F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my ecoboost since March of 2013. I tow a Attitude Toy Hauler 24fs. I've never had any issues while towing for the past 3yrs until now. I've towed up Indian Canyon to Aviniquin, up Eureka to Little Sahara dunes, and up Fairview to the North and Miller's Flat/Potter's Pond areas, Utah . To go up Fairview is a steep pull and depending on the outside temps, I sometimes have to pull over and let the tranny cool (just one time). The last 2 times I've pulled Fairview canyon, the truck engine has heated up and I've have to pull over upwards as 5 times. I took it into the dealer and the first replaced the radiator cap. It still overheated. This last time they replaced the thermostat and said that it was sticking, idk what to believe. I was wondering if any one has had the same issues and if so, what fixed them. I've pulled the same canyon, same weight in my trailer 10 previous times with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't know what gear set you have, but if your running 3:73's try pulling in the 67-70mph range.
I just got back from pulling my 33' 8k Springdale through 100+ ambient temps to 7k above sea level.
My truck got hot several times, but when I pulled at those speeds the truck responded well. It would run in 6th, than drop down a gear to hit 2400-2500 rpms....than another gear and be in the 3000rpm range.
I don't lock out gears and run on cruise all the time.
I find that once you level out 6th gear cools her back down.
Give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mack77,

Both me and my brother have the same issue. Mine is at the dealer right now and they say they cannot find anything wrong. They installed a device to capture the problem when it happens. When I pull Parley canyon I get the overheat light. My truck only has 21000 miles. My load is about 8000 lb. I know the canyon you stated very well. It is a hard pull but the damn thing still shouldn't overheat. I will let you know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya they shouldn't be overheating. I've took my back 3 times. The first they changed the radiator cap, second the thermostat , and this last time they said I needed new spark plugs. I did read up and they said to replace plugs every 20-30,000. I still can't see why that would make it heat up and only this year, not the previous 3yrs. They do sell an aftermarket radiator for $675 that I might try out before I sell off and go back to a diesel.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I went through that last year. Took my truck to Ford like 5 times for overheating.
I pull a 8k 33' bumper pull, well within my towing specs.
My problem is that out in AZ I happen to tow during the summer months when ambient Temps hit 118°+ tackling long 7-9% grades.
I've parked my loaded trailer and truck together right at the Ford dealership.
Had them install their data logger....showed no issue?
Changed radiator cap; thermostat, flushed radiator, and had the last reflash on the ECM/PCM.
I run the 5* 91p/t tune and that helps a lot.
This past towing adventure I only got the yellow screen twice with no reduction in power and as I crested the hill it tapered off.
I ordered a FR Radiator and Wagner CAC + 170° T.
Had some serious unexpected family issues, so had to send back the hardware....maybe next time when things settle down.
In the mean time I will drop the 170°T in and see what that does.
Love the Boost though.
I originally was going for the F250...but test drove the Boost and that was it-lol.
Truck has plenty of power, it's just keeping it cool while doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered plugs and a sct livewire. Hopefully that's helps some. Then I plan on getting the bigger radiator. It has tons of power and really pulls my trailer just as good as my 00' powerstroke did other than it was a little more sturdy.
I love having a f150 and love the truck, so hopefully this all works. My dad has a 2012 5.0 and mine eats it alive. I was curious if the Wagner CAC would help lower the engine temps.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping for results with both pieces....have to wait now. :frown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Ford dealer has had mine for over a week. They say they cannot find anything wrong. Really pisses me off!! They want to wash out the radiator. REALLY it only has 21000 miles and has only been off road once. WTF!! I know something is not right. They are going back to Ford for more info.

·
Banned
508 Posts
The Ford dealer has had mine for over a week. They say they cannot find anything wrong. Really pisses me off!! They want to wash out the radiator. REALLY it only has 21000 miles and has only been off road once. WTF!! I know something is not right. They are going back to Ford for more info.
Get new sp534 spark plugs, gap .030, and drill the 1/16" intercooler weep hole. I bet that these two common ecoboost fixes solve your problems.

