F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess it's my turn.... Never a good thing if you have to post a thread in this section, is it? ;)

Passenger turbo. Makes a noise like a ball bearing rattling around in a casted hollow aluminum part... Seems an easy diagnosis (I have a Ford tech friend coming to confirm this today), how hard is the job for a fool like me who's fairly decent with a wrench? I've read quite a few threads here on search, and haven't found a good source of info on replacement. I assume Youtube's the go to.

I guess here are my questions:

This a job for the casual mechanic who's never done this? I've alotted 3 days for the job, in the garage. Can't start this til Thursday night. I have 2 more days of work, so that means so does my nutless truck lol

Any good source of info for this? For a beginner like myself, who has good attention to detail? (Tools list, do's/don'ts, diagrams)

It's passenger side, which space-wise, makes me happy compared to the other side... Scale of 1-10, how big a b**** is the job?

Trying to keep the job cheap as I can, credit cards have been beaten like pinatas over the holidays... Any help or tips and tricks on this appreciated.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You got this Mikedick! I think the timing repair is worse than the turbo removal/installation. I think where most people go wrong is they try to do it without removing enough stuff to save time, but in the end it makes it more frustrating because the spaces are small. For instance the downpipe. Many people say do the turbo without bothering to drop the downpipe. It involves moving the transmission crossmember, an awkward tranny bracket, etc. But it's so much easier with them out of the way so you can focus on the coolant/oil lines and turbo mount. The issue is there's a lot of connections there. So if you're trying to work around say the downpipe, then you may have more trouble with other things that you're not focused on. Another one is the wheel well liner. Do yourself a favor and pull that sucker out.

Now if you had the funds, I would seriously consider doing both at the same time. Another thing to consider is your exhaust manifolds. Might want to consider just changing out the studs if you can't afford to replace with the CRPs. (Although the exhaust gasket is pretty expensive too.)

Just the turbo, it'd give it a solid 7/10.

The biggest problem I had was with the oil return pipe. The gasket to the turbo is all metal with a bent rib on the inside. I got mine back together and it kept seeping oil. It has to be torqued in sequence exactly as the service manual states. If there's any dirt or particulate, it will raise the gasket and allow the oil to seep. Again if you're fighting the downpipe, to get the turbo out, you may put some pressure on this pipe and bend it. If you change the angle it's not going to seal right. I never did find out why my oil pipe kept leaking. I ended up pulling the turbo again and replacing the whole pipe. Never leaked since.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I mean it when I say that I would absolutely consider Dan a legitimate source!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
aw thanks buddy! If Mike were closer I would swap a turbo for him if he would do the injectors on my truck. ;)

Seriously Mike, it's only scary your first time. After that it's just a pain in the arse. There's a lot of resources here to back you up if you get in a pinch.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I been reading on it a ton the last day. I appreciate the votes of confidence, and I totally trust Dan, being someone who's been there before on some real tough jobs, and done some thorough write ups on them.

Unfortunately, it's a short budget. I don't much care about having to do it again later. It's more about getting my work ride back to normal, and getting the wife off my butt about "I told you so". She blames the tune. I blame what I did to the truck with a tune on it. Did I kick it in the beans to 6k rpm through 3 gears just for fun? You betcha! My fault it's now broke? Yup!

I guess if I had to drop a DP, it's be a bummer. I do have a leak still at the donut on the passenger side that I could fix while there.... I appreciate it guys!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aw thanks buddy! If Mike were closer I would swap a turbo for him if he would do the injectors on my truck. ;)
In a heartbeat dude, in a heartbeat! That's a job I could sure handle!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm not saying it's not possible without removing the DP, I just think it would make it a more stressful job if you didn't open it up all the way. I get budget concerns, especially after a big holiday like Christmas. The problem you run into though is the gaskets and misc. items will easily be ~$100. So if for some unfortunate reason you have to go back in there for say a warped exhaust manifold, it's another hondo in gaskets. Unfortunately the turbo is in the way to get to other things - But you have fix/replace only what you can afford.

www.Rockauto.com has some off-brand remanufactured turbos for ~$280-330 each with $180 core. Might be worth a look. Some look like they come with gaskets too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not saying it's not possible without removing the DP, I just think it would make it a more stressful job if you didn't open it up all the way. I get budget concerns, especially after a big holiday like Christmas. The problem you run into though is the gaskets and misc. items will easily be ~$100. So if for some unfortunate reason you have to go back in there for say a warped exhaust manifold, it's another hondo in gaskets. Unfortunately the turbo is in the way to get to other things - But you have fix/replace only what you can afford.

www.Rockauto.com has some off-brand remanufactured turbos for ~$280-330 each with $180 core. Might be worth a look. Some look like they come with gaskets too.
Yes sir, I eyeballed those already. That was another question. Any performance concerns with the off brands?

And you got that right about Christmas. Grandkids do it to ya! Then you spend 6 months getting back to where you were, maybe buy a toy for yourself, then do it all again :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Verified. Bad passenger turbo. Took him about 2 sec of listening to it. Says sounds like the turbine bouncing off the housing. Now I know!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
And you got that right about Christmas. Grandkids do it to ya! Then you spend 6 months getting back to where you were, maybe buy a toy for yourself, then do it all again :)
Exactly!

I don't know about running turbos from different brands if the wastegates will operate exactly the same? One would think if they are spec'd properly it shouldn't be an issue, but then again I can't believe what some people post on here for parts received from xyz company. If you indeed get the gaskets with it, then that's a really good deal. It might actually buy you 6 months until the card balance is lower and you drop in those new Full-Race ones! By then you'll be a turbo swapping expert too!🏅

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea that's what i'm hoping for anyways. Most of those turbos on Rockauto are out of stock, just doesn't say til you try to add to cart. Dirty bastards! Thanks you again for helping guide me through this!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Here's the resource I used to pull my turbos. Also the service manual which has the torque sequence and specs for everything. He does it with the downpipe installed, so you may be able to keep the stress low if you use his tips. I had a lot of time to do the job so I removed everything. Definitely have some of those christmas tree anchors for the wheel well liner. I broke almost all of them on mine. Easier to just yank them out rather than play with them to reuse.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup thats the same video I seen and had bookmarked. That has the torque specs in it also? Good video anyways, makes it look easy enough for me to do.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I can PM you the service manual parts if you need it. Just let me know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't done my turbo swap yet so I don't know well this works, but I did see a video where they just used a ratchet strap between the downpipe and a bracket to pull it back some for the extra clearance without removing. Looked like they wrapped it around middle of DP and hooked it to a cross member bracket further back.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can PM you the service manual parts if you need it. Just let me know.
I'll take you up on that one! Got the turbo today. Looks legit. We will see how well the off brand turbo works on our trucks it seems. Maybe this helps others in a bind decide on their brand.

We will see how this goes tomorrow. Disassembly starts in the morning after sufficient coffee, and the mandatory morning dump off.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Came with gaskets, not too shabby. What was the final cost? Strange seeing the syringe with oil. I assume you have to shoot some of that inside impeller shaft block for the first start until the oil starts flowing?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's what it says. It was 530 with tax, plus 40 bucks for next business day, with a 180 core. So 390 roundabout. All looks good with it. Started spraying the penetrating oil 15 mins ago. Should be good to go tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That's crazy cheap with gaskets!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts