F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 Ford EcoBoost F-150 going on two years now, from an insurance auction. It was a stolen recovery that had been vandalized. About 6 months ago I started having problems with the radio. Little did I know it was going to be a spiral from that point. It all started when my wife mention to me something about the radio crackling and popping. I ignored it thinking maybe there were broken wires in the door jamb, as of the vehicle had 240000 km on it, it's something to expect. About a month later I was driving the truck the speakers in the truck made a loud pop. The factory F150 stereo went out. I just lived with the inconvenience for a month or two, until I bought an aftermarket radio kit. I installed the radio and everything was fine but a couple days later the truck didn't start. Of course you read the title, so the battery was dead I charged it, thinking I had left something on but two days later it was dead again. I purchased the battery was secondhand, because when I bought the truck the battery was dead from sitting in an insurance yard for years. I thought it must be time for a new battery. I replace the battery, only to find two days later it was dead again. I tried hooking a multimeter to it and found it had a parasitic draw, I fought with this for a couple months, unhooking everything that wasn't Factory. I couldn't afford to take it to a dealership, so I was on the verge of selling the vehicle. Thats when I thought to myself I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a factory stereo for my truck. Luckily I found 2 hours from my home for $150 a bargain considering the dealership wants over $1,000 for it. I hooked up the radio the truck was fixed immediately. I've never had a problem since and that was about 3 months ago. so if you're having a parasitic draw problem with your F-150 and you switched the factory radio for an aftermarket, try putting back in the factory head unit I found absolutely nothing saying anything on forums to this affect, so I'm sharing my story and hopes, that other F150 owners like myself that can't afford dealership shenanigans can once again enjoy ther f-150.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts
The aftermarket head was installed incorrectly.

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 3 of 3 Posts