·
Banned
508 Posts
Google that and you will find the info that supports it. The weep hole is a must have item- keeps the oil and water out of the intercooler and it will function better safely. Spark plugs only last 20k miles or so on this engine as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned my ecoboost since March of 2013. I tow a Attitude Toy Hauler 24fs. I've never had any issues while towing for the past 3yrs until now. I've towed up Indian Canyon to Aviniquin, up Eureka to Little Sahara dunes, and up Fairview to the North and Miller's Flat/Potter's Pond areas, Utah . To go up Fairview is a steep pull and depending on the outside temps, I sometimes have to pull over and let the tranny cool (just one time). The last 2 times I've pulled Fairview canyon, the truck engine has heated up and I've have to pull over upwards as 5 times. I took it into the dealer and the first replaced the radiator cap. It still overheated. This last time they replaced the thermostat and said that it was sticking, idk what to believe. I was wondering if any one has had the same issues and if so, what fixed them. I've pulled the same canyon, same weight in my trailer 10 previous times with no problems.

Sent from my SM

·
Registered
3 Posts
my truck is 2011 ecoboost whit 3.55 rear end pulled same trailer over 10000 miles no problems at 100000 mile on truck it started over heating been at dealers for over 3 months new radiator,water pump, and thermostat . also pulled heads and checked for leaking head gaskets also worpped or cracked heads ford doesn't know whats wrong . does anyone know how to fix

·
Registered
19 Posts
2013 ecoboost I bought it used 3 weeks ago with 44,000 miles on it. I'm a contractor and I was towing a 6'x12' box trailer around 4,000 lbs in 25 degree weather on flat ground and on the highway going around 65 mph. I was using tow/haul mode and made it about 10 miles from home and the truck told me it was to hot and the gauge was all the way up. I pulled over and almost instantly the temperature went down. It's back at the ford dealership getting looked at but they are having a hard time figuring it out. I've read about these problems from other threads but I haven't heard of anyone who was able to get it completely fixed. I haul that trailer almost every day. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Also I've been hearing a fan kick on when idling that's really loud. Never had an ecoboost before, not sure if it's normal. It's winter here and the outside temperatures are still cold, will these problems only get worse when it gets warmer out?

·
Registered
127 Posts
For those towing a lot (8k+) in high temperature with large elevation changes, I would seriously consider looking at an aftermarket intercooler. The stock one will heatsoak extremely fast in high load conditions, it can serve to further compound heat build up in the engine.
There is a some decent information on this in the forum about thermostats and intercoolers. Would also invite those interested to read the thread I have in my sig on OEM VS aftermarket intercooler testing.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
2013 ecoboost I bought it used 3 weeks ago with 44,000 miles on it. I'm a contractor and I was towing a 6'x12' box trailer around 4,000 lbs in 25 degree weather on flat ground and on the highway going around 65 mph. I was using tow/haul mode and made it about 10 miles from home and the truck told me it was to hot and the gauge was all the way up. I pulled over and almost instantly the temperature went down. It's back at the ford dealership getting looked at but they are having a hard time figuring it out. I've read about these problems from other threads but I haven't heard of anyone who was able to get it completely fixed. I haul that trailer almost every day. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Also I've been hearing a fan kick on when idling that's really loud. Never had an ecoboost before, not sure if it's normal. It's winter here and the outside temperatures are still cold, will these problems only get worse when it gets warmer out?
Eki, that is a tiny trailer by size and weight.
To have this issue in 25° weather is not right....and yes it will get worse in summer months.
Find out if your truck has had the most recent Ford ECU/PCM strategy update for the transmission & CAC.
Their is NO WAY that truck should overheat in those conditions period.
I pull 8k+ in 110° AZ temps pulling 6-7% grades and have experienced overheating.
This season I have installed a 170° thermostat with a tow tune for the temp change, that will engage the fans sooner.
You should not have this issue....repetitive
What is the repair/service records on your Boost....look into that.
Typically when their are a few mechancal faltering issues, that combination affects how your truck performs under loads....aka; tired plugs, sensors, coils, and or wet CAC (take out and inspect)
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info. Ford is supposed to tell me something tomorrow. Is it normal for the fan to be real loud when the truck is stopped?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ford did an update for that involving the fan with their last ECU/PCM update for the 14`s.
But it is normal for the fans to sound loud.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts