F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Is he going to tap or drill that baby out while it's in the truck?

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Is he going to tap or drill that baby out while it's in the truck?
That's the plan. Had those bolts been in a worse spot, may not be possible.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's the plan. Had those bolts been in a worse spot, may not be possible.
IMO i would just replace the manifold if possible. they are stupid cheap. either side is $82 bucks and you are already half way there with the turbo out of the way

·
Registered
512 Posts
and i would not be surprised if your local dealer has one on the shelf. We do

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
and i would not be surprised if your local dealer has one on the shelf. We do
Still strapped for cash, and the dealer did not have a passenger side one in stock, nor the gaskets, nor the studs.

I did get back from there just now. had to wait 2 days for these 2 bolts. These are for the oil line mount to turbo. Posting up the part # for those who need it.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
IMO i would just replace the manifold if possible. they are stupid cheap. either side is $82 bucks and you are already half way there with the turbo out of the way
At least I had the foresight on that one. Using all new nuts and bolts for this whole job, taking stuff off in 6 months if need be, should be no problem. I just need my working truck so I can go make more money at this point. Driving my wifes Taurus for a week was very deflating.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You should live stream the surgeon in action! Well at least take lot of photos.
????

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the P0299 code in December, a few days before starting a cross-country road trip. I saw this thread today and after the small series of heart attacks I had after thinking I might need to have one of my turbos replaced, I can confidently say (a) I'm glad it didn't come to that for me, and (b) I would have no chance at doing it myself lol. I definitely applaud you folks for being able to take that task on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
@Mikedick77 just saw this post. I have a 2012 f150 EB I removed and had both turbos rebuilt and then reinstalled them.

I too broke off one of those pesky T47 manifold bolts. Luckily I drilled it in the center and ruined a few taps but finally the old bolt came out. If you need any more advice PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got the job done. It was a capital B for sure today. He got the other 2 bolts out easily with a real torch and impact. The broken stud had broken flush with the turbo, so there was sufficient meat left to turn the bolt out. No tap. The old turbo spilled about 2 Pepto caps of oil out of the input turbine side, which is the side that ended up being wrecked. I had to clean out my IC and all piping because of that. All in all runs good now, but I sure wouldn't want that job again.

We did manage to swap this without loosening up the drivers side down pipe, and also, since I had no new jiffy tite connector for the back of the engine, we left that damn 2nd coolant line on for the whole removal/install. I know Dan gave the job a 7/10, but if you want to add a challenge for yourself, and kick it up to a solid 8.5/10, it's the way to go!! ;)

The verdict on the off brand turbos is they work. I didnt get on it. I figure I owe it a break in before I slap the tune back on and have some fun. I'll have more on that later on.

Here's a pic of the damage.

Thanks to all who've contributed, Big special thanks to DNADan. Your input here, and on other threads has really helped alot. Thanks for what you do!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I have all the parts listed in my threads. I have my OEM turbos, you should have PM'd me! I hope the off brand works for you.

So what exactly happened the stock one?

The coolant line stays in as you did, that is fine. I had issues with he horizontal one where it enters the block at the fitting. That fitting at the block was leaking until we modified the bracket.

Ya, everyone says the manifold studs break. I take that as the ones in the block. They come out easy. People only have the very back one break when consistantly in high heat(towing) not upon removal. The ones that break during removal are those three you said at the turbo. I broke one on each side but did not really try to be careful because I put the CRP manifolds in with new studs.

Finally, how the hell are your coolant lines so rusted?

edit on my thread page 10 i put the link to this thread if anyone else sees this

Ford Racing Turbo M-9438-35TA

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good deal. Glad you got it all stitched back up. Looks like you owe your buddy more than just a beer. So are you a broken bolt expert now?

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Coolant lines are rusted probably cause it was a Canada truck, and now resides in the salt in WI. Luckily the back fitting didnt leak. We tried not to disturb it much. I actually cut the WG linkage to get it out of the truck. Old turbo didnt have to care.

And yeah Dan, I owe him. He's my cousin so, he's doing a bathroom remodel with a hot tub, so that's where i come in. I'm no expert on stuck bolts. He did that part so we could get it done and move on. He's more the brains, I'm more the labor kind of deal. Pretty much he ran the show.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Finally, how the hell are your coolant lines so rusted?

edit on my thread page 10 i put the link to this thread if anyone else sees this

Ford Racing Turbo M-9438-35TA
This is a hell of a thread for anyone else having issues locating part #'s, and if you have the spare cash, a setup that I wish I had. I didn't have the extra cash to do what I wanted, so the turbos were out. But every bolt and seal listed in Woo's thread.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
An update on this after a week. No leaks at all. Tune reinstalled, and it seems to have more ooomph than it did. Probably had a failing turbo that I pushed over the edge. For anyone needing to do this job on the cheap, the Pure Energy turbos work well, even with a basic tune. I'm not sure with bleeding edge stuff that's what you'd want. But for an OEM or just over OEM, seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So what was the total replacement cost minus the bathroom remodel? :LOL:

Reactions: Mikedick77
41 - 58 of 58 Posts