F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well.. I have had my new to me 2013 SCREW ecoboost for a total of 4 days. Stopped at the post office, shut it off, got the mail. Started it back up and got the dreaded ticking sound, but this time it didn't go away and I felt like I had no power, almost like a turbo failure. Plugged in my cheap scanner and got a P0012 code.. Does anyone have experience with this code? It's being picked up by a tow truck shortly and brought to my local dealer. I am fearing the worst, either a timing chain or turbos. Weird thing is, I have no check engine light. Well I guess now is as good a time as ever to get baseline maintenance done including spark plugs. 馃ぃ馃檮
20210223_085818.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Called the dealership you bought it from?
It was a small mom and pop dealership, I bought as is, no warranty. I'm not sure calling them would do any good, but depending on the outcome of the diagnosis by Ford, they may get a phone call.

Registered
Fair enough, I'm not going to tell you how to handle your business or be that guy "pshhahshsgghh I'd be calling them yesterday and tell them to reimburse you for your time blah blah blah"

If you search this forum, there are a couple of threads on the code, might be helpful. It could be a diy job depending on your skill level.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, I'm not going to tell you how to handle your business or be that guy "pshhahshsgghh I'd be calling them yesterday and tell them to reimburse you for your time blah blah blah"

If you search this forum, there are a couple of threads on the code, might be helpful. It could be a diy job depending on your skill level.
I will be doing some research on the code for sure. Again, I will see what the Ford dealer says and I'll go from there. Good news is, it probably doesn't need a motor, as it drove fine it just had lack of power, but oil pressure and all vitals were ok. I'm hoping that worst case scenario is turbo replacements, or timing chain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I was literally just reading this same article. I'm kinda bummed it happened so soon into ownership, but I also realize that I chose to buy an 8 year old vehicle without knowing all the service history, so that was a gamble I took. Like my wife said, worst case, we put a new engine in it 馃ぃ I assured her that wasn't likely the case.

Registered
It sucks, getting excited then watching that payment get towed. It'll work out, just take any issue as they come, don't get ahead of yourself.
Similarly, I went to check out a 2012, guy straight up lied about rust, any issues, how long he owned it. Rockers were rotted, had a "genuine ford part" sticker on the radiator support (accident??), tailgate looked like it hit a tree, had nasty phaser rattle and he cleared the codes prior to us showing up.
Screenshot_20210213-105956~2.png

Registered
The moral of the story, even individuals selling cars can be shady, the dealership might not have known and could be an honest mistake. It's not like they're taking them on 500 mile cruises before they sell em.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The moral of the story, even individuals selling cars can be shady, the dealership might not have known and could be an honest mistake. It's not like they're taking them on 500 mile cruises before they sell em.
Yep. I mean the guy seemed like a good guy and he was just a small used car dealer. I did some research on the dealer before I went ro look at the truck and they had good reviews. I don't place the blame on the dealer, as you said he may not have known. Either way, it is what it is, and ill figure it out.

Registered
Not to escalate your thought process, but I鈥檇 suggest you not wait too long to at least inform the seller what your dealing with... hate to find out you 鈥渕issed a window鈥 relative to time based upon laws in your state etc.

If they truly are a reputable dealer, they should be concerned they sold you a problem. Warranty or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well, talking to the Ford dealer and they are saying there is an excessive amount of sludge in the engine indicating a severe lack of maintenance. They are recommending a reman motor to the tune of $11,000 reusing my old turbos, water pump, belts and hoses. If I want all new turbos water pump, belts, hoses etc, price goes to almost $15k. Im going to talk to the dealership I bought it from tomorrow to see what kinda of recourse I have and to see if they even pretend to be willing to help me with this. If not, I may need to get a lawyer involved. I spent 18k on a truck that appeared to be well taken care of. I guess that's my own fault.

Premium Member
How many days did you you own it before this? And what state?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
How many days did you you own it before this? And what state?

I owned it for 4 days and drove it for 300 miles before it died. I am in Missouri. It's not appearing that I have much recourse, from the research I have done.

Registered
Ouch. That's a hefty bullet to bite.

Idk how you handle dealing with people or nasty situations. But....

My unsolicited advice, try the sympathy card? Calm, cool, well rehearsed discussion "we don't have a lot of money, I can't afford this, blah blah blah".
My wife has one of the better plays. She will state the issue as calm as possible then ask if that's something the person you are dealing with can help... people like to help. And whatever they offer shy of what you want, say "is that your best offer" (it's just a question, try to avoid any inflection) followed by, "let me think about it and get back to you".
Anyway... There's my 2 cents, it's worked a few times during lesser situations. If you don't like it, throw it back hah.

Either way, keep us posted. These trucks are good, even with proper maintenance they still develop issues...every car does.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: Ford dealer says there is likely sludge in the engine and they want to replace the engine.... I talked to the dealer that sold it to me. He paid to have it towed from the Ford dealer I had it at, to another Ford dealer he trusts, to get a 2nd opinion. He has said that if the engine is in fact toast, he will make it right. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I feel a bit more positive that he is willing to help out. I will update again once I have more information.

Premium Member
That's good news.
It at least reflects that the dealer isn't just shutting the door in your face.

Getting a second opinion from FORD, and it being in his own words a source he trusts, is far more encouraging than where you stood 24 hours ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's good news.
It at least reflects that the dealer isn't just shutting the door in your face.

Getting a second opinion from FORD, and it being in his own words a source he trusts, is far more encouraging than where you stood 24 hours ago.

Yes. Honestly, I bought the truck as is, no warranty expressed or implied. He had every right to tell me to pound sand, so the fact that he is doing this much means a lot to me already. I was prepared to spend $14,000 for a reman engine including all new hard parts and turbos, including new manifolds. I am still prepared to do that, if thats what comes of this.

Premium Member
I don't know you and likely will never meet you personally, but I can't help but be impressed with your attitude and composure. I'm betting it serves you well regardless of where this saga leads.

I know I now am rooting in your favor. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I don't know you and likely will never meet you personally, but I can't help but be impressed with your attitude and composure. I'm betting it serves you well regardless of where this saga leads.

I know I now am rooting in your favor. :)

Well I have always been taught that you treat people the way you would like to be treated. It is really going to suck if I have to pony up for a new engine in a truck I just bought, however, I also realize that buying a used vehicle, as-is, with no warranty, is a risky business. I also would like to hope that there are some honest and ethical people on the planet that will make things right, regardless of paperwork signed. Even the dealership I bought it from commented that they would have never put the truck up for sale had they known the engine was faulty. The way the dealership reacted to the situation tells me they do care about their reputation and their customers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts