F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So My parents want to borrow my truck a few times to tow this new trailer they are buying for at least a year before they put it on a permanent seasonal site.

My truck details

2011 3.5 EB, Super Crew Long box XLT think my yellow sticker is 1500+- payload. 34" Ko2 tires, 4" lift, 100% level front to back flat. No airbags or timbrens, not sure if I can get them that will work with the BDS lift blocks in the rear.

I tow my Scout II on an 18' gatormade trailer which is like a 6500-7000 lb load, no weight distribution at all and it tows it great minus the 2" front to back rake the wrong way lol.

New trailer Details
2021 Transcend XPLOR 260RB
Transcend Xplor 260RB (overall with tounge is 31.5 feet)
Dry weights 6147 lb Max Gross 7495 lbs
Dry tounge weight is 627 lbs

I told them it should be set up with a weight distribution hitch and that the dealer should be working that in the deal.
Will likely be the cheapest set up.

They do plan on a 12V battery and two 20 lb tanks on the tounge.

Plus what ever they stick in the trailer.

I told them to get 100% details on the WD hitch and have them set it up for them before it leaves their property even if it's just a rough set up.

The roads traveled to go where they like camping are only max 55 MPH roads (80-90km/h)

Any advice I can forward to them and or myself since it's my truck on the line...

I don't mind helping them because they are my parents lol and they helped me get insurance on my Scout when I couldnt get any in my name.

Thanks guys, they were hoping I'd tow it with no WD or Sways and I'm like hell no. I said at that length im pretty sure 2 sway bars is standard. However I'm not sure what size WD bars they should get.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Winchested....have them go to UHaul and get a Husky setup w/1 sway control ( can add a second if so inclined)
It will set them back around $500+ out the door I think...lifetime on the unit.
Screenshot_20200802-182709_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-182336_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-110147_Messages.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, Checked uhaul.com the only 8000/800 set ups they list are Curt Trutrack and ReesePro
And I don't think Uhaul actually has stores in Canada, only rentals.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,289 Posts
Husky is a good hitch, I have one. Mine is a double friction bar type. I think you need the double friction bars for a camper that large.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Or get a used Equal-i-zer on craigslist, which has sway control built in. Thats what I did and there were a bunch up for sale when I was looking. Its not a friction style, it instead uses the spring bars to push the trailer back into line. As the trailer swings out, the spring bars change angles relative to each other and it causes one of the bars to push/pull the trailer back into line.

The difference is that a friction setup acts like a shock absorber. If there is no movement the friction bar adds no resistance. If you are in a constant crosswind the trailer can step out sideways and stay there because once it swings out, the friction bar does nothing to pull it back in.

An Equalizer type hitch actively pulls the trailer back. I drove through Wyoming last october as a winter storm blew in. I dealt with 20-30 mph crosswinds and headwinds, with higher gusts, for 9 hours straight and was driving with one hand on the wheel and a Mcdonald Mcgriddle in the other with my cruise control set to 70 mph. No joke. Granted, my trailer is tiny compared to some (5500 lb 24’ total) but its like a rock.

I would say at least 1000 lb bars with that trailer but maybe 1200’s. If they have it at GVWR and a 15% tongue you will be closer to 1200 than 1000.

Reactions: fubar

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
You got this Winchested !!!! Any of the WDH mentioned above will work and go with 1200 lbs for hitch weight

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Or get a used Equal-i-zer on craigslist, which has sway control built in. Thats what I did and there were a bunch up for sale when I was looking. Its not a friction style, it instead uses the spring bars to push the trailer back into line. As the trailer swings out, the spring bars change angles relative to each other and it causes one of the bars to push/pull the trailer back into line.

The difference is that a friction setup acts like a shock absorber. If there is no movement the friction bar adds no resistance. If you are in a constant crosswind the trailer can step out sideways and stay there because once it swings out, the friction bar does nothing to pull it back in.

An Equalizer type hitch actively pulls the trailer back. I drove through Wyoming last october as a winter storm blew in. I dealt with 20-30 mph crosswinds and headwinds, with higher gusts, for 9 hours straight and was driving with one hand on the wheel and a Mcdonald Mcgriddle in the other with my cruise control set to 70 mph. No joke. Granted, my trailer is tiny compared to some (5500 lb 24’ total) but its like a rock.

