had to replace a coolant temp sensor. At just shy of 130k the EGR cooler failed and was on a 2 month backorder. I deleted and tuned it and drove it to 157k before i traded it in at 4 years. I love a half ton with a small diesel. I got the 3.5 because of the torque curve, way faster and plenty of grunt, but it isn’t quite the same. Love it as well. My next may be a f150 powerstroke or I’ll go with the HO. Not sure. I’ve driven the 10 speed and its okay, but the ZF-8 in the ram is still a much nicer trans in my opinion. One of the best things the ram has going for it, especially with the diesel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts