F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
I wonder if part of the problem is that the owners don't realize half the tires out there are only rated for 65mph and there are only a few rated for 75+. I specifically bought 81 mph tires because I know I tow at 70 mph regularly and sometimes 75 mph.

But you're right. Literally every brand of trailer tires has some horrific review where some owner blew 4 tires in less that 3000 miles or something.
Well put. But that's just it!

Trailer tires have all these bizarre limits, or operating boundaries. Like the most common being "Maximum Speed Of 65mph".

What is it about the tire that it is supposedly safe at 65mph, but absolutely dangerous of failing at 75mph? Or, what IS different about that 75mph rated tire? They can actually add specifically 10mph worth of design change? Whatever that is, why leave it out of ANY trailer tire? What's 10mph co$t? 5 bucks?

Nobody would save $5 if they understood that 5 bucks is going to leave them stranded in the middle of nowhere in Utah. Lol

Like I said, trailer tires baffle me. Especially since regular car tires have dramatically improved over the decades. Likelihood of a flat tire is a mere fraction of what it once was.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well put. But that's just it!

Trailer tires have all these bizarre limits, or operating boundaries. Like the most common being "Maximum Speed Of 65mph".

What is it about the tire that it is supposedly safe at 65mph, but absolutely dangerous of failing at 75mph? Or, what IS different about that 75mph rated tire? They can actually add specifically 10mph worth of design change? Whatever that is, why leave it out of ANY trailer tire? What's 10mph co$t? 5 bucks?

Nobody would save $5 if they understood that 5 bucks is going to leave them stranded in the middle of nowhere in Utah. Lol

Like I said, trailer tires baffle me. Especially since regular car tires have dramatically improved over the decades. Likelihood of a flat tire is a mere fraction of what it once was.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I've heard a lot of talk about people going to LT E-range tires on trailers just so they don't have to worry about the nonsense.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,289 Posts
Has your's ever come on? I don't think mine has ever in almost 10k miles.
I turn it off every time I hitch up. Just part of the routine.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I turn it off every time I hitch up. Just part of the routine.
TBH i didn’t even know the 12th gens had it. I thought it was a 13th gen thing because all the issues I had heard of online were 13th gen trucks.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,289 Posts
Yep. I'm just glad I have the option to turn it off. I towed a large cargo trailer without WDH 600 miles 2 years ago and left it on.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
My father isn't going to turn something like that off. He won't go through the menus to do that. I told him if he feels a big sway to take foot off gas, no brakes and use the override on the brake Controller to bring the trailer back in line.

Nice thing is they said I can use the Blue ox when they aren't and use it on my car hauler when I'm towing the Scout. I think it will make the ride way better! Never have sway with that trailer as its only 21' long but it needs WDH.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
Has your's ever come on? I don't think mine has ever in almost 10k miles.
Mine has. When I first towed that Dakota home from Ohio I had the truck too far back on the trailer and the first time I tried to run it up to 65 I got some bad sway and it came on.

It doesn't activate until things get really hairy. And when it does you'll know, lights flash on the dash, it fires brakes individually, and you're straight again before you can even comprehend it all.

Best to just avoid it altogether, though. Ford allows it to get to brown pants status before it steps in.

After that, I leave mine on. It won't do anything during normal operation. If things get that bad again I absolutely want it stepping in.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

61 - 67 of 67 Posts