I would say at least 1000 lb bars with that trailer but maybe 1200’s. If they have it at GVWR and a 15% tongue you will be closer to 1200 than 1000.
Now I am thinking my hitch is actually called a spring bar type. Has the hardened bars that rest on the steel perches. Spring bar friction ?

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Man I'd really say spring for an equalizer or something! The E4, husky centerline, Curt True-Track, recurve r3, recurve r6, they all have 4 points of sway control built in. I use the Curt True-Track and I'm convinced it is the reason my baby boost does so we'll almost maxed out.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Mine is a Husky Centerline so I guess it is springbar type.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's guys I'll let them know to be more up into the 1000/1200 lb bars.

The thing is this trailer will only be towed littlerally within 1 hour of where we live and it will be towed with no water etc as they are always on sites with city water hook up's and sewer.

The plan is to have it on a seasonal site permanent early next year.

It will never see freeway unless I borrow it.

They are glampers not travel campers lol.

They currently have an old 94' Winnebago Brave that is falling apart and they want to replace it with this.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Husky offers both chain style and "bar in L bracket" style hitches. This is the one with sway control like the E4. There are spring loaded detents in the head which resist being off center and encourage the trailer to stay straight, and the friction of the bars on the L brackets resists swaying also.

If I had it to do over I'd get a Recurve R6. The sway control is adjustable with brake pads in the hitch head, and it automatically disengages sway control when you turn sharply. Mine creaks and groans very loudly.
Screenshot_20200803-094132.jpg

I don't ever travel with water in any tanks. I pulled mine a little with no WDH. At 55 it was okay ish but I wouldn't want to get much over that at all. Might be okay to use a cheaper WDH but I don't think you're talking about a huge amount of money saved. I got mine for $450. It has 1000 lb bars.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Husky offers both chain style and "bar in L bracket" style hitches. This is the one with sway control like the E4. There are spring loaded detents in the head which resist being off center and encourage the trailer to stay straight, and the friction of the bars on the L brackets resists swaying also.

If I had it to do over I'd get a Recurve R6. The sway control is adjustable with brake pads in the hitch head, and it automatically disengages sway control when you turn sharply. Mine creaks and groans very loudly. View attachment 167605

I don't ever travel with water in any tanks. I pulled mine a little with no WDH. At 55 it was okay ish but I wouldn't want to get much over that at all. Might be okay to use a cheaper WDH but I don't think you're talking about a huge amount of money saved. I got mine for $450. It has 1000 lb bars.

Not sure on the Husky in your post, but the L-brackets and spring bars on the equalizer are supposed to be greased per their tech support. Mine's dead silent if I do grease it. Creaks like you say if I don't.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I just went to look and the Equal-i-zers are $650 now on amazon and eTrailer.com wants $850! Back when I bought mine they were like ~$500 new and I got mine used for like $275.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have the husky centreline with 1000lb bars. Trailer is 7500lbs gvwr and 29’ tip to tail. Any trailer over 30ft is going to need a WDH just for stability, even for a 1hr drive.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
A WDH is a luxury, regardless of whether it's a necessity. It "tunes" the whole rig for MUCH improved harmony of the physics involved.

Even if you could tow a trailer loaded with a pallets of grass in the WRONG placement on the trailer, why would you? With a little effort, you can dramatically improve how the trailer behaves and how it affects the tow vehicle.

An RV is no different, except that they are even more affected by the huge wind drag they can experience.

I know a WDH can be a pain in the butt to get it dialed in, but man they offer a big roi.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Sold my 1400 for 375 couple months back Sorry Winchested🤦‍♂️ Guess that was a great deal . Only had about 500 miles on her.. You’ll find one some where👍

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Not sure on the Husky in your post, but the L-brackets and spring bars on the equalizer are supposed to be greased per their tech support. Mine's dead silent if I do grease it. Creaks like you say if I don't.
You don't grease the L brackets where the spring bars connect, only the hitch head. Greasing the L brackets reduces their effectiveness, and that's the source of my noise.

The lubricating they recommend is for the pivot points in the head.

They do offer a plastic sleeve of sorts for the L bracket to reduce creaking.

View attachment 167606

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

If I had it to do over I'd get a Recurve R6. The sway control is adjustable with brake pads in the hitch head, and it automatically disengages sway control when you turn sharply. Mine creaks and groans very loudly.

This is like my Husky. Works very well but gotta set it up very well also.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts