F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be, bin the truck and start looking for a new one.

230k miles
Rattles like a can of nickels on startup.
A few days ago I get a service engine soon light.
Read the codes and have P0014, P0024, P054A, P054C
Oil and all other fluids are fine.

I imagine it is highly unlikely both cam position sensors when bad at the exact same time.

I was just about to replace the tires, have a trans flush, and replace water pump; but given these new codes I think I may be better offer replacing the truck.

Am I overreacting or should I start shopping?

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT, 3.5 ecoBoost, 4 door, Super Crew, Stock
83 Posts
230,000 and you just getting the rattle and codes?
Wow!
Mine started at 98,000.
About to pull the trigger on cam phaser replacement etc.
If I were you.
Call it a Very good run, and search for a replacement. JMOP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those seem to be codes for a stretched timing chain.
I agree
The rattling has been going on for years, the codes started less than a week ago.
I gotcha.
Comes down to how much you like your truck vs. the purchase of another truck.
Est. Here, $2,500 to replace everything.
I might consider repairing.
You said the rattle has been going on for years.
At what m I mileage did your rattle start?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At what m I mileage did your rattle start?
I bought it about 5 years ago from my employer at the time; it had 190k miles on it.
They had just put a bunch of money into repairs and sold it to me at the cost of the repairs; the employer is a personal friend so it was a hookup.

The rattle was present then but just barely and obviously progressively worse over the years.

I figured it was a matter of time before the thing self destructed but was hoping for another year or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought it about 5 years ago from my employer at the time; it had 190k miles on it.
They had just put a bunch of money into repairs and sold it to me at the cost of the repairs; the employer is a personal friend so it was a hookup.

The rattle was present then but just barely and obviously progressively worse over the years.

I figured it was a matter of time before the thing self destructed but was hoping for another year or so.
I would probably check on repairing it.
Might get another 2 years or more of service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be, bin the truck and start looking for a new one.

230k miles
Rattles like a can of nickels on startup.
A few days ago I get a service engine soon light.
Read the codes and have P0014, P0024, P054A, P054C
Oil and all other fluids are fine.

I imagine it is highly unlikely both cam position sensors when bad at the exact same time.

I was just about to replace the tires, have a trans flush, and replace water pump; but given these new codes I think I may be better offer replacing the truck.

Am I overreacting or should I start shopping?
I've been getting that rattle shake for years when picking up speed. Only happens for a few seconds. I have 195,0000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would probably check on repairing it.
Might get another 2 years or more of service.
From what I gather it is a pretty big job.
From what I've seen, people have paid well over $2000 (more like $3500-5000) to replace timing chain, fasers, and all the bits involved. I cannot see spending that kind of money on a truck that also needs new tires, new water pump, and a few hoses replaced.

In all, it would be at MINIMUM $4000 to do all that. Realistically, its more like $5000-6500.
That would be more than the truck is worth.

I do not have the time, inclination, or facilities to do the job myself.

I'm very tempted to put it up for sale.
List it for $4000 and be up front about the issue.
Its likely somebody will the skillset will come along and, with a bit of work, have a really good truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I gotcha.
Do what makes you most comfortable.
Around here at the dealership it's a 2,000-2,500 job for all that. But not everywhere is the same.
Sell, it as you said.
I bet someone will buy it with the skillset and be happy 😊

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotcha.
Do what makes you most comfortable.
Around here at the dealership it's a 2,000-2,500 job for all that. But not everywhere is the same.
Sell, it as you said.
I bet someone will buy it with the skillset and be happy 😊
It needs a new water pump, new hoses, trans flush, then all the stuff associated with timing chain.

Tonight a dealership offered me $5k as trade in on new truck (not ford). Likely have a new ride tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts