F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill, I thought I would ask you since you may know of a fix for this. My truck has the electronic rear differential, but it only locks until 25 mph when in 4HI (or 2wd). It will stay locked until nearly 60mph in 4LO.

On some other trucks (i.e. Toyota), you can simply buy a switch and manually keep the electronic rear diff locked. Are you aware of any such device for our trucks or ways to modify it so we can keep the rear diff locked (until we choose to unlock it).

Alternatively, is there a way to modify the programming so we can alter the threshold speed for locking and unlocking through a programmer option?

·
Registered
868 Posts
as a last resort i could see hooking a simple switched relay in line with the E-lock that you could override whenever and however long you wanted with a switch on the dash somewhere
it would work just like the A/C switch overides the thermostat for the cooling fans

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as a last resort i could see hooking a simple switched relay in line with the E-lock that you could override whenever and however long you wanted with a switch on the dash somewhere
it would work just like the A/C switch overides the thermostat for the cooling fans
Somehow I don't think it is quite so easy, or I suspect I would have found a ton of "Internet Solutions" when I Googled it, like I did for Toyota.

I am hoping/wishing for a PCM software override that you can control. Then if I want to turn it off or on I just need to pull the ELD switch already on my truck.

In fact, I am thinking one better, that any 4x4 owner can "upgrade" to the 4AWD switch found on the higher end models. Often, all the "programming" is already in the PCM and you just need the "switch and an activation in the PCM" with maybe a "pin swap or jump" to make it all work.

Unfortunately, I didn't know that Ford offered AWD on the higher end F150s (unlike the base 4x4 ESOF found on our XLT models), or I would have searched for a better truck when I bought mine last month. But, then I doubt I would have got the deal that I got on my truck. And, I actually preferred the look of the XLT over all the other models.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bill, I thought I would ask you since you may know of a fix for this. My truck has the electronic rear differential, but it only ).
locks until 25 mph when in 4HI (or 2wd). It will stay locked until nearly 60mph in 4LO.
?
just wondering what reason do you want your lockers engaged all the time for? when i have mine locked it turns really poorly

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
just wondering what reason do you want your lockers engaged all the time for? when i have mine locked it turns really poorly
It's just a rear locker. Turns easily, but the chirping inside tire is obnoxious. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can think of many off road scenarios where this would be benificial. On pavement the only time you would want this Is at the dragstrip. For a road racing or pavement sport truck you don't want the locker a limited slip would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can think of many off road scenarios where this would be benificial. On pavement the only time you would want this Is at the dragstrip. For a road racing or pavement sport truck you don't want the locker a limited slip would be more appropriate.
ya When of roading it would be handy but when ive need to use mine i wasnt doing over 20 mph.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Lots of reasons: Winter driving and Off Road are my reasons. I don't drag race, but in 2WD having it work like a Limited Slip would be nice to have too.

Bottom line, I would like it to work like more like a Limited Slip.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(Remember this is coming from the guy with a 2WD) But doesn't the raptor have something like this?
I believe so. I think their 4WD (Hi and Lo) both support unlimited speed in the Electronic Locker. Not sure about 2WD ... but it's probalby 25mph similar to my XLT.

I would prefer both 2WD and 4WD HI to remain locked at a higher speed than 25 mph for my truck. Not sure what a person would need to do to convert the system to work like a Raptor. But, I was hoping it could be a simple change to threshold inside the PCM (like the speed limiter of 100mph).

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not pcm cOntrolled.... Its controlled by the 4x4 module....
You mean the Transfer Case Control Module? So maybe if I swap in the TCCM from a Raptor along with 4x4 Switch and other components from a Raptor, I can get my XLT E-Locker to work the same as a Raptor? Basically convert it to be exactly like a Raptor.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried this?

·
Registered
868 Posts
what about the option of installing a real limited slip carrier and disconnecting the E-lock all together.
i have put aftermarket lockers in other trucks i had and it wasnt as hard as many people think.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen a video comparing the Ecoboost to the Raptor, and it stated that the Raptor stays locked in 2WD while ours kick out at 25mph. It could be a "model year" thing with the Raptor (early models unlocked at 25mph and later models now stay locked).

My concern is more 4WD though (2WD would just be bonus). According to a Ford Tech friend, he said the Raptor definitely stays locked in 4HI and 4LO. While ours unlock at 25mph in 4HI and 60mph 4LO. That alone is worth the price of admission for me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if that is in fact true i would hit up a dealer and have them look the parts up to see if they would be compatible
i dont see why they wouldnt interchange and then you got what you want

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what about the option of installing a real limited slip carrier and disconnecting the E-lock all together.
i have put aftermarket lockers in other trucks i had and it wasnt as hard as many people think.
Ultimately, that may end up being the fix I need. If "high performance" 2WD drag performance was my ultimately goal, it would be the path I go. But 4WD is more my real goal (and 2WD the icing on the cake).

I was just hoping that there was a realtively easy "fix" that was widely known (like Toyota's). I would just hate to go to the expense of switching over to an LS ... and then someone finds an "easy electronic fix". But if swapping over to the Raptor TCCM and possibly some switch or a "wire jump" will give me 4WD unlimited locking ... I'm in if the price isn't too high.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if that is in fact true i would hit up a dealer and have them look the parts up to see if they would be compatible
i dont see why they wouldnt interchange and then you got what you want
My local dealer isn't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. I may have to contact some larger dealers in the "big city" and see if any of the Technicians have investigated this and (hopefully) done it with successful results.

I cannot believe I am the only person who wanted to do this to his Ecoboost 4x4. I didn't think I was that old.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the text over your avatar does say Sr member !
but with that said i have the E-lock rear and i dont like the fact that it locks solid and spins the inside tire whenever you turn
i am just fine with it unlocking at 25 mph plus i know if i am driving in the snow it will not allow both tires to spin and put me into a slide
if it was up to me i would rather have the E-lock on the front end

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
the text over your avatar does say Sr member !
but with that said i have the E-lock rear and i dont like the fact that it locks solid and spins the inside tire whenever you turn
i am just fine with it unlocking at 25 mph plus i know if i am driving in the snow it will not allow both tires to spin and put me into a slide
if it was up to me i would rather have the E-lock on the front end
Had a front locker on my Tacoma. It sucked, you could hardly turn. There were several instances in the mud where I had my wheels cut completely to lock and the truck still went straight due to all 4 tires spinning with full power. Not a cool feeling as you're approaching something you don't want to run into...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts