F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new and couldn't find a better place to post this question. i have a 13 xlt with crew cab, the overhead console with the two sunglass storage compartments. I find these pointless, has anyone modified these to be something different? i was thinking of cutting the divider between the two and mounting a tray. I know its nothing exciting but i would like use of this space and these do nothing for me. any ideas ?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
new and couldn't find a better place to post this question. i have a 13 xlt with crew cab, the overhead console with the two sunglass storage compartments. I find these pointless, has anyone modified these to be something different? i was thinking of cutting the divider between the two and mounting a tray. I know its nothing exciting but i would like use of this space and these do nothing for me. any ideas ?
Thanks
I saw pics of some upfitter(?) switches added to one...

·
Registered
868 Posts
they are only designed to hold small things like sunglasses or such because in the event of an accident anything heavier becomes a liability due to risk of injury from flying objects at head and eye level !

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
they are only designed to hold small things like sunglasses or such because in the event of an accident anything heavier becomes a liability due to risk of injury from flying objects at head and eye level !
I'm not sure that makes sense.
Not saying you're wrong, but the people that come up with this stuff are nuts....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have seen some put their tuner/ livewire there( pointless putting a live wire there IMO) but its just seems like it is difficult to find a purpose for that space. I was thinking the tray idea so i could put something like my owners manual up there.
Thanks for the reply though.

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
I thought about what I could do up there too....but then a realized that it's a perfect spot for your backup tactical flashlight! :cool:
I put my Streamlight Stinger in that little pocket on the passenger side by the foot of the center console...fits perfect.

I also only have one 'sunglass holder' as my trucks got the moonroof/power sliding rear window

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'll probably get something fiberglass made where I can put lifter switches up there at some point when I get a 2nd battery and sound system/accessory lights. Will wire everything into a connector so I can snap it in/out as needed.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That sounds cool...speaking of second batteries...has anyone seen a how-to thread on that for these trucks?

I'm not a GM guy, but they make it a lot easier on their 1/2 ton trucks to add a second battery. I don't see a good spot for one in my truck....:confused:

I leave my jack and recovery gear behind the passenger seat in the back (SCREW), plenty of room for someone to just put their feet on it. Isolator will slide into where the jack goes and battery will fit under the seat in the same spot.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would have to pass on that but thanks for the info.
I use them a lot except for in the summer, so it doesn't make sense to have them tucked off.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I leave my jack and recovery gear behind the passenger seat in the back (SCREW), plenty of room for someone to just put their feet on it. Isolator will slide into where the jack goes and battery will fit under the seat in the same spot.
when referring to a second battery i think they mean an automotive style battery, which i would highly recommend not storing or locating inside the cab
your typical lead acid battery is filled with sulfuric acid and and does emit vapors
also it emits hydrogen gas, not a good combination to seal into a user occupied compartment !
any number of bad things could come out of theat.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
when referring to a second battery i think they mean an automotive style battery, which i would highly recommend not storing or locating inside the cab
your typical lead acid battery is filled with sulfuric acid and and does emit vapors
also it emits hydrogen gas, not a good combination to seal into a user occupied compartment !
any number of bad things could come out of theat.
Who buys those anymore? I've only ran AGM batteries for years. None of those concerns have any merit.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Point taken, but I personally still have several reservations about mounting a full size battery inside the cab of the truck. Plus, for my intended usage, I would rather have it in the engine bay for convenience. But if it works for you....mod on man!
Most European cars all have their batteries mounted inside the vehicle, there are 0 concerns in that regard.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
My BMW has the battery in the trunk. Hasn't blow up yet :D

So much boost it broke my hand eH

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My BMW has the battery in the trunk. Hasn't blow up yet :D

I believe all BMWs have a trunk mounted battery, same with Audi. If it's good enough for ze Germans it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
We'll I'd rather my ass get nailed than my back. Never thought I would say that before haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts