F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work, on factory stock tune, the one recently updated with recall.
Boom, went to limp mode 80mph in traffic. Tough to get over when you have no gas pedal.
P2112 started right up again. Drove to work.

I have been thinking it was running a little rougher lately.

Throttle body cleaning? This work for anyone?

2013 140k miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So searching throttle body yielded nothing. But searching the error code p2112 yielded tons of threads advising to check the other thread.
Which other thread?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does cleaning the throttle body help, or does it just need a new one?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got some throttle body cleaner and sprayed it out.
I only took off the intake, I didn't remove the throttle body.
There was black soot or something in there.

It did it once in the way to work and once in the way home. I got a new air filter while I was at it.

If it does it again, it's straight to the dealer.
Auto zone could not find a code. My tuner gave me the code. I called the dealer and it was $450 for the oem throttle body part. Auto zone has it for $150, forget the brand.

Reading the posts, it may be warranted and sometimes aftermarket doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank all of you for your replies!

So it's been 2 days since the cleaning and air filter and no problems.

I almost wonder if it was the air filter. Throttle body did not look bad, but I cleaned it anyway.

I had gotten an air filter that let a smaller particle size threw, it was dirty and I knew it, but maybe it all added up.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have no input on the subject at hand, just figured I'd give you a reply since no one else has....LOL.. I know personally i'm having a hard time adjusting the the new layout and format of the forum, maybe that is the case with many others??

hopefully the new air filter and TB cleaning fixed your problem. It's probably time I give my TB a good cleaning as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your story sounds very similar. I took the truck in Friday before labor day weekend for the shifting recall, pretty quick and painless. Drove up in the Mtns Saturday, on the way home acceleration pwr just died, orange wrench, P2112 DTC. Debated trying to make it home since we were in the middle of nowhere, let it cool down and was able to limp home. Next day started up with no CEL and no issues, didn't really drive it around the following week, until I had to pick my kid up at school, on the way there it did the same thing, loss of acceleration, this time there was no CEL or P211 DTC, was able to limp back and forth and called dealer to ask if it would have anything to do with the recall fix the week before. Of course they said no and to bring it in so they can run diagnostics. So I did, brought it in this past Friday, heard back from them the following Tuesday, they said it is a bad Throttle Body, along with wanting to replace spark plugs + boots (I did that a few months back so they couldn't be bad that quickly), along with the injection service to get rid of carbon buildup, total costing $1300, with no guarantee that would fix it, they would then keep it longer and drive it around. I asked them to send me a price breakdown so I could talk to the wife then make a decision. I already know what the decision is, I want to see what they charge for everything. Going on 2nd day now, I'm traveling, and they still haven't emailed me the price breakdown.

I'd like to know if the injection service is bs or actually helpful, if anyone knows?? I plan on getting my truck back from them when I get back in town and doing everything myself, with the exception of the injection cleaning, would like to know more about it and how much it costs first.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
if it happens again replace the throttle body if that is the code that comes up,mine acted up for about 2 weeks and finally threw the code,yep autozone wanted 140 bucks for the same one from rockauto i got it for 80.00 dollars shipped exact same brand.been working since june.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been working through the same issue with the P2112 code (Throttle Actuator stuck closed) for a few months now! My 2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost issue is very intermittent and I can go days with zero issues, then suddenly goes into Limp mode! Fortunately so far, I am always able to turn the key to off position and then restart with zero issues!
Question! I have decided to replace the entire Throttle Body but having a tough time on deciding to go with either the after market BBK 73mm Performance TB or replace with the OEM stock TB? I have read about the many issues that come with after market Throttle Bodies, but none mention if they are the cheap, poor quality knock-offs or if the BBK 73mm Performance TB is included with having multiple issues?
Does anyone have any experience with the BBK 73mm Performance Throttle Body or hear of any compatibility issues??

·
1,844 Posts
While I have zero experience with a BBK on an EcoBoost, I have used their products before. They’re a nice piece and comparatively speaking have a noticeably “bigger hole”. This all seems nice and no doubt would be beneficial on an all out performance engine. That said, my personal opinion (which is worth absolutely zilch) is that you will never notice a performance increase using a BBK on a less than a no holds barred EcoBoost engine. I personally want to see some real benefits when I install performance parts. I just don’t think that would be the case here.

Onice again, this is only my opinion but I believe that the only way you’ll see/feel a noticeable improvement is if the throttle body happens to be the weak link in the air path and that by opening it up you can mix a little more fuel. I’m sure you will see others that will tell you the exact opposite of what I’m telling you and many of those will perhaps be BBK owners. I have to wonder if in some of these instances that there is a need to indicate an improvement simply because the money has been spent. We all seem to have a need to justify what we’ve done and that it was a good decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree and support your post 100% GearHead_1, thanks for your input!
But remember, my previous post didn’t state anywhere that I was asking about the BBK 73mm Throttle Body HP gains or High Performance possibilities. I asked if the BBK 73mm TB is a better choice than replacing with the Stock OEM Ford TB. In other words does the BBK have any known compatibility issues with the 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost and does it perform as well or even better than the stock Ford OEM TB? Is it simply a Plug & Play TB? Or am I better off installing a New Ford OEM Throttle Body?
I should also mention that I run an aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Dual Filter Cold Air Intake and aFe XP 4” Exhaust! No Tune installed as of yet.

·
1,844 Posts
Sorry, I admit my head went down the performance road simply because the product you are considering is being manufactured for that very purpose. Since this isn’t a primary consideration for you I would think much of what you’ll use to arrive at your decision would come down to product cost.

One thing about it you know that the Ford product works as designed for the most part with your application, it does seem like we see a few failures but there are a million of these out there. Admittedly, I’ve never seen anyone on this forum say their BBK has failed. I think it’s also fair to say that anytime you make changes that alter factory flow characteristics you could potentially introduce the unknown that perhaps no once else has experienced. There’s always a first. :) I’m also pretty sure that due to sample size getting real world A - B comparison data on a product like this vs. a factory piece could be tough.

You did mention that to this point you were not running a tune and that may be a good thing. I’m thinking that might be a worthy consideration when adding a product like this. Should bugs show up they can be addressed with your tune. I have seen these run on both Muskrats (Stang’s) and LS engines. To my eyes they appear to be a well made product.

I’ve rambled on here for a good while and in the end I’ve never seen one of these on a Boost. What I know about this application is nothing at all. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, I admit my head went down the performance road simply because the product you are considering is being manufactured for that very purpose. Since this isn’t a primary consideration for you I would think much of what you’ll use to arrive at your decision would come down to product cost.

One thing about it you know that the Ford product works as designed for the most part with your application, it does seem like we see a few failures but there are a million of these out there. Admittedly, I’ve never seen anyone on this forum say their BBK has failed. I think it’s also fair to say that anytime you make changes that alter factory flow characteristics you could potentially introduce the unknown that perhaps no once else has experienced. There’s always a first. :) I’m also pretty sure that due to sample size getting real world A - B comparison data on a product like this vs. a factory piece could be tough.

You did mention that to this point you were not running a tune and that may be a good thing. I’m thinking that might be a worthy consideration when adding a product like this. Should bugs show up they can be addressed with your tune. I have seen these run on both Muskrats (Stang’s) and LS engines. To my eyes they appear to be a well made product.

I’ve rambled on here for a good while and in the end I’ve never seen one of these on a Boost. What I know about this application is nothing at all. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Sometimes you just need to here this from someone else GearHead_1. Reading your response makes a lot of sense. Thanks for giving me some perspective!